Jambands.ca

Are Restaurant Review

U.FProductions

for those of you that don't know Loleta and i own a small restaurant in Halifax witch was reviewed in this weeks Coast, its funny review.

Food & Drink

• Liz Feltham gives Cafe Vienna top marks for good food and large portions, and for having an all-day breakfast.

food1.jpg

Liz Feltham settles into the comfortable chaos of Cafe Vienna.

It’s a brilliant move to put a cafe in the same building as a laundromat. I’m not knocking these wash-and-dry facilities, but I can’t think of a worse place to have to while away a couple of hours. The Bluenose was the first local joint to host such an eatery, when Cafe Vienna opened upstairs as an alternative to reading old magazines and watching your clothes tumble dry.

photo Ryan Whynott

In through the laundromat, up a steep set of steps and we’re in Cafe Vienna, apparently also known as the land of visual sensory overload. There’s colour, everywhere, all sorts of colours, and on top of that, everything is multicoloured—placemats, signs, chairs, walls, you name it. It’s like the time I left a box of crayons (the big box, with the built-in pencil sharpener) on an old steam radiator, and they melted.

After letting our eyes adjust we make our way to a large counter, above which a chalkboard with the menu is hanging. I note that there’s also an all-day breakfast menu, which is always a good thing.

The menu is varied, Mediterranean and Mexican cuisine, cheap and healthy—plenty of vegetarian and vegan options too. Our counter attendant/hostess/cook (she’s all, yet none of these things—I’ll just call her our provider) helps us make up our mind and we take a seat to wait for the food. I look at the cluttered mess behind the counter and wonder how food can come out of such chaos, and my friend looks around at the mismatched tables and chairs, the eclectic decor, and observes that it’s like visiting someone’s first apartment.

Our provider brings our meals in short order: two whopping big servings of chicken shwarma ($8) and the falafel plate ($7.50)—which has an excellent reputation. The chicken is superb: moist, tender cubes lightly seasoned and plenty of it. The falafel is a bit salty, I’ve had better but I’ve certainly not had a bigger portion, so it’s still a passing grade for the plate. The hummus is very smooth and quite nice, although the pita bread that is served with it is unfortunately stale. The tabbouleh is more mint-y than parsley-filled, a nice variation. The fatouche (salad) that comes with the chicken has a tart, vinegary dressing that sports a unique taste that I can’t quite pin down, but it’s not unpleasant. Lentils and rice are very nicely done and a welcome foil for the vinegary salad.

Cafe Vienna defies description—it’s more like someone’s kitchen and not a commercial establishment, but don’t let its appearance fool you. There’s some very good cooking coming out of here, with a great low-price to large-portion ratio.

Appetites satisfied, we observe the comings and goings of the other Cafe Vienna visitors. Some watch the lights of the washer and dryer number board to keep track of their laundry. Some diners are obviously regulars, greeting others by name, and some stand atop the steps and look as confused as we undoubtedly did. But everyone leaves the restaurant with looks of contentment and big smiles, including us.

Cafe Vienna

2198 Windsor Street

429-2749

Mon-Sun 8am-8:30pm

Happy happy joy joy

Find liz Feltham online at: foodcritic.ca

www.thecoast.ca

Edited by Guest

Nice review! We shared the Shish Tawook meal and the all-day breakfast, it was very very tasty (I didn't find the falafel too salty)

Great spot, a real homey feel and super chill staff, they had the Beatles CD on when we were there, so that only made everything better.

Congrats on the success folks!