Jambands.ca

Jambands.Com reviews Zedonk...

DevO

I like nero regardless of friendship - I'm not a nero-head. I like bands that embrace rock instrumentals like Jeff Beck, the Allmans, Zappa etc...

I'm not from Ottawa and I didn't know anything about the band until they played the Comfort Zone in Toronto three years or so ago.

They made my best concerts of 2003 list, over Moe., the band they opened for at the Phoenix. It wasn't my best concert last year, but nero's musical style evolved from the last time I saw them, six months earlier, and this new sound caught me off-guard. What they are saying now in their music impresses me a lot more now, than the stuff they were doing when I first saw them live.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's food for thought - how many positive reviews did Phish get for their early albums? I think at one point they were even named one of the top 10 worst bands in America... At least nero hasn't been hit with such a dubious distinction. I like Zedonk, but I think that it comes off a little too "clean" at times... nero has stated that they want the studio albums to be an entirely different entity from their live shows... They have obviously been successful. I feel that if the reviewer had ever been to a live nero show, and had done a little research regarding nero's intent with the album, the review might have been different.

I like nero regardless of friendship - I'm not a nero-head. I like bands that embrace rock instrumentals like Jeff Beck, the Allmans, Zappa etc...

im right with ya on that, man.

i was just commenting on what meggo said, about how its harder to listen to people bash a band if they're your buddies... i just disagree, and dont think it should have anything to do with it.

Oh, and for the record, I am a nero-head... Actually, I've been playing around with the idea that we should be called nerologists (a play on neurologists). The reasoning I have is that most of us nero-heads waste a lot of our brain space with learning song titles, setlists, changes, teases, etc. More so than the average nero fan... Me and The Sloth are definately nerologists... I'm sure there are others out there...

I've told all 3 of them at times that they've sucked ass... I've also told all 3 that they've kicked my ass... Honest, constuctive criticism is always better than gushing over some local rock stars... I always find it easier to criticise when I'm good friends with a band, versus being a casual acquaintance.

The only time I don't really care for nero's music is when though get " electronic ". I hate electronica music of any kind, especailly bands like TND, although it does have it's benefits when used live.

I've only seen nero a handful of times and sometimes my shows are separated by 6 months to a year. This enables me to ( hopefully ) hear a band evolve over a period of time. Most bands do not evolve, but I think nero is branching out into new and exciting areas. If I saw them live a lot more, I doubt I'd be able to hear their music evolving as easily.

i was just commenting on what meggo said, about how its harder to listen to people bash a band if they're your buddies... i just disagree, and dont think it should have anything to do with it.

i agree that it shouldn't... that being said, i'm just wondering if maybe some people have thier hackles up extra high cause they're buddies with the boys, could be wrong. (waffle waffle, haha). it's probably just what you all've been saying, maybe the reviewer was excessively harsh.

PS jaimoe your point is well taken, but hopefully people will take it with a grain of salt and see for themself, since we all know nero can often have some intense ass rocking powers, especially live! ;)

The only time I don't really care for nero's music is when though get " electronic ". I hate electronica music of any kind, especailly bands like TND, although it does have it's benefits when used live.

nero, in my opinion, never really sounded like electronica... I know electronic music fairly well, and while elements definately creeped into their sound (particularly in late 2002/early 2003), I've always felt they had more of an energetic sound than an electronic one... In fact, the most electronic nero has ever sounded is on the Zedonk album, during the Lemondust jam... Lauzon is an effects wizard, but to equate effects to having an electronica sound means that Trey's delay loops (99/00) made Phish have an electronica vibe... nero's current sound is definately more hard rock than anything else. Their newer songs like Medicated and the ever dreadful Luke's Wish (which seems to have thankfully been removed from their setlists) feature a much harder sound than in the past. They've been listening to all the naysayers, crying about how "hippie-trance" was ruining the scene. And I, for one, feel that their sound has suffered slightly for it... I'd love to see the energy of the the electronic sound return (long build ups and explosive releases). I also like how the harder edge has "toughened up" some of their less imposing songs... nero is a constantly evolving entity... If you don't like what you hear now, wait six months and it will progress... nero is, and always will be, one of my favorite bands. The fact that they don't want to get stale always impresses me. I look forward to the next evolution of this fantastic group...

