Jambands.ca

What can you tell me about Belleville?

Hartamophone

If it's a short term contract then the professional development should outweigh the social condition, no?

Yes and no. It's less a "social" thing and more a question of whether it is worth it for me to have a several-months-long interruption in a life that is about to start almost looking like something vaguely resembling "normal" and doesn't have me moving more than once a year.

My wife is from Belleville and we got married there last summer at Alberts College. There's a side of Belleville that is really picturesque - beautiful historic homes and downtown buildings.

Downtown area is a little bleak, cute businesses, but some some empty or failing businesses... the Mega Quinte Mall and surrounding box stores and plazas have really hurt the downtown core, but has all the necessities and then some.. There is a revitalization going on, a restaurant opening and further development of waterfront areas.

My favorite spot the "Bohemian Penquin" shut down a couple years ago and was a spot for folk/rock music and inexpensive food.

The County as it's known is only a short drive from down and it's an exciting area full of wineries, bed n breakfasts and cute cottage industries. Sandbanks Provincial Park also in that area.

There are definitely worse places you could be than Belleville, i'd put Sudbury, Sarnia, Windsor, Cornwall as worse places.

-J

Edited by Guest

My sister is a dietician at the Belleville General and my brother-in-law is involved with the BIA in the County (he works in Picton). If you could commute from a spot in the County - Picton or Bloomfield - to Belleville, do so. JFD pretty much nailed it, but I find Belleville one of the most dead and depressing cities that I've visited in the province (even Gault, Trenton and Brantford have more going for them)... and FUCK the BULLS.

County wine is really coming along. My favourite winery is Huff Estates. There are over 65 other wineries in the County and Barley Days Brewery (yes, I hate the name too) makes pretty good beer. Picton also has a great old theatre and a chef school. The town's main street is functional and vibrant, and doesn't cater to tourists.