Jambands.ca

Ottawa Folkfest Lineup

bouche

It's probably more fair and accurate to compare folkfest with folkfest. I spent a day there a few years ago or so, and there wasn't much going on AT ALL. Aside from some pretty outstanding bluegrass acts in the afternoon and It's quite amazing how much it has changed for the better.

This is interesting: (emphasis is mine)

As is traditional at the folk festival, side-stage concerts, workshops and family activities will take place during daytime hours. The big difference this year is that this portion of the program will be free. You won’t need a ticket to access the western half of the site, including the kids’ zone.

By opening that part of the park to the public, organizers are able to avoid over-fencing the area. A big problem last year was the fencing that ran along the bike path, which kept the path open but obstructed the flow of the site. Another benefit of this year’s open concept is to let people familiarize themselves with the workshop program.

“Maybe you’ll draw a bigger audience if you don’t ask people to pay for it,†says Monahan. “The whole barricading up and down of the bike path was just so much of a headache, so inconvenient for people. Why not encourage people to come out with their families and check it out? The model for this is to get people out to the park.â€

This is interesting: (emphasis is mine)
As is traditional at the folk festival, side-stage concerts, workshops and family activities will take place during daytime hours. The big difference this year is that this portion of the program will be free. You won’t need a ticket to access the western half of the site, including the kids’ zone.

By opening that part of the park to the public, organizers are able to avoid over-fencing the area. A big problem last year was the fencing that ran along the bike path, which kept the path open but obstructed the flow of the site. Another benefit of this year’s open concept is to let people familiarize themselves with the workshop program.

“Maybe you’ll draw a bigger audience if you don’t ask people to pay for it,†says Monahan. “The whole barricading up and down of the bike path was just so much of a headache, so inconvenient for people. Why not encourage people to come out with their families and check it out? The model for this is to get people out to the park.â€

I understand the desire to get more people out, but unless there is some fencing on the eastern portion- then people buying their passes are only getting the Main Stage performances for their $99 or $129. Every other act plays on the "free side".

And Flip if you'd like to volunteer on my crew I would be happy to have you. Let me know I will note your name to the powers that be.

Edited by Guest

they're very clear on the site that they don't give a shit about people that aren't from around here. What will it take to get a little known troubadour booked for 2013?

nathan's allowed in our country so it's perfectly feasible.