Jambands.ca

What was your first concert?

Blurry

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Pops, who rarely attended concerts, scored tickets to see Paul Simon during the Graceland tour. And all of ladysmith Black Mombazo was there too.

holy shit. what i wouldn't give to see that tour!!!! and for your first show too, wow.

keri - those are golden. GOLDEN. i just talked to dacosta this week, too. miss that kid!!

tragically hip with the odds as opener on february 9, 1994 or 1995, it was either my thirteenth or fourteenth birthday. either way my older sister and her friends thought it would be funny to get me really stoned, so they "made" me smoke pot in the show. little did they know i had been stealing theirs for months already. :D

Momentary Lapse of Reason World Tour

Pink Floyd with Richard Wright, Jon Carin, Scott Page, Guy Pratt, Tim Renwick, Gary Wallis, Rachel Fury and Margaret Taylor. Setlist: Pretty the same as in Delicate Sound of Thunder

Sept. 9 1987- Landsdown Park, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I was 11

band called Saga at Hamilton Place when I was 12 or 13, with an unknown Brian Adams opening

(Saga had laser drum sticks which where pretty neat at the time, an unpretentious Brian Adams put on a good set too)

think I got dragged to a Shawn Cassidy concert at the CNE that my sister was dying for when I was 9 or something... no comment on that then or now

When I was five or six, I saw James Taylor in Central Park in NYC. I remember weird, long-haired people hanging out everywhere, it WAS a free show ::!

I saw Beatlemania in '82 or '83 at the Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford, Ct. Once again, those weird long-haired people were there. This time, they were up in the balcony, getting flashlights in their faces from the ushers.

Then, in April of '84, an old buddy of mines' older brother decided to take his younger bro and friend to see the Grateful Dead. This time, those same long-haired freaks were there, and I seemed to recognize a pattern ::.

p.s. Kung and Esau,

I did see Richard Manuel in Hartford w/the Band, opening up for CSN in '86. Soon after, RM was dead and David Crosby was in jail :( and Reagan was still president.

One of the highlights of that night for me was 'Tears of Rage'+ the rest of the Band's set. I had just discovered 'Music from Big Pink'.

peace

Great thread!

The first 2 concerts that I attended with my friends were in 1980. I don't remember which one was first. One was BB Gabor at the Welland Arena (does anyone else know who this is?!?) and the other was Rush & Max Webster at the Aud in Buffalo. Neither one stands out as being that great, but I do have clear memories of both of those concerts.

At the risk of dating myself, I was 16ish at the time of both of those concerts. It looks like I started going to concerts pretty late in life compared with many of you ...

Peace, Mark

My first concert was Lollapalooza '91, my best friend was into almost every band on the bill, and had slowly gotten me interested in Jane's Addiction and Nine Inch Nails0. I was already into a lot of rap at the time, so Ice-T (with Bodycount!!! ::) was a good enough reason to go for me. Jane's, NIN, Ice-T/Bodycount, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Living Color, Rollins Band and Butthole Surfers... Needless to say, I was, for the most part, blown away...

On a side note, Lollapalooza '92 had it's share of good music as well. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ministry, Ice Cube, Soundgarden, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Pearl Jam and Lush. Peppers sucked it up, I left during their last song. Ministry BLEW MY MIND... Amazing set, so much intensity. Ice Cube kicked ass. This was before he had any big hits, the crowd cleared out before his set and I got right up front. Ice Cube was the shit as far as I was concerned, and this was definately the highlight of the show for me, as well as the main reason I went. Soundgarden played Cop Killer, which was cool, Jesus & Mary Chain were ok, Pearl Jam played well, but I still hate them all the same, and Lush were boo... We got hammered on the bus ride up. Good times...

My first concert was Huey Lewis and the News whenever they were about to put out the album FOUR. They were absolutely my favourite band at that time. I think I was six or seven. After that I'm not really sure. I think Bruce Cockburn was next followed by Pat Metheny group when I was ten. That Pat Metheny show really had an impact on me. It was with Lyle Mayes and the original group. I'll never forget hearing "Are you going with me?" wow.... check out the live album "Travels" I think its from around that time.

I'll chime in on this one. My first concert if you can call it that was Beatlemania also. This was at Hamilton Place in I think 81 or 82. My first real concert that I went to with my girlfriend was Aztec Camera in 85 at the Concert Hall. They closed with their rendition of Jump (Van Halen) which knocked my then burgeoning counter culture socks off. It was a great way to say f*ck you to all the Hair music of the day. I'm so fcking lame though because I should have gone to see U2 at the Gardens for my first but I sold my tickets because I had an exam the next day.

BTW Saga did rock. I had In Transit on Cassette and it got heavy rotation in my Walkman. Also for all those Gowan fans did you know he is know the frontman for Styx. Weird stuff.

the first show I ever went too was I Mother Earth at the vibe here in ptbo when I was 13 . . . they were my favourite band at the time, and I got to meet them after the show and I was quite pleased. This was the first time I ever smoked a joint, as well.

My first big out-of-town-road-trip-with-friends-show was MMW at the Harbourfront Centre a couple of summers ago - first and only time I did acid, actually, as well.

Pink Floyd Sept. 9 1987- Landsdown Park, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I was there too. City Hall got bombarded with noise complaints the next day and our mayor suggested the band used volume to make up for what it lacked in talent. The Jim Durrel hate-on began in full effect that day.