of grassroots support and loyalty by the fans. Therefore we, the

undersigned, ask that the band, who once stood for no walls between

themselves and the audience, tear down this wall they just constructed

and return the music to the fans.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving away music is good to many musicians out there. I listened to an interview with Simon Steadman of a band called Seadman and they give away all of their music and find that touring, merch and web donations are much more gratifying than any label can offer them.

This live GD stuff was never on a label, nor was there ever any labels out there that setup those shows to make money in sales off of. All of a sudden, people want to make money off of the music that should continue to be freely available and traded.

This just feels slimey.

From PT. Not something I fully agree with, but a pretty hilarious read when taken in context.

------------

Last night, we got together with Koons, Steve Jobs and Bobby to talk openly about the strong feelings we've been having that the Internet Archive has run its course and that we should end it now while it's still exactly the way it should be. Once we started talking, it quickly became apparent that the other greedy bastards' feelings, while not all the same as ours, were similar in many ways -- most importantly, that we all love and respect money and the "willing to spend every dime we have, because we love this band" audience far too much to stand by and allow it to freely drag on beyond the point of vibrancy and health. We don't want to become caricatures of ourselves, or worse yet, a bankrupt company. By the end of the meeting, we realized that after almost 3 years of teasing the fuck out of you we were faced with the opportunity to graciously step away in unison, as a group, united in our greediness and our feelings of presumption.

So iTunes will be the final resting place of The Vault. We are proud and thrilled that it will be charging 0.99 a song, thus padding our pockets even further. We're also excited for future Dicks Picks and DVD released shows, one more thing to spend your money on, together. For the sake of clarity, we should say that this is not like purejerry.com, which was our last attempt to revitalize ourselves. We're done. It's been an amazing and incredible journey. We thank you all for the expensive cars and large houses that you've given us. You've been "Koons'd"

-- Grateful Dead Merchandising

While I admit to being bummed by this information, on reflection my reaction is tempered by a couple of facts : 1) I have downloaded and burned more Grateful Dead shows that I am going to be able to listen to in the near and medium future and 2) I have *bought* more commercially available Live Dead than I can really readily assimilate in the same time. The ride was nice while it lasted and I'm going to miss the convenience of being able to grab any show that strikes my fancy, but it's not like I've been short changed. All IMHO , of course ...

it's not like I've been short changed

That's the delicious irony, of course. Sure, it's been great, and I'll do what I can (like, knock myself out by signing an online petition), but it's not like there's any coercion going on or anything (unless, like me, you run the risk of developing a serious pathology by not having a fairly constant stream of new SBDs coming in).

I guess I'm feeling a little more devil's advocatish right now, even though it is against my own interests. There's a wonderful bit at the end of the Who at the Isle of Wight video where Townshend goes on at length about all the radical freedom junkies there who felt they had every right to help themselves to other people's stuff - "Let me liberate your car. It's for the people. Now, let me liberate your baby...." There's something a little off-putting about spectators and consumers insisting they have a right to the music that other people make.

The difference here, of course, is that the band were up front about the free nature of their music, as a couple of people have already cited above.

Now, all that said, who's got our heady SBD exchange forum?

They made the music - they're done with it now. Fuck them.

Fuck Bobby- I will no longer buy and GDM shit.

Fuck Koons. Thats fucking bullshit. What more do they fucking need. Bastards. Seriously. After Phil next week (which I've already got tickets too) the dead are off of my radar. Fuck them. No more money for washed up old foggies that, in all honesty, sound like a bunch of let me think WASHED UP OLD FOGGIES fuck the dead.

took my twenty dollar bill and he vanished in the air.

They made the music - they're done with it now. Fuck them.

Fuck Bobby- I will no longer buy and GDM shit.

Fuck Koons. Thats fucking bullshit. What more do they fucking need. Bastards. Seriously. After Phil next week (which I've already got tickets too) the dead are off of my radar. Fuck them. No more money for washed up old foggies that, in all honesty, sound like a bunch of let me think WASHED UP OLD FOGGIES fuck the dead.

took my twenty dollar bill and he vanished in the air.

