• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by bouche:

I love that Rush tune that goes....

baaa da da da da baaaa da da da da

baaa da da da da baaaa da da da da

Interesting opinions on what this might be - 'cause it sounds like "Distant Early Warning" to me!!

Rush is okay - just not the "2112" stuff... and I hate "Red Barchetta"... '80s Rush was excellent, IMHO.

• 3 years later...

I was a serious junkie of the band in high school, worked at learning to play the stuff as my first foray into guitar, and saw them a handful of times, but gave them up around Power Windows, when the songwriting (and playing) seemed to have gone more two-dimensional. I've been dipping into it again, though, every now and then, especially now with youtube showing them doing their thing live, and nicely evolved from the albums that I listened to to death. I respect them tremendously as musicians still; I don't have much time for the older albums (I doubt I could sit through side one of 2112), but the run from Farewell to Kings to Signals still strikes me as a good one.

It's helped me appreciate them again that the three guys show more and more personality and playfulness. Lifeson's bit in TPB really did it for me, I'm sure.

Ricky: "calm down, its not like its Helix or something...Helix was a wicked concert - fuck I sold a lot of dope at that show...I mean, they had good lyrics - Give me an R - O - C - K, and then the crowd yells "Rock" really loudly. Now thats a fuckin' concert. Rush just don't do stuff like that. They got these lyrics about how trees are talking to each other and how different sides of your brain work, or outerspace bullshit"

Bubbles: (annoyed) "gimme a fuckin' R..."

I saw rush 2 summers in a row at the molson amp. Fuck that was a good show. Plus at the Hummingbird I saw Primus cover YYZ.

this is just like genesis - I love anything and everything they did before 1977, yet I HATE everything they've done after. The actual percentage of Rush matierial I enjoy is very small, and even though I hate a big chunk of it I can't say they stink or suck. It takes a musician's ear to enjoy, and the abilitity to tune out geddy's face/voice.

TPB season 3 ep 5

http://www.dailymotion.com/colbybear/video/xk5jn_s03e05-trailer-park-boys

Ricky: "calm down' date=' its not like its Helix or something...Helix was a wicked concert[/quote']

:D !

I have to laugh every time I see that moment; those guys went to the same high school as timouse and me.

Ok - who would you rather sit through, then - Rush, or Helix?

...and i briefly shared rehersal space with helix.

they were weenies.

I like Rush.

Where did Mr.Musicface go?

I have a theory and I think it's true. Jay became disenchanted with the lack of praise and press his band received throughout his tenure on Jambands.ca and he finally had enough. I understand this even though I think he made the wrong choice - hypothetically speaking of course. I respect Jay as a musician and a person.

I love when this happens! Someone resurrects a 3 year old thread and people just carry on the conversation like nothing happened, hahaha.

FWIW, Rush sounded like Led fucking Zeppelin in the 70s and I have nothing but respect for the 3 musicians in the band, although I would never listen to any of their albums after Moving Pictures.

P.S. Great TPB quote Kooky, "gimme a fuckin' R" muttered by Bubbles with complete disdain.

I think people need to separate suck from I don't like their music.

Rush DO NOT Suck. they are better musicians than anyone here on this board will ever be. They write better songs than anyone on the board will ever write. They sell more albums than anyone on this board ever will.

I may not stylisticaly love rush but the definately do not suck.

I was a Rush hater for years due to the cheesy lyrics, high-pitched shrieking, and dated sounding recordings. I liked some of the music but couldn't get past all the other stuff. Then I heard their live in Rio CD and everything changed. It's one of the best live albums I've heard. I spent months after that rediscovering Rush and loving it. Incidently, for all those who lost faith in post-Signals Rush; check out their most recent albums again. I thought Vapour Trails and the Feedback EP were great. Geddy's voice has become less abrasive with age, they've mostly abandoned the synths, and Peart is no longer writing about spacemen. Good stuff!

Archived