Jambands.ca

Mixed feelings

Dr. J

Not totally comfortable with the union of commerce and art, but i guess it's pretty standard these days and you can't argue with the results.

Just heard that Birdsong by the Golden Dogs is the new theme song for Zellers. Wasn't it a Zeller's ad that broke the song by Bedouin Soundclash? From half empty bars to the Junos in one tall leap. Hope it brings good things for Dave and Jessica and crew as well. Good people.

I think it looks bad on the surface but if commercial radio won't play these songs then I think its good business for bands to use any other outlets they can to get the music "out there".

As much play as they've gotten on this board, I've never heard the Golden Dogs. Maybe now I will.

Edited by Guest

No question that commercial licencing, as well as movie and TV soundtracks, have become a much needed source of revenue for bands and most look for a "good fit." (Saw a post somehwere on here about a band turning down the opportunity to promote Hummers). I can recall a while back when the tourist folks in Nova Scotia used "Where Am I Going?" by Matt Mays, thinking it was a "good fit." It worked.

Wasn't it a Zeller's ad that broke the song by Bedouin Soundclash?

Sorry for a hijack, but I seen anybody else bring this up yet so...

Is that Bedouin Soundclash song "When The Night" not a COMPLETE rip-off of Pressure Drop by Toots & the Maytals??? Am I crazy?? Or are the choruses not VERY similar? Somebody help me out here...

I hear you Dr. J, I'm mixed on the whole commercial thing, but I bet the band is pretty darn happy so we should be as well.

At least Zellers is Canadian (for a little bit longer anyway) as part of Canada's oldest retail company HBC. It could be FAR worse, it could be for Wal-Mart.

At least Zellers is Canadian (for a little bit longer anyway) as part of Canada's oldest retail company HBC.

No, it's officially American now.

On January 26, 2006, HBC's board unanimously agreed to a bid of $15.25 CDN/share from Jerry Zucker, whose original bid was $14.75 CDN/share, ending a prolonged fight between HBC and Zucker, a South Carolina billionaire financer and longtime HBC minority shareholder.

I agree that the Bedouin Soundclash song "When The Night" is a complete ripoff...it makes me so mad when I hear people on MM or radio saying 'wow it is so great to hear a new sound comming from these guys!!!!"

Thank you! I just wanted to know I wasn't crazy.

Art for Art's sake. Fuck commerce...

There is a time I would have fully agreed, deranger, but given today's economic realities (reduced album sales/limited radio access/increased touring costs etc etc) for anyone attempting to make a living based on music, I can appreciate the decisions being made. I understand the Golden Dogs are using the money to buy a van which hopefully will get them to places in this fair land where they haven't yet been and for the folks that will get to see them there that's a good thing.