Jambands.ca

bonnaroo 06: the trip of my lifetime.

Well, well, well. Back from Bonnaroo safely and still in one piece.

I had a great time. The music was great. It really is almost overwhelming just the sheer volume of music that one is able to take in within a three day period. I checked out all (or atleast part of) the following:

Wood Brothers

World Party

Donavon Frankenreiter

Mike Gordon & Ramble Dove

Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder

Oysterhead

Petty

Grace Potter & the Nocturnals

Neville Brothers

Buddy Guy

Elvis Costello w/ Allen Toussaint

Damian Marley

Blues Traveller

Beck

Cypress Hill

Medeski Martin & Wood

Radiohead

Dr. John

SuperJam

Codetalkers

Jerry Douglas

Bela

moe.

Phil & Friends

....phew!!!

And what a variety. Last year I didn't ramble around quite as much. This year, there were more 'conflicts' for me, and hence that is why I walked my ass off in order to catch as much as I possibly could.... and I've got the swollen ankles to prove it. A little exhausted but well worth it.

It is difficult to pick out a favourite, as I was groovin hard to pretty much everything I saw. Having said that, I don't think that this was the greatest venue for Radiohead to play at. I missed the beginning of their show. I did enjoy what I saw/heard. Some of it is a little heavy or spacey for my taste but this is enhanced by some truly beautifully constructed songs. They certainly take what they do very seriously. I would most likely go and see them perform again, but I would prefer this to take place in a stadium, or somewhere other than Bonnaroo. I like to dance, dance, dance at a place like Bonnaroo, and I personally don't think Radiohead was very conducive for the whole collective vibe sorta thing.

If I had to choose my highlights would have to be Ramble Dove, Petty (rocked the house...), Neville Brothers (I totally underestimated them...damn they are funky!!), Damian Marley (especially Exodus...very powerful...the good ol' reggae vibes helped to balance me out), MMW (unfortunately only caught the end, but they were sounding great), SuperJam (Trey, Gordon, the duo... what can I say?), Codetalkers (whether at Pepperjack's or the main stage at Bonnaroo these guys fuckin rock, you gotta check them out!!), Jerry Douglas (gotta love the bluegrass), moe. (delightfully surprised by how much I dug them), and Phil & Friends (Scofield is such a great addition, and they were cranking out the hits!!)

Thanks to all who contributed to my good times. Canada represented well down there this year. I hope everyone arrived back safely and satisfied.

Cheers!!

Edited by Guest

Bonnaroo was absolutely incredible! I am so happy that I was able to make it across the border (which was a tough task, nonetheless...I was molested by the border guard, seriously). This was the best Bonnaroo I have been at and each and every show I saw blew me away. My highlights were Phil and Friends, moe., Umphreys, Superjam, MMW, Robert Randolph (yea thats right, I missed Oysterhead unfortunately), and various other awsome sets of music (Grace Potter, Nickel Creek, Soulive, Bela Fleck, Matisyahu, MMJ etc...)

One of the best parts of the festival had to be when it rained for the second set of Phil and Friends. It was almost like Phil controlled the weather (as my friend who was tripping out for his first time kept saying :) )

It was great seeing Sara, Will, and Josh and Snappy (can't remember if I saw anyone else)...I also managed to run into a few friends of mine that I hadn't seen for years and years and got enjoy a few sets of awsome music with them. It was like one Bonnaroo miracle after another :)

Another favourite of moment of mine was when I was waiting in line for food about an hour before Phil and someone asked me if there was anything else to do tonight. I said HELL YEAH go see Phil and Friends. The guys friend asked "Who is Phil?" And the guy replied "Oh I think he plays Guitar in Phish or something like that" I laughed so hard...needless to say I saw those two guys rocking out hard for Phil during the whole set.

Edited by Guest

Just getting up from my sleep! What a fantastic trip! I'm exausted, and have the pictures to prove why! I'll work on a review once I figure out heads and tails of the mound of stuff I have at my front door. Good to read all the other reviews so far! I'm glad others also had an awesome time. How could one not? I mean a 12' Zippo fer christs sake!!!

Edited by Guest

Im in Nashville right now, getting read to see phil and friends tonight. But wow, what a great time bonnaroo was. Hightlights for me were superjam and phil and friends ( i was just a few rows back for both and both bands were stellar). I saw so much great music by new bands and bands i like. Cant wait till next year.

cheers

Bonnaroo was completely crazy! I'm still trying to process all of the amazing music I saw. Petty with Stevie Nicks was awesome, my first time seeing Oysterhead (they were insane), the late night sets are what really impressed me - dancing on top of the Mr. T parade float during Dr. John and the super late Dumpstafunk set were super kick-ass, Phil was just a non-stop hit parade. Heck I was even able to talk my way out of a speeding ticket with the Ohio State Police. All around it was a magical weekend! Can't wait for next years line-up!

Well ive been debating whether or not to share this story with everyone as there are a certain few i really want to be able to tell in person... it truly was a magical connection... everything that happened was so weird we were wondering if the stars were alligned or something... and no it wasnt the beer and umm...

We arrived at the airport on Monday to find that my flight was cancelled and that i had been rebooked out on Monday morning... sad that we had to say goodbye for now she walks me out to the hotel shuttle and looks up to see that her flight in the opposite direction was cancelled as well... rebooked for the morning and we got to spend one more day together... pure magic... im not sure i believed in fate before but im seriously thinking about it now... Will see her in August and hope the time flies till the day...

This broadcast from cheese TV has now ended... we now return you to your regular skank programming!

Me and Mellie!

Edited by Guest