Jambands.ca

Angry noisy student content

TheGoodRev

I live in the student ghetto in Hamilton. I've lived in this particular house since September. We've got a full band set-up in the basement with a drum kit, a bunch of amps and a PA. We've been rehearsing in the basement without incident since we arrived. My particular band has been playing at the house every other Wednesday since late December (in Toronto on off weeks), and we've had various short-lived projects and one-off jams play in the basement. I know that Hamilton's noise laws are applicable 24 hours a day; I learned that the hard way at our house last year. But I figured we'd test the waters, and if we got a complaint, we'd know our limits. Anyway like I said, we've been rehearsing since September, always careful to cut things off by 11pm, and never had a problem.

Then a week and a half ago I let it go until 11:30 on a Friday night. We stopped and came up stairs and sat on the couch. 10 minutes or so later, the bylaw enforcers are at the door. They told us this was the 'wrong neighbourhood to have a band' and so on, and let us off with a warning. Ok, I figured, 11 o'clock is the cutoff with my neighbours; maybe even 10:30 to keep everybody happy. I was kind of impressed that I had gone so long in this place without a complaint.

Then tonight I'm having my regular Wednesday reheasal, and at 9:30 we hear a knock at the door between tunes. There are three guys at the door: One of the pair who was here last week, one big mustached guy I didn't recognize, and a man whom I can only describe as the chief of bylaw enforcement officers (that fact determined by his miltary haircut and prominent display of bright badge and squawking shoulder radio). This third fellow, the chief? I recognized him...because he had knocked on my door at my house last year on at least two separate occasions.

Anyway what this comes down to is a ticket for $125 and a fine to my landlord for $180. I realize I was the one making the noise, I just wish whoever it is who keeps complaining would have thought to knock on our door months ago if they wanted us to turn it down. Can I get a witness? Or am I about to be put in my place?

I've been in the same position a bunch of times and have also been ticketed. The best thing to do is talk to your neighbors ahead of time and give them your phone number so they can call if they get pissed. Most people are reasonable if you explain the situation and ask them to complain to you instead of the cops.

My guess is that your neighbour was a little annoyed at it going until 11pm, but not enough to call. Then, after it went to 11:30pm, the neighbour said, "That's it!" and switched modes, calling whenever he was annoyed.

Have you checked your local bylaws? As far as I know, while there are often time periods when excessive noise isn't allowed, any complaint they get, regardless of when, is evidence enough to charge you.

In short, you're screwed. The only thing I can think of would be to write up a heartfelt apology/explanation, with a promise to turn things down a bit (and, of course, you'd actually have to turn things down...) and stop earlier (9pm, say); ask if this would be OK, and put in contact info (including a phone #, or even a note saying that an anonymous piece of paper in the mailbox is OK). Wait a week or two, and see what happens.

Aloha,

Brad

I think Brad has a good idea. Since someone around you is obviously pissed, it's sort of on you now toe take the high road (even though they probably should have gone to you before ByLaw) and mend fences. A note explaining your situation and an offer to keep it quieter and earlier might give the complainant the satisfaction/quiet that he/she/they is/are looking for. If that doesn't work, the show might have to go elsewhere from now on. Good luck.

How loud is it outside? Get the band to play or put some tunes on at the same volume level and walk around outside to see how loud it is and where the noise is coming from (badly sealed window, something on those lines). There's a good chance that a little bit of creative styrofoaming could plug up the problem.

I had a neighbor when I lived in London (ON) that called the cops at least 3 times a week on us for noise but it was never once loud enough. After a while (about a year) the cops got so mad they gave a ticket to the neighbors that kept complaining because it was wasting their time. If you're respectful and stop at decent times then there shouldn't be a problem, you might just have the same asshole type neighbor that I had.

Ohhh my god drums and guitars. I can barely hear people howling on American Idol or scheming on Survivor.

Dicks.

Throw a huge party and show them how loud you can be. Did I mention that the party show be on a flat bed and a lot of PA gear should be rented.

note* In no way is this going to make anything better, but I hope it makes you laugh. SOrry about this situation brother....shitty deal.

I've been in the same position a bunch of times and have also been ticketed. The best thing to do is talk to your neighbors ahead of time and give them your phone number so they can call if they get pissed. Most people are reasonable if you explain the situation and ask them to complain to you instead of the cops.

I should have mentioned, when we first moved in I sat at the drumkit in the basement and my roomate walked outside to see how far he could hear it. He didn't think it was too far, so we talked to the old woman who lives next door. She didn't even want to take our phone number, she said she loved music and she was half-deaf anyway. To the other side of us is another student house, so we didn't even bother talking to them. I wonder if it's them who's complaining.

Anyway, further to your suggestion Brad, that was the only logical thing I could think of last night: draft a generic letter and drop it in the mailboxes of, say, the 8 surrounding houses. 'We don't want to inconvenience anybody etc, just want to know when the best time is for us to play' or something to that effect. We haven't checked the local bylaw ourselves, but the noise officers told us last year and last night that complaints can be made 24 hours a day. What the hell? In Toronto it's 11pm ain't it? Sometimes I miss my hometown (though I love the Hammer otherwise).

