Jambands.ca

Ottawa Folkfest Lineup

bouche

It's the weekend after Labour Day (Sept 3)

Nothing says outdoor summer festival like having it in September after Labour Day. Arg. Is it really going from Thursday the 6th to Monday the 10th or is the 10th a typo?

Seems so odd to have it so late and ending on a Monday. Oh well. Was planning to go but now that I take note of the dates looks like I can't make it except for the Monday, so hope that night is good.

I volunteer for the festival and can help.

It is infact happening Thursday thru Monday inclusive and is now taking place on the weekend after Labour Day.

The reasons I heard for moving the festival to that weekend were numerous including 1) late August slow touring schedules by many bands 2) heavy touring and availability for acts at the start of September 3) the return of students to the Ottawa area 4) that historically the new weekend has nearly the same warm temperatures and more predictable weather patterns

It'll be good, just keep an eye out for the lineup. If last year was any indication this may suit the folks around here more than Bluesfest. At a a fraction of the price.

Honestly I didn't like the idea when I first heard but when I heard it presented and discussed it does actually work in the OFF's favour at least in attracting better talent.

As for the Monday, I'm thinking that the evening will feature the City and Colour, Avett Brothers, Hey Rosetta!, Grey Kingdom. That guess is based solely on the Wednesday Toronto date. I just have a hunch on this one.

Edited by Guest

I think it's odd that it's not on the labour day weekend, but I don't remember folkfest having any direct tie to labour day weekend. Bluesfest doesn't plan itself for any special long weekend.

IMHO, if the chose the weekend based on artist scheduling then that is probably a wise decision which should make music fans happy. I guess we'll see what they have in store.

I should have also mentioned two more things:

1) that the Ottawa Folk Fest relies on nearly 700 volunteers to help things run smoothly. It would be certainly be tougher to get all of those people to commit their time over a long weekend.

2) it likely doesn't only come down to artist availability but also cost. In September you can book artists on routed tours, instead of paying for one off shows in August. Due to expenses, those one off show contracts can be very costly.

Edited by Guest

Those are all excellent reasons Sean, thanks for sharing. I guess I'm just very surprised - last time I was able to attend (2010) it began Aug 12 or 13.

Still, disappointed that they moved the dates.

Edited by Guest

Lineup Announced

Abrams Brothers

Amy Helm

Ann Downey

Belle Starr

Ben Harper

Black Dogs

Bombino

Bon Iver

Catriona Sturton

Corb Lund