Jambands.ca

Billy Preston Dead at 59

MarcO

Was it David Brenner that had Billy Preston as his musical director? That's where I remember him from best. Brenner would often joke about him being the fifth Beatle. Really sad news and an overall shitty week for musician deaths.

May you rest in peace Billy,

I was lucky enough to see you several times in Eric Clapton's band in 2001 through 2004.

Though the first 2001 concert you were too ill to attend due to your kidney failure because of malignant hypertension.

Kidney disease runs in my family and I know all too well the suffering that you had to endure, now that your suffering on this earth has passed I hope you find peace in Heaven.

Tim

I don't know if I ever saw him. I suspect I did, somewhere along the ways when he played with some other legend, but if it ever happened I didn't know it at the time. Either way, I know I've never seen him playing his own songs, and I regret that.

RIP. Another legend; gone.

That was rude but funny, non? I did see him perform with The Band in 1989 at the old Ontario Place Forum. Stan Szelest, a Band associate with a strong left hand, had dropped out and Billy stepped in. Richard had died five years earlier I believe so seeing Billy in the second piano position next to Garth really brought something to the show. It was the rotating stage if anyone recalls and we had really good seats. Your heroes would come rolling by every few minutes. Billy did a little song or two of his own as I recall in the middle of the set. I remember him going right out into the crowd clapping, hootenanying and singing 'this is the way god made me this is the way god wants me to be'.

:(.

I feel good, in a weird sort of way, that so much of the last week has had the Let It Be dvd playing in the house here (thanks Booche :) ). For further weirdness, I took a serendipitous trip to the local library earlier this evening where I grabbed the Concert for George dvd off the shelf, where I was wholly surprised to have seen it.