Jambands.ca

Just another manic monday

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Every Monday I come back to the same building to do the same non-rewarding task for five days. I call it my 'job'. It pays my bills and then some. This job provides security, comfort, and stability. However at the end of the day I feel like I've accomplished nothing and feel like I literally wasted my time.

I'm in a comfortable rut that sucks all motivation from my very being. I hate it, but I can't break the cycle.

Anybody ever been in this kind of situation? What did you do?

quote:

Originally posted by Z:

...However at the end of the day I feel like I've accomplished nothing and feel like I literally wasted my time

I hear ya...I often feel like I am just hangin' out at Holland Cross Mon-Fri 9-5. So I decided to start learning again...borrowed a Unix book last week.

Learn something new everyday...it will make your day worthwhile.

quote:

Originally posted by Z:

Every Monday I come back to the same building to do the same non-rewarding task for five days. I call it my 'job'. It pays my bills and then some. This job provides security, confort, and stability. However at the end of the day I feel like I've accomplished nothing and feel like I literally wasted my time.

I'm in a confortable rut that sucks all motivation from my very being. I hate it, but I can't break the cycle.

Anybody ever been in this kind of situation? What did you do?

i quit my job of 6 year for the very same reasons(great pay, 5 weeks holidays, but the environment sucked the life from me daily). i have never felt better in my life after walking out of that office.

Guest Low Roller

I find someone to go out for lunch with, and bitch about it.

I do that all too often. I started going out on lunch bitch sessions five times a week. My waistline took a real hit.

Then if I'm not completely drained when the evening comes around, I try to find some live music going on around town, to take me away.

Discovering the Ottawa music scene about two years ago to the day was probably the best thing that happened to me in a long long time.

And of course, there is always "The Sanctuary".

I hit RELOAD once a minute.

Learn something new everyday...it will make your day worthwhile.

I have huge problems focussing on anything for more than five minutes. I'm starting to think I have ADD or something.

i quit my job of 6 year for the very same reasons(great pay, 5 weeks holidays, but the environment sucked the life from me daily). i have never felt better in my life after walking out of that office.

Did you find a job that didn't soul-suck you?

Doesn't everyone hate their 9-5 job?!

I hope not.

I am one of those who doesn't hate thier day job!

I LOVE my job...I get all youse guys home safe and sound...(knock on wood!) Get to hear crazy stories, good conversations, some dude has already offered to "have my back" if someone threatens me!

It's great...sorry to rub it in!

However...If I need cheering up and am all by myself, I like to sing songs and make sounds into the PA system on the bus...

Talk about fun!

OH YA!!!

This was a good one I used to do when I worked for Bell...

When someone got up from thier desk, and I knew there were going to be back shortly ie bathroom break, I would go and hide under thier desk...then they'd come back, sit down, and I would grab their knee...Friggin priceless...So anyways...someone wanted to get me back, so they completely soaked my chair...hoping I'd sit in it...Wrong, I caught them in the act and switched chairs...I short while later my boss came to sit with me and go over some stuff...She grabbed the wet chair and sat right down...It was great...

Guest Low Roller

Office pranks are good and all, however nobody here has a trace of personality that would allow these pranks to pass as acceptable behaviour.

quote:

Originally posted by CatPhish:

Maybe you just need to bring in a picture of Dave-O.

There's a good example of someone I think was stuck in the same rut I was, but managed to get out. He had some pretty good motivation to help him though.

ya work can be a bit of a drag sometimes. Here are some suggestions to make it better...

1. be wary of the lunchtime bitchfests - feeling negative about something can become very habitual, sometimes taking about all the shit that bugs you at work can really bring you down.

2. Get a hobby

3. Nugs are good

4. Listen to more Grateful Dead

5. Talk to your boss about taking on some additional responsibilities at work...this can make the job way more interesting

I left Smiths Falls. You should try that!

Seriously, just start looking for another job. Let everyone know what you do, what you can do, and keep checking through all of the resources you know from time to time for positions in their place-of-work, or someone they know. Eventually you'll hear of something before you truely burn out.

http://jobs.gc.ca/jobs/ottawa_e.htm

quote:

Originally posted by plasticboat:

I am one of those who doesn't hate thier day job!

I enjoyed my last gig. I liked the work, and I got more respect from my coworkers than most folks in my field expect to get. My manager was fabulous.

However, job security is a fantasy in high tech, no matter how good you are.

if you hate a job (or anything else you do) don't do it. if you like something, keep doing it. that is all i know (almost literally) i love my job. i make no money but i know i have found my place. i just keep holding on to it in hopes that i will be able to move up and make more money. i am actively persuing this option too. i am so broke but very happy. and my job loves me right back. i know these things too.

Archived