Jambands.ca

So how old is too old to go shows?

CyberHippie

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

It's an interesting question. Where do heads go when they grow up.

hahahaha,I know of this crazy commune in New Mexico where alot of heads end up not being able to cope without Jerry,kinda a walk in clinic for burned out hippies who are afraid of change & new music.

Happy bday to the hottest babe I know [Wink]

(well, that I have ever seen anyways)

"I know of this crazy commune in New Mexico where alot of heads end up not being able to cope without Jerry,kinda a walk in clinic for burned out hippies who are afraid of change & new music."

I am a Half-Step away from going there. This 'ole' pool cue aint straight in line..............

Happy birthday Trevor!

"When do I have to stop going to shows?"

NEVER ... that's my answer, and I'm sticking to it!

I'm not going to be thirtysomething for very much longer, but I feel twentysomething when I'm dancing and grooving. The getting older thing freaks me out from time to time, but I can't see myself ever wanting to stop going to live music shows.

Sometimes I feel that people think I'm a Narc, and sometimes I feel that people think I'm out because I'm not happy with my home life and I'm looking for a young hot babe, but most of the time I feel like I'm part of a community that accepts that I'm a music-loving dancing fanatic. And too fu@kin' bad for them if they think otherwise.

Sorry for the rant, but age 40 is staring at me right between the eyeballs, so I've been thinking about it lately.

Peace, Mark

Good advice people...

I love music so I still plan on hitting shows up as long as I can. Music is my main drug of choice, I'll keep getting my fix as much as I can.

I like Velvet's comment, if people think I'm a Narc, then I'm taking their drugs... hehe

Now that's out of the way, I believe I'll hit up Creaking Tree tonight for a little b-day cocktail.

This question is a special case of the more general question, "When shouldn't I go to a show?"

The best answer to that is, IMHO, this: you shouldn't go to a show when it would be too risky; in other words, if there's significant chance of harm to you or others by going to the show. This would include financial harm (e.g., going into debt when you can't afford it), harm to others (e.g., shirking on responsibilities [e.g., kids, commitments to friends, work, etc.], or acting in such a way as to hurt those around you), or harm to yourself.

And there isn't a single cut-off point: there have been times when I've skipped shows because I knew that to go to them would be bad for me; other times, I've had attendance streaks that would make Cal Ripken envious.

Each show is different, and you'll be in a different state (of body, of mind, of soul) for each one. If you feel you can make a show, go, and go with all your heart; if you feel you can't go, don't go, and don't feel bummed out. Know your limits, test them when necesarry, but play safe.

Aloha,

Brad

happy Birthday Trevor!!!!

I'll be sure to drink 8-10 beers in your name today:)

when i was in Vegas for winter tour last year, I was chilling in the upper levels of Thomas and Mack when a little phishhead walked up to me, and wanting to get by said "excuse me sir", my buddy and I felt pretty old at that point, however, I'm 32 now and feel younger than ever, thanks to my son,my girlfriend and all the shows I get to see! I'm going to keep gigging and going to see shows until i'm 80 years old and beyond...so in years to come when you see some wrinkled old dude somking a fatty as second set opens up and they wheel trey on stage in his chair/gurney...it may just be me.

Posted by Mark Tonin

"Sometimes I feel that people think I'm a Narc, and sometimes I feel that people think I'm out because I'm not happy with my home life and I'm looking for a young hot babe, but most of the time I feel like I'm part of a community that accepts that I'm a music-loving dancing fanatic. And too fu@kin' bad for them if they think otherwise."

- you rule Mark!!! Here Here!!!

Those are good valid criteria Brad. I don't think as a culture we give too much thought though to any rationale other than whether we can financially afford it or not. Even then that's not always such a compelling reason not to go. I have to admit the constant need to go to every show you possibly can is one of the troubling parts of our culture to me.

I agree too.

I'm way in debt but having fun is such a priority to me that I put it out of my head and give'er anyways to help me forget. But part of the scene exists because of things like going in debt and saying F.U. to creditors. The scene is rooted in values that don't necessarily gel with the current popular regimes of the world. If tripin'on a bus isn't anti-establishment, what is? [big Grin]

Originally posted by Velvet:

[QB] The shape I've chosen is a circle.

Hehe, I'm with ya on that one Velvet [Wink]

As for the age question, is there such a thing? I sure as hell hope not or I've been humiliating myself for quite some time now. Yeehaw, let the embarrassment continue!

And Trev, I sure hope you're gonna keep me company for a long time to come, over many birthday celebrations! [big Grin]

Archived