Jambands.ca

Helpless Hump-Day...

can-o-phish

:o Happy 2006 to all!!! :o

Not one to actively break tradition, I made my way to The Orbit Room to start off the new year with a healthy helping of The Sisters Euclid. To be honest, I was expecting a relatively quiet evening as it was the last day of the "Holiday Season" and these nights usually see the die-hards out as other folk are resting their bones from long weekend fun etc., but this was far from the case this past Monday. Ended up with more folks than the show before Christmas and what was a definite bonus of the evening for both the band and listeners was the fact that people were actually there to listen & dance ...imagine that ;)

This lead to a few humorous stories from Kevin and simply beautiful and stunning music all night, one of their better nights by far...sorry bradm, but I have to say that this probably would've been your melodic kinda evening that I think you were looking for on the 19th...

So hard to pick one song for a taste so I'll post a few more over the next couple of days but thought that to get everyone over the first Humpday of 2006, a little "Helpless" might go a long way.

Same drill as always. Click on the link, scroll to the bottom and click on the pic of The Sisters for the mp3 or right-click and "save target as" if you're downloading. This show was transferred and mastered at 24 bit audio. Enjoy! :)

Helpless

dear can o phish,

how's the hump day treating you? mine's pretty good...feels like tuesday. i'm just about to grab some lunch.

i thought i'd write to you to get something off my chest. the way you post about KB and the SE really irks me. I don't know why, it just does. i like the band, they're great. i don't know why they don't tour around instead of doing weekly gigs at a tiny toronto bar. i like the band so much in fact that when i think of my 2 friends who are sisters, i think "the sisters young" instead of the young sisters. i love bands as much as you seem to love KB. i know people who wank to trey's wanking, that doesn't bother me. i don't know why i find your KB posts so dog gone irritating! it just seems a week can't go by without a post about KB. i don't understand how something can be that mind blowingly awesome, consistantly, every week. sometimes, i imagine KB laying on a bed, spooning some faceless man, who's you. whispering next weeks setlist into your ear as he humps you from behind.

i don't know why i think these things. i don't like fantasizing about musical man love. maybe getting this off my chest will help. i sure hope so. nothing against you, i don't even know you, but your KB postings drive me insane.

hope all is well with you and yours after this fine holiday season.

Alexis

Dear Alexis,

Why don't you go fuck yourself? This is a music site and I think one in ten threads should be about music.

With all those homophobic undertones it sounds like your inner dyke wants to be flooded.

Love,

Adam

P.S. Your letters are devoid of humour, wit and interest.

dear can o phish,

how's the hump day treating you? mine's pretty good...feels like tuesday. i'm just about to grab some lunch.

i thought i'd write to you to get something off my chest. the way you post about KB and the SE really irks me. I don't know why, it just does. i like the band, they're great. i don't know why they don't tour around instead of doing weekly gigs at a tiny toronto bar. i like the band so much in fact that when i think of my 2 friends who are sisters, i think "the sisters young" instead of the young sisters. i love bands as much as you seem to love KB. i know people who wank to trey's wanking, that doesn't bother me. i don't know why i find your KB posts so dog gone irritating! it just seems a week can't go by without a post about KB. i don't understand how something can be that mind blowingly awesome, consistantly, every week. sometimes, i imagine KB laying on a bed, spooning some faceless man, who's you. whispering next weeks setlist into your ear as he humps you from behind.

i don't know why i think these things. i don't like fantasizing about musical man love. maybe getting this off my chest will help. i sure hope so. nothing against you, i don't even know you, but your KB postings drive me insane.

hope all is well with you and yours after this fine holiday season.

Alexis

Dear Alexis,

Sorry for irritating you so. Definitely not my intention as I recently was in Ottawa and having a similar conversation with bouche about possibly posting too much about The Sisters Euclid and I believe his response was, "the site is about music and getting the word out"...pretty sure bouche will back me on that one as he is so happy with what I write and record and make available for everyone, including yourself.

Others also know that it's not really Kevin Breit that I post about, but "The Sisters Euclid" as I am a huge admirer of Gary, Ian and Rob, who I recently recorded for another musician's upcoming CD.

