Jambands.ca

Grateful Dead SBD's removed from Archive

jaxtraw

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow.

that does truely suck - thank god i was obsessive enough to download a vast number of shows. I was just really getting my teeth into the 70s though...

I understand removing a show once it was an official GD release, but this seems a wee bit cheesy....Jerry would not have approved

Fuck bobby.

That's where I'll start (sorry, Hux ;) ). This is appalling. Who do you complain to, in a capitalist economy? I mean, what, were people at the Garcia Estate reading our QOTD thread today or something? Somebody run out of coke money? WTF?

That does it. From now on, I'm only going to listen to live music off the floor.

Bwahahhahahhhah!!!!

No, seriously....

I see it's running really slow - there must be a rush on with people seeing if this is true.

At least there are audience recordings to stream/listen to. God bless the tapers. Back to the 80s, then, for finding hi-fidelity recordings.

Reading the LMA forums, heres the message from the admin at archive.

The Internet Archive has worked with tapers, tape

traders, funders, admins, and over 1000 bands

to build a great non-commercial music library that is freely accessible.

Technically and policy-wise, it has been invigorating as you can probably appreciate.

We have made changes in the past and we will make changes again.

Following the policies of the Grateful Dead and the Dead communities

we have provided non-commercial access to thousands of great concerts.

Based on discussions with many involved, the Internet Archive has been asked

to change how the Grateful Dead concert recordings are being distributed

on the Archive site for the time being. The full collection will remain safe

in the Archive for preservation purposes.

Here is the plan:

Audience recordings are available in streaming format (m3u).

Soundboard recordings are not available.

Additionally, the Grateful Dead recordings will be separated from the

Live Music Archive into its own collection. The metadata and reviews for

all shows and recordings will remain available.

We appreciate that this change will be a surprise and upset many of you, but please

channel reactions in ways that you genuinely think will be productive.

If we keep the bigger picture in mind that there are many experiments

going on right now, and experiments working well, we can build on the momentum

that tape trading started decades ago.

Working together we can keep non-commercial sharing part of our world.

Thank you for helping find balances that work for all involved.

-brewster

Digital Librarian and Founder

-Matt Vernon

Volunteer GD Archivist

http://www.archive.org/iathreads/post-view.php?id=47634

"There's something to be said for being able to record an experience you've liked... My responsibility to the notes is over after I've played them. At that point I don't care where they go. They've left home you know."

"Man, after we get done playing it, we're done with it. The people can do whatever they want to with it."

- Jerry Garcia

jerry1.gif

IF, this is going to mean that peer-peer trading is going to become obsolete for the Dead's music, then I am going to have NO problem liberally stealing from them...............

I didnt do it before, but the flood gates are about to open. Say "hello" to owning every single Dicks Picks. Up to this point I had purchased every dvd. Well, forget that shite.

Yeah, and I am going to let them know it as well.

customerservice@gdstore.com

While I'm crushed by this news as well, I will play devil's advocate:

You are all a bunch of spoiled wookie brats. Full stop.

No other band EVER has literally given away the MASSIVE amount of free music as the GD have for the last 40 years. No other band. Not one. Just try to name one.

And I'm not just talking about allowing taping, I'm talking about opening up their own vaults of sbd recordings WIDE OPEN for all - for years (LATVALA!), Phish never came close to that.

So really, you should be thankful for the tremendous and unprecedented generosity this band has offered over the years. Remember how we used to get shows before torrents and the archive....oh yeah - trading and B&P's. There is no reason you can't get EVERY soundboard and more via the that route, it's just gonna take a weeee bit more effort, but not much. Just think of the old days dubbing Maxell XLII's, think of how far we've come, and all along the generosity of the band.

Pretty UN-Grateful bunch here.

c'mon Huxy...ain't no ungratitude here...of course we're grateful for what we were given...we just got used to it, is all, and came to expect it to continue. But as people have so rightly pointed out, the spirit of the band died about a decade ago.

My main concern is to see how well they live up to their promise:

Working together we can keep non-commercial sharing part of our world.

Thank you for helping find balances that work for all involved.

-brewster

Digital Librarian and Founder

-Matt Vernon

Volunteer GD Archivist

'cause this all seems fishy to me!

While I'm crushed by this news as well, I will play devil's advocate:

You are all a bunch of spoiled wookie brats. Full stop.

No other band EVER has literally given away the MASSIVE amount of free music as the GD have for the last 40 years. No other band. Not one. Just try to name one.

And I'm not just talking about allowing taping, I'm talking about opening up their own vaults of sbd recordings WIDE OPEN for all - for years (LATVALA!), Phish never came close to that.

So really, you should be thankful for the tremendous and unprecedented generosity this band has offered over the years. Remember how we used to get shows before torrents and the archive....oh yeah - trading and B&P's. There is no reason you can't get EVERY soundboard and more via the that route, it's just gonna take a weeee bit more effort, but not much. Just think of the old days dubbing Maxell XLII's, think of how far we've come, and all along the generosity of the band.

Pretty UN-Grateful bunch here.

Is that Weir's press release or is that your own statement?

I just haven't seen any reason for why they (GD mgmt) changed their minds. If they had said, from the beginning, that uploads were OK, except for SBDs, that would have been fine, and the curators could have made sure there weren't any. But the only rule they put in was no SBDs of released (e.g., Dick's Picks) shows. Has archive.org affected sales of GD releases? That's the only reason I can think of.

Aloha,

Brad

May 11th 1999

In a major policy initiative by one of the nation's most enduring musical groups, the Grateful Dead will, under strict guidelines prohibiting commercial use, allow free Internet downloads of live performances taped by their fans via the popular but controversial MP3 format, the group's attorney, Eric Doney, announced today.

"The members of the Grateful Dead feel this decision is important and far reaching for both the band and their fans," Doney said. "This MP3 policy continues the band's long tradition of allowing free access to and trading of live recordings of their music and ensures that fans are not left with outmoded technology."