;)[color:red]sounds to me like you're ready for the real-deal

DarkStarOrch_0302.jpg

Foe the record I have never downloaded anything by the Grategul Dead. I like the band though and find the reversal of their initial move to share their shows rather troubling and creepy.

i was on Jambands.com last week and got ) responses toa thread posted simply asking people to give our stuff a listen. I went there today and saw like 15 separate threads re: the removal of GD SBDs. I think I might get slayed by these people as I wrote the following to them as I looked at a a picture of what I believe to be Phil Lesh's wife with "A treasonous cunt/Zionist sellout bitch" as the highly tactful content.

[color:brown]Deborah is my guess - by further inspection of the 1000 oh my god no more Dead SBD posts.

Support young bands.

I posted something about my band www.whatthethundersaid.ca and honestly asked if you'd listen to it. O responses. I am no fucking newb musician I have been playing in bands for 15 years and I am no jobber with 16 projects...this is my soul focus and I couldn't get 1 person to even bat an eye.

Music fans and supporters or historians?

Maybe if I posted something with some FSU titties in it?

Confused.

Anyway I thought this might amuse some.

Cheers

Deeps

i don't know what one thing has to do with the other.

(deborah koons is jerry's wife btw)

people do have a long history of listening to the dead so this is a big deal. why shouldn't it be? the dead probably put most of us on this jamband path we're on. but it'll blow over in a couple weeks. as things do.

i don't think people are meaning to ignore your post deeps, and i think people on this board are often telling you how great your band is. :) (which i agree with)

sorry your post got overshadowed but i think it happens to everyone sometimes!

it shouldn't come to a surprise, or even bother you, that people are more interested in the entire Grateful Deads soundboard collection being pulled from a free hosting service, than something your band has produced.

if you take offense, well, i'm not sure what to say, except you really shouldn't.

if your comparing your band to the Grateful Dead, it shouldn't surprise you, your going to come out on teh bottom of the popularity chain.

its the god damned Grateful Dead!!!

No comparison here man, or offense really just a certain level of confusion surrounding the whole thing.

When I opened up on this board and said that I was a musician and would like people to give it a chance it was well received and constructive.

I'm essentially calling them on lack of community building. Sure I have a vested interest, but it extends to all types of music and art forms in which there are people who prefer to keep their minds on lock down and tune in to Q107 and listen to Dirty Deeds @ 8:00pm every night (test this) while systematicly ignoring, discouraging, and being indifferent to new artists.

Fuck the drone society....15 separate posts? get a grip.

Deeps

PS this board is good.

sorry your post got overshadowed but i think it happens to everyone sometimes!

It was jambands.com not here and it was an introductory post and quite humble also it was 2 weeks ago when on e of the prevailing points of interest was FSU cheerleader pics which garnered a lot of responses featuring beer cheersing emoticons peppered with small-dick man responses like "I'd like to get me some of that action"

Deeps

PS I love this board!

Sorry for the Deboroah miscue.

I'm essentially calling them on lack of community building. Sure I have a vested interest, but it extends to all types of music and art forms in which there are people who prefer to keep their minds on lock down and tune in to Q107 and listen to Dirty Deeds @ 8:00pm every night (test this) while systematicly ignoring, discouraging, and being indifferent to new artists.

Maybe they just like classic rock.

I'm essentially calling them on lack of community building. Sure I have a vested interest' date=' but it extends to all types of music and art forms in which there are people who prefer to keep their minds on lock down and tune in to Q107 and listen to Dirty Deeds @ 8:00pm every night (test this) while systematicly ignoring, discouraging, and being indifferent to new artists.[/quote']

Maybe they just like classic rock.

Yeah and maybe I like swatch watches and Beaver Canoe sweaters, but there is some degree of a need to evolve. I don't see the purpose exclusively celebrating songs of the past. In fact I think people who do this are bringing the collective down with their uninteresting stories of the best bands they never saw.

Mix 99 calls themselves a variety station. Smelly crap or moderately smelly crap with a side of corporate drivel.

The masses are turning into drones and I'm not going to condrone it :o @ any level, from the clothes people are buying to the books they're reading. There is a system of apathy and a lot of people are blindly following the cow in front of them directly into the rendering plant. The 1984 and Brave New World prophecies are upon us neatly wrapped and easy to use as seen on TV and I obviously am frustrated and saddened by this shit.

Sorry for the ranting, but I feel like that we are desperately lacking culture and this sublime mediocrity needs to be yelled at.

This board provides me with some hope, but I fear we'll be outnumbered forever.

I'm too young for the "that's how it is" approach.