My only suggestion to you is if you don't like or appreciate my posts, then don't read them. It's as easy as that but then again, I have to make note of the fact that you're only in your 25th year on this ball we call earth and don't have much life experience as others :P

And just a quick note specifically for you is that make sure to ignore the upcoming JamCast that was hosted by TimmyB and recorded by myself with The Sisters Euclid that bouche, myself, TimmyB and a few others have been working on. Wouldn't want to send you over the edge on a crazed postal mission ;)

Alexis -- not very nice. I love ya and all but seriously... I think passion for music should be encouraged... and that shit's just mean and unnecessary.

Dave brings a lot to this board & to the artist himself by taping him every week and sharing highlights of the night for those who can't be in attendance. In the future, just don't open his posts then!

If this was strictly sarcasm and you have some sort of inside joke about this, then I'll step back. But if not, no need to say this kinda stuff.

but your KB postings drive me insane.

You must already be there to actually post something negative about this great thing called 'sharing'. If you don't want to read about the Orbit Room and the sisters, don't click the link. That way you won't have to type such a ridiculous post.

To be honest, I was expecting a relatively quiet evening as it was the last day of the "Holiday Season" and these nights usually see the die-hards out as other folk are resting their bones from long weekend fun etc., but this was far from the case this past Monday. Ended up with more folks than the show before Christmas and what was a definite bonus of the evening for both the band and listeners was the fact that people were actually there to listen & dance ...imagine that

That right there sums up the best/worst things about the Orbit Room. The place is almost always packed with people who dig the music. It's great because people are so into it, just kinda wish there was more room for me. When I first started going there back in 97(?) to see the Dexters, I noticed that the Orbit Room consisted of fairly pretty and trendy toronto hipsters. But what really shocked me was how they all seemed to be into the music, not just there to look cool. One thing you can always count on, is that the folks in attendance are there for good tunes!

The Orbit still gets my vote for best live music venue in the city.

see now, i would have pictured it the other way around, with him spooning kb. ;)

i think, if i am not mistaken, that alexis is just being sassy and funny and is not really trying to diss anyone seriously, and is just using a dry wit to tease can o' phish in a friendly manner. he does talk an awful lot about kb. i talk an awful lot about ween. we can choose not to read what bugs us. or, if we want to, we can read things that bug us, be bugged by them, and say so. then people can laugh at us for being so silly if they want. lord knows this is not the first post where someone has taken the time to post that they are not interested in whatever the subject is, so i don't think alexis really needs to be lynched over this.

okra, are you an ahesshole? i can hardly keep up with these changes. i missed him again!

Dear Alexis,

Why don't you go fuck yourself? This is a music site and I think one in ten threads should be about music.

With all those homophobic undertones it sounds like your inner dyke wants to be flooded.

Love,

Adam

P.S. Your letters are devoid of humour, wit and interest.

I believe you mean homo-erotic undertone don't you?

Your use of the word dyke speaks to homophobia though so ... half points.

That is all.

Edited by Guest

see now, i would have pictured it the other way around, with him spooning kb. ;)

i think, if i am not mistaken, that alexis is just being sassy and funny and is not really trying to diss anyone seriously, and is just using a dry wit to tease can o' phish in a friendly manner. he does talk an awful lot about kb. i talk an awful lot about ween. we can choose not to read what bugs us. or, if we want to, we can read things that bug us, be bugged by them, and say so. then people can laugh at us for being so silly if they want. lord knows this is not the first post where someone has taken the time to post that they are not interested in whatever the subject is, so i don't think alexis really needs to be lynched over this.

Trying to be funny while dissing someone's posts isn't really funny at all and it's completely lost on the internet. I know people make 'jokes' but I just don't see it here. If funny was intended, I still can't read it. She's not getting lynched, she's just getting an expected response for what was posted.

Well, gotta say that this was not what I expected when I was posting earlier today ;) and really, I just figured that someone must've pissed in Alexis's Cornflakes this morning :P

Spooning KB? Kinda shows how little Alexis knows me as if I were to spoon any of The Sisters, it'd be Ian as the others are just too damn skinny :P ...I mean, c'mon, it's all about the bass player, isn't it booche?

This is too fucking funny :). I just spent the afternoon up to my elbows in I won't say what installing a new sewage pump in our house (ok, there ya go), and I resurface to this?! :P

My favourite bit is the fact that this all had to do with a thread that was actually about music on this site. I mean, imagine! If I find myself posting about something musical here, I tend to be surprised with myself and reward myself with a drink (which has the usual result that I then post randomly about a dozen things that have absolutely nothing to do with music).