" i agree that it shouldn't... that being said, i'm just wondering if maybe some people have thier hackles up extra high cause they're buddies with the boys, that's all ".

I get my hackles up when strangers dump on friends unfairly. Hell, every time I read a negative Phish Molson Amphitheare concert review by the Toronto Sun and Star, this board goes crazy, and like it or not, Trey and co. are not our friends.

Oh, and for the record, I am a nero-head... Actually, I've been playing around with the idea that we should be called nerologists (a play on neurologists). The reasoning I have is that most of us nero-heads waste a lot of our brain space with learning song titles, setlists, changes, teases, etc. More so than the average nero fan... Me and The Sloth are definately nerologists... I'm sure there are others out there...

Last I heard (July, 2002 at Valencia, in Burlington, VT), the only agreed-upon term is "neron" (suggestion of which came from Pablo hisbadself).

"Neron" can either be a play on "neuron" (which goes back to your brainy analogy, above), or taken from quantum physics, in which any force (like electromagnetism, or gravity) in space is associated with particles (like photons & electrons, or gravitons) that exchange/mediate the force.

Have you even been in the crowd at a nero show, and it just felt like there was this whoosh of energy, of force, sweeping across the room, and that you were part of it? The mediator particles of this force are the people on the dance floor: the nerons.

Aloha,

Brad

Last I heard (July, 2002 at Valencia, in Burlington, VT), the only agreed-upon term is "neron" (suggestion of which came from Pablo hisbadself).

"Neron" can either be a play on "neuron" (which goes back to your brainy analogy, above), or taken from quantum physics, in which any force (like electromagnetism, or gravity) in space is associated with particles (like photons & electrons, or gravitons) that exchange/mediate the force.

Have you even been in the crowd at a nero show, and it just felt like there was this whoosh of energy, of force, sweeping across the room, and that you were part of it? The mediator particles of this force are the people on the dance floor: the nerons.

Aloha,

Brad

Brad, I like it... But if the average person at a show is a neron, what do you call those of us that have spent countless hours studying the band? I think some sort of distinction must be made... Hell, I know people that have seen 3 times the shows I have (mostly pre-Punk, but whatever), but still can't tell the difference between a Centragnome and a Lemondust... I think there's room for both nerons and nerologists at shows... I think neromancers should be left to those actually dating/marrying band members...

I'm not the world's greatest writer and because VIEW is weekly with strict deadlines mistakes often make it into print, but I must say that this Nero review is both badly written and (more importantly) badly edited. One thing writers should always do is read back what they've written. It is obvious this person has not. I won't say if I agree with what they say or not, wait for my review, but I will say that they should spend some more time on their craft.

Hey fellas. That was my review. I can see where a lot of your criticism was coming from, but what's that they say about hindsight? Please remember when you're reading reviews, though, that in general, the reviewer is writing about the CD and not necessarily the band and everything that concept entails. As I pointed out, there's a lot of talent in this band. They just don't really show it on this disc.

Some of you thought I was harsh. Maybe so. But I think the album's terrible. There are some decent ideas, but they're not executed. Part of the problem is the production, but part of it is that it's just monotonous. It really just bored me to tears. Definitely not my cup of tea. Someone said something to the effect of "it's just one guy's opinion" and I couldn't agree more.

As for those of you who criticized my writing, well, I've gotta disagree with you. I think I'm an excellent writer, and while I do have a tendency to be a little over-analytical at times (someone pointed this out, too), I think I state my points clearly and generally back them up pretty well. As for the mistakes, well, that's all Jesse. I edited and proofread several times before shipping it off and it was flawless. Something must have happened in transcription. . .

Like Steve Kimock, the album is just grooves with guitar solos. Yeah, there are some changes, but they seem like they're just thrown in randomly. None of the songs feel very cohesive b/c of the abruptness of the changes.

I can see why those who like jam music in general would like Nero, but I really don't see them doing anything very unique or original. From the CD, they seem like your everyday generic jamband. I could be very wrong (I've never seen them live), but back to my original point: I reviewed the CD, not the band.

Anyway, I appreciate all of your criticism. Thanks for reading and caring enough to discuss it.

