Jambands.ca

What was your first concert?

Blurry

Mine would probably be Tulipalooza in Ottawa 1992 or 1993. Line-up was Blinker The Star, Punchbuggy, Furnace Face, and a fourth band that's on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember... Punchbuggy kicked ass. I still have one of their tapes that I bought at the show.

First major arena show I went to was Smashing Pumpkins in 1995 at the Corel Centre.

Ha ha low roller, that was my first show too!

The other band was 13 Engines, I think.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first concert... went with my parents to wonderland. amy grant was playing so i sold my ticket. parents were pissed, i was better for it.

hmm, once won tickets to see Cinderella and Slaughter at the KW aud.

first big show: pleasureforce and syrous, renegades with jack frost, rap, hype, trace, ltj bukem, and every other jungle dj a 1995 era raver could want to see.

first concert in this era: bob dylan and paul simon at pine knob 1999(?)

oooohhhh, i remember when my sister and mom went to see bonjovi at the ex. i wanted to go, but was too young (about 10). i guess my mom didnt want me exposed to that much hair. they brought me a t-shirt. booooooo-on jovi.

Mine was Guns N Roses w/ The Brian May Band @ Copps Coliseum, some time around '91 or '92 or '93?? It was a magical night. Someone from stage left chucked a bottle and hit Axl. Axl then gave the crowd the finger and fled the stage, leaving SLash to bring it on home! hhehee.

Mine would probably be Tulipalooza in Ottawa 1992 or 1993. Line-up was Blinker The Star, Punchbuggy, Furnace Face, and a fourth band that's on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember... Punchbuggy kicked ass. I still have one of their tapes that I bought at the show.

First major arena show I went to was Smashing Pumpkins in 1995 at the Corel Centre.

Ha ha low roller, that was my first show too!

The other band was 13 Engines, I think.

I was there TOO!! Not my first, but I was there, and heavily dosed! I think the Mystic Zealots played too. doughboys? Legendary night.. Furnaceface were the shit.

first show? Huey Lewis and the News, 87ish? at Landsdowne Park. ::

Yes Mystic Zealots were there and also Fun For Malaki (featuring Ian Lefeuvre, pre Starling fame), that was the tape I bought.

1985-ish: GOWAN at the Kingston Memorial Center.

Hah, me too bouche, although it was the Ontario Place Forum show! I even know the exact date, May 31, 1985 'cus it was the same night of the Barrie Tornado. The weather was really horrific in Toronto as well, but we were lucky enough to have come down really early and got the covered seats. I remember the encore was "Imagine", and on the way out the sky finally cleared and everyone filing out of the venue stared singing "Imagine" again spontaneously. Very cool!

Actually, the VERY first concert I ever went to was probably a Donny & Marie show my parents took me too at the Forum in the really early 80s. But Gowan was the first one I went to without adult supervision.

Oh, and the first concert that I actually bought a ticket for thou (the Ontario Place shows were free with admission in those days) was (as some folks might have guessed) [color:"red"]RUSH, March 1986 at Maple Leaf Gardens on the Power Windows tour. Openers were FM.

Peace,

Mr. M.

My Pops, who rarely attended concerts, scored tickets to see Paul Simon during the Graceland tour. And all of ladysmith Black Mombazo was there too. It was at Maple Leaf Gardens I think but I'm a little sketchy on the year (87 or 88?). Even as a 10 year old I remember that concert being incredible.

After a 4 year hiatus I think Sloan and Jale at the Warehouse in TO was the first show I bought tickets for.

Chewie, 1990!? What took you so long to get your rock on? Bring a blank t-shirt over some time and we can do up one those shirts for ya. I think I have some transfers laying around.

Purple Foot: I was at that NIN NYE show too. It was my third time seeing them I think. Got a great long-sleeve from it. Did you see the two goth girls walking around so sad-looking, like they were going home to committ suicide after the show... one pulling the other with a leash around her neck? Very interesting... esp. on the brown. Saw that couple at two differennt NIN shows. They probably couldn't wait to get out to the next show and freak poeple out.

Meggo: "aw keri you and dacosta! and i bet you both had the hockey hair in full force. so cute."