That said, if anyone hasn't seen KB and the Sisters enough to be convinced, then maybe they should take just that too many psychedelics to deal with anything and see how the music gets them through before commenting further (that's my litmus test, and I'm sticking to it ;).

(Hm, I must have had something to say about music already today, gauging by the meniscus at the bottom of the glass.)

hahahahaha

well, glad to see i could rile everyone up at least.

first, it was intended to be funny. if you didn't find it funny, oh well. not everyone sees eye to eye. i do a lot of things to amuse myself...should i go fuck myself when people don't agree with me? no, i can think of better things to initiate that sort of behaviour.

let me say, my post was not meant to disrespect, can o phish, or kb and the se, or anyone who likes either of the aforementioned. it was meant to amuse myself, and possibly others. you may note, i stated clearly, that i like kb and the se, and that i don't know can o phish and mean nothing against him.

it seems that maybe someone thought i was hating on tapers, cause CoP tapes the SE...nope. i love tapers. thank you tapers, including you CoP for taping every last second that you do, i sure have enough recorded music for people to know, i LOVE tapers. i love every ounce of effort anyone puts into this community whether i agree with what that effort is or not.

people can post whatever they like to what i say, just as i can post whatever I like to what other people say. This is a FORUM, and I am SHARING my opinion. Just like some people share THEIR opinion that the word gay is over used, or that there are too many slip threads on the board at any given moment.

And if i wanted to ignore everything CoP had to say i would hit the ignore button, but i don't want to do that. That person makes some interesting points. and i DO skip over blatently obvious SE threads when i'm not in the mood, BUT that CoP is a clever guy and puts things like "helpless hump day" as a subject.

and no, no one pissed in my cornflakes today...i actually had an amazing morning, the best i can recall in a long long time for those of you who care. it's just sometimes, i sit at work, doing nothing, and feel like causing some shit. i knew some people would think my post was funny (not making fun of CoP for posting what he posts, because i wasn't...just stating my inexplicable irritation at the many many KB and the SE posts i see here) and if not funny, something they had had run through their minds a few times.

last but not least....i would think that anything ANYONE posts would spark debate if you don't agree with them. While I don't feel attecked per se, i certainly feel on the defensive. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am not malicious and don't get my shits and giggles from bringing other people down. I was hoping to come back and see someone say "maybe it irritates you because the group is wicked, KB (and i'm sure the other musicians involved) have x, y and z awards accredited to them, but they don't tour because they have family issues" or whatever the reason is. i think it's very cool that they came out to play on what was a holiday for most people. giving everyone one last treat before they head back to work. maybe a posting about this PRE show rather than POST show would be cool. maybe THAT'S what drives me crazy....who knows? i don't, that's why i posted in the first place.

I'm so glad to read that you weren't serious Alexis. It's impossible to know what people's intentions are and I'm at the end of my rope when I see someone posting something negative about something wonderful.

Please respect the innocence of me and others [color:purple]and use the purple font.

heheheh, well what is that old saying?..."all's well that ends well" or something like that?...don't worry Alexis, there weren't any hurt or bruised feelings at my end but like bouche mentioned earlier, sometimes sarcasm is lost or missed in this thing we know as cyber-space...that's why I made sure to stick out my tongue and wink at you in my replies so that you would know everything was taken in stride...made me think of a conversation with Tim W from GTB a few years ago when the "joke" was missed and hackles were raised until light hit the mountain...and considering it was the first time you struck up some sort of banter with me, I wasn't sure if it was humour, playful banter or just down right being a queen bitch ;) so now I know...

One thing for certain is that I would never supppress anyone's opinion or thoughts as we are all entitled to our own and actually I was getting a kick out of where the path of the thread had gone...and yep, sure enough it led to Lazlo's always "tasteful & colourful" humour :P

In another way it was an interesting feeling to see some skanks come to my aid and have my back but sweet jebus folks, a little slung mud won't make me dry up and blow away...I have been working out on the rowing machine and can kick some ass when I have to ;) but thanks just the same...

Alexis, if you're ever in T-Dot on a Monday night be sure to let me know in advance and we'll share some boatdrinks, you'll be my VIP guest and I'll let all the Sisters have their way with you ;)