From a friend, who knows just how good nero really is:

Oh my god, someone crapped in this guy's breakfast for sure! Which he probably didn't eat anyway because he mouth was so full of four-syllable adjectives he could barely fit his own tongue, I'm sure. Some questions for the venerable *ahem* wordmaster *ahem, ahem* of music

reviews.

Can something really be explosive and sputtering at the same time? Funk and Wagnall agree: No!

Other than calling a change pure sh!t, what could be worse than Haphazard, Schizophrenic, and Random? However, it's hard reconciling those three words with the trio of Droning, Tedious and Predictable. Isn't unpredictable what he meant by random?

Aparently Mr. Lauzon has "guitar agility" meaning, what? He can wield his G+L better than that kid on the Internet with a light sabre.

Sure, Mr. Lauzon's licks might interweave, fade, break into, half-step, kick up a notch (who is he Emeril?) swing, and "eventually (go) through at least three more abrupt changes" before fading, closing and chopping with a sharp thud. But, is he really agile Mr. Reviewer?

And sharp thud? I think military intelligence called, and they'd like to take Mr. Reviewer out for some jumbo shrimp.

At least Mr. Reviewer doesn't turn his wrath solely to Mr. Lauzon. Can it really be one guitarist's fault that grooves - which by their very moniker would be groovy - aren't?

Or that the guitarist's musical masturbation (kudos for the alliteration) overpowers an unflinching beat and an inaudible bass.

"It nothing else," Mr. Reviewer writes, "One can say..." Who are you kidding? You're saying. You're accusing, you're burying with overzealous, freshman writing, you're killing us all!!

But in the end, Mr. Reviewer concedes the band has a cohesive sound and a great deal of talent, despite stiffness and soulessness. Ha! That's like telling some guy in the john that the band sucks and then asking the same guy who's standing at the door to get in for free! Hel-lo?

Mr. Reviewer, you need to pull your head out of Hemingway's ass and stop using words like aforementioned. They don't make you sound smarter, just wankier. While Nero might benefit from listening less to their heads and more to their heart, Mr. Reviewer, you would do wise to stop pretending that you work for Rolling Stone and listen to your own head - which I'm sure doesn't cram ideas 65 to a blink, or enjoy how pretentious you pretend to be!

As much as I realize it's a cliche, it seems that the old line "No publicity is bad publicity" really is true. Besides which, it's been my experience that nero tunes grow on you and inevitably become a part of your psyche, so several listens from now, the Reviewer will quite possibly want to retract most of what he has said (except for the lines like "Nero does have a cohesive sound, best compared to the sweeping soundscapes of Steve Kimock" and "There is a great deal of talent showcased here").

Brian,

Thanks for coming on here and sticking up for yourself although it's a shame that you had to do so in light of people getting their panties in a knot over your CD review. They have missed naptime and it shows.

Nero's live show may change your mind about the band but I would understand if some of their fanbase has turned you off with their short-sightedness and inability to take a review for what it's worth...one guy's opinion. Thankfully someone has attacked your ability to write and use the English language...we all need the messenger to be shot

Looking forward to your review of Cavern!

The thing that gets me more riled up is the Ottawa Xpress' non-review. Thanks for pointing that out Ollie. Here it is, in all its glory:

Zedonk

John Sekerka

Let's be frank here, there are legions out there who will eagerly eat this up. Jam bands, especially adept musicians like Nero, draw them in. Look at that Phishy group and that Biblical ensemble David and Matthews - the hippies just love 'em. Groove tunes to play hackysack to, what could be better? Nero have that same open-toed-sandal vibe, but with a bit of prog jazz element. Instead of lurching into a Soft Machine time warp, I will now cease writing for the benefit of one and all. Nero plays Café Dekcuf Thursday, July 1, 10 p.m., $7, 19+ show

Nero is the hardest working band in Ottawa (and has been for some time) and they've never gotten anything but bad press from the local weekly. Now they put out a pro-sounding album and suddenly the Xpress is an authority on the jamband scene. Funny, they never wanted to talk jamband - only advertising rates - every time we approached them. I'm not going to deny I have a personal bias here.

As far as the jambands.com review goes... it's the music business, bad reviews are a dime a dozen. Let's thicken that skin and be glad Nero is getting US attention.