And Deeps: you'll get the first invitation if we throw a party like that. Thought it'd probably mean another ticket so we'd have to build that into the keg pricing.

I've been in this boat before. One thing the cops explained to me, while handing me a $105 ticket, was the 11 pm thing. It's a common misperception that you can make noise until 11 pm without fear of reprisal. Noise bylaws are in effect 24/7, and if somebody complains, they have to act on it.

A lot of people work nights, and sleep until 11 pm to go to their shift at midnight. That was the case with my neighbours! They hated me.

Eventually my band bit the bullet and shelled out $150 a month for a proper rehearsal spot. That was a pretty good price split 4 ways.

An anectdote:

My friend Mike is a professional drummer and he's damn good at what he does, because he hits the drums 6-12 hours a day at home practising. Anyways, we used to be in a band together that practised at my place. Once for some reason we had to jam at Mike's place. Mike lived in a duplex. So we're jamming away and it gets to be almost midnight. I asked if we should stop jamming for the neighbors sake, and Mike says, "No problem, the family that lives next door (that is, the mom, dad and two kids on the other side of the wall from where this guy practises all day) are all deaf."

Talk about a lucky fluke (for Mike, anyways).

A rehearsal space is a good suggestion. A friend of mine has a space in Toronto and he rents out his space to other bands when he's not using it which he said usually pays his rent for the whole month.

I have a home studio in my garage that I did my best to sound proof. I works pretty good. I find it's the low end that really causes the most noise(all thos big sound waves).

Having an open dialog with your neighbours is key. You should try to find out who is complaining and then work something out with them.

I had neighbours complain that I was listening to my AM radio too loud at 5 in the afternoon. I invited them into my apartment to hear the sound level and they agreed that the volume was reasonable. I guess the bass is amplifying the sound as it travels up (they live above me). It's really frustrating.

it's hard to judge what people find offensive and what makes people fly off the handle.

time share studio space is my answer. it's cheap and socially acceptable.

that or save your jams for 12 -5 in the afternoon. even so, there's always a shift worker out there that could ruin your goodtime.

id say your best bet is to talk w/ the neighbours

ill never forget one night at sanislo's old place, attached 2unit block.

raunchy, loud jam in the basement, full band givin'er, and between every tune sanz would get on the mic and shout last tune, seriously this time! last one!!

theres was about 10 msgs from his neighbour on the machine, buddy i gotta work in the morning, 2nd was hey man you know i gotta work in the morning, real early, 3rd was a bit worse, etc etc

man i remember playing them back over and over just laughing our asses off

good times

I had neighbours complain that I was listening to my AM radio too loud at 5 in the afternoon. I invited them into my apartment to hear the sound level and they agreed that the volume was reasonable. I guess the bass is amplifying the sound as it travels up (they live above me). It's really frustrating.

AM radio?!? bass?!? 5 in the afternoon?!?something's not adding up here ollie... did you swipe that anecdote from PT?!?!? :crazy:

Edited by Guest
hoagies

AM radio?!? bass?!? 5 in the afternoon?!?something's not adding up here ollie... did you swipe that anecdote from PT?!?!? :crazy:

Dude, I listen to The Team when I get home from work. Nothing phishy here.

yeah yeah that's your story anyway. i pictured you sweating to the oldies kinda thing... then again i try to envision that at least once a day regardless

bouche had a neighbour who would call the cops even if there was no noise coming from their part of the duplex at all, it got to the point where they threatened to sue the neighbours for harrassment and they(the neighbours) left soon afterwards. talk about harshing your buzz

What a great thread :) - music, and everything!

We tested our noise levels here when we first moved in by getting Velvet drunk and then setting him loose with a few tunes while people checked things out from the front lawn. It passed even that test, so I think we're alright. We are further blessed, though, by having a stone-deaf octogenarian on one side of us, and, until recently, an empty house on the other (it's since been moved into by a young couple who are more likely the sort of appreciate our kind of noise).

The rehearsal space idea is a good one though, which, as FbN and BK above, can be cost-effective when spread across a band or a few.

It is also no doubt a good idea to do some patting-down of the neighbours' feathers at this point, though; who knows, you might find some that will even have some good things to say about your sound :).

Soundproof Man! egg cartons (lots and lots)

Egg cartons are a bad idea. They don't work, and they're a fire hazard. If you want to soundproof a room, either use heavier drywall (there's a special kind that deadens sound), or hang heavy drapes/carpets on the wall. Mass and air gaps is the key.

Aloha,

Brad

id say your best bet is to talk w/ the neighbours

ill never forget one night at sanislo's old place, attached 2unit block.

raunchy, loud jam in the basement, full band givin'er, and between every tune sanz would get on the mic and shout last tune, seriously this time! last one!!

theres was about 10 msgs from his neighbour on the machine, buddy i gotta work in the morning, 2nd was hey man you know i gotta work in the morning, real early, 3rd was a bit worse, etc etc

man i remember playing them back over and over just laughing our asses off

good times

good times!!!