Jambands.ca

Karl Denson and the tiny Universe???

Marky

The last time he was scheduled to play BC he cancelled at the last minute. I believe he ran into some trouble entering the country.

I don't know if he has been in Canada since, so this is just a word of caution in case you plan to buy tickets in advance, or make any detailed plans to travel to see him.

no and NO

i saw him in 99 (i think) with mooose and huck and we recorded the show (mind you it was only recorded on minidisc, but if i remember correctly it was a soundboard patch) anyway, i haven't listened to it since then. The show was just not my cup of tea. I'm not the biggest fan of wind/horn instruments though. It was a double bill with Leftover Salmon and they had me dancing and enjoying the music a lot more. Sure the guy definately plays his instrument well, i just won't go if/when he comes up here again.

I crossed the border to see him about a year or so ago. His band was excellent. They're all great players. However, although I did enjoy the show, it was not what I expected to hear based on the CDs. It was a lot more contemporary and a lot less 'funky'. Put him into PJC and I'll be there for sure. Put him into Toronto and I'll try to make it. Any further and I don't think I'd make the effort. Awesome player but I'd rather see him in a theatre than a warehouse. (Hint hint, nudge nudge.)

SO hard to tell on these things. I remember going to see KDTU in Montreal and the turnout was pretty weak (that was in 2001, mind you). It's wierd, I've seen shows that I figured would be a good draw (like Soulive) bring in less than 50 people there, and others that I didn't imagine would be crowded (like Grand Theft Bus) bring in hundreds.