We certainly did, Meggo! Here's pictures of us from that same summer of '91:

Jason:

aai.jpg back: aah.jpg

Keri:

aak.jpg back: aaj.jpg

As is evident from our comments, we were total rock heads even back then. We spent the summer on the front porch of his busy Queen Street home, getting random strangers to come on up and rock out with us to Jimi Hendrix and Boston. We offerred pink lemonade.

And here's one of our team mates, "Little Andy McDonald," who now weighs two times the mere 95 pounds he did back then and plays for The Anaheim Mighty Ducks!

aag.jpg

Hockey hair all around!!

Guest Low Roller

Yes Mystic Zealots were there and also Fun For Malaki (featuring Ian Lefeuvre, pre Starling fame), that was the tape I bought.

I don't remember Mystic Zealots or Fun For Malaki being there (it might've been a different day), and it wasn't Doughboys or 13 Engines that was the fourth band..... shit, what are they called?! It's on the tip of my tongue.............

I know I'm going to wake up screaming the name of the band at 4am or something.

Guest Low Roller
low roller: kill joys? 5440? those are two that come to mind when I think of 13 engines and doughboys.

SULLY!

That was their fücking name!

backbackon- I did not see those particular goths but quite a number of other freaks moping about. I did however see what appeared to be an overdose victom. There was one person screaming " He's fucking OD'd!" and everyone else seemed to fucked up to do anything about it. I hope he came out o.k.

OK---For me, my first ever show was on the way back from a two week excursion with my sister and dad, (our annual summer trip with him) on the way home, my dad got tickets for the farewell tour of Supertramp-- 1981-- I believe, I was 10, my sister was the fan, and I really didn't know what the hell was going on... my first show on my own was in grade 7--1983-- Gowan opened for Honeymoon Suite at Garden City Arena, ended up front row centre... haha... and Princess-- I was at the Beastie Boy show at the Gardens!!! (has this already been discussed?--probably-haha..) Bad Brains didn't make the trip, and they played Pharcyde before the show, which was kickin... Yes, I think this sounds way too familiar, anyways, stellar Beastie Boy show for sure!!! Love hearing all your stories... hehe.

Steve Miller circa 1991 i think...or was it 92?

smoked my first joint at that show too :) i remember jules pietras and ceppi getting super drunk on the bus and the bus driver pulled over on the 401 to have a cop inspect our bus for booze. they didn't find it though, jules ripped the entire back seat apart and stashed it. oh the good ole days.

When I was about ten years old I somehow got my hands on the Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show album, and I loved it; knew every word (still do), though I didn't understand much of it. Then, a dream come true - the album was being toured and they were coming to Moncton! I begged and begged, offered up allowance for life and a promise to never have sex, but my mom wouldn't let me go, which is pretty clever - I can't think of another show in that era where people would be doing any more drugs.

Eventually saw the Sawyer guy from Dr. Hook at the Penguin. Soooo not the same.

1st concert: Loverboy with The Headpins opening, Moncton Coliseum, Aug 4(?), 1983. Totally, absolutely, and irrevocably changed my life, with repurcussions that still lead me forward every day. Seriously.

Sample lyric from the Dr. Hook album (imagine a ten-year-old boy singing this one on the bus to school):

Rocks Off

Some men need some killer weed,

Some men need cocaine.

Some men need some cactus juice

To purify their brain.

Some men need two women, some need alcohol.

Everybody needs a little something,

But lord I need it all

To get my rocks off.

Rocks off.

Get my rocks off of mountains and roll 'em on down the hill.

holy crap backbacon, i bet you had the adolescent girls lined up right around the rink -- talk about a keeyooooootaaay!!!!!!!

hmmm, now that you mention it number 2, yes, i think we did have the beastie boys conversation... i'm sure i shared the shining moment of the night, being thrown over the barrier while bodysurfing & getting to walk the whole length of the stage between stage & front row. damn those b-boyz is fine up close! and HAHA, GOOD FRICKEN CALL ON THE PHARCYDE!!!!! i totally forgot about that! i remember thinking that was so kewl they were playing it, since my friends & i were listening bizarre ride II the pharcyde nonstop around that time.

ah geez. things that make you shit.... ohhhh shit!!!!!

(thugnor????? where are you????? :: )

I saw the Bangles and the Monkees within a month of each other when I was 8 I think, then it was Pink Floyd on the Division Bell tour at the Ex grounds in Toronto when I was 13, but my most memorable pre-jam concert was when I saw Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) doing his solo tour when I was 13 or 14. That was damn cool.