Jambands.ca

Groundhog Fest (Kitchener) Feb. 2 and 3

MamaPink

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like jonyak and I are renting a car. :o

I'm going to research some decent motels tomorrow and make some calls to see if I could get a group rate if enough people were interested. I'll make sure they are close to the venue (as close as i can find anyway)

Schwa., did you find anything? What's the best/usual hotel for people going to The Lanc?

Aloha,

Brad

brad, try the Victoria Motel or the Mayflower Motel, both on victoria st in kitchener. they're pretty cheap...65 and 80/night and then there is the destination inn and waterloo inn which run 150 per night.

didn't really get enough interest to get a reduced rate but hope that helps ya a bit.

is the line up that's listed in the first post of this thread the official line up?

someone told me that dave and wtts are playing friday, but i think, after looking at it, they might have read it wrong, and i just want to confirm that I'M RIGHT!

Alexis ... YOU ARE RIGHT! :) The lineup posted on the first page is correct ... Dave and WTTS are playing on Saturday.

I hope that you (and the car you are in) can make it. If I remember correctly, your car died on the way to last year's show ...

Peace, Mark

From another topic:

Tungsten isn't actually doing sound, but the guy recommended by Tungsten last year (Matt K.) is doing it again this year. Last year's sound was awesome, it was one of the best sounding bar/club shows that I have ever been to. It's the same sound guy for both nights this year, so it should sound FAT on Saturday night as well.

Tungsten will be there, helping out with sound and lights and doing some recording I think. Nothing like last year's recording setup, but something to capture what goes on. I think he's recording on Friday night for sure, and is planning a matrix mix. He may also record on Saturday night, but if you're coming down Brad I could see him leaving the recording to you on Saturday night. Or maybe both of you can record.

OK, I'll be bringing both my "big rig" (Oktava MC-012 mics, Edirol UA-5 pre-amp, Creative Nomad JB3 recorder, big stand) and my "little rig" (SP-BMC3 stealth mics, SP-SPSB1 battery box, Sharp MD-MT15S minidisc recorder), along with a bunch of patch cables and adaptors and such.

If Matt or Tungsten will be recording off the board upstairs, then all I need to do is record from the audience. If the board isn't being recorded upstairs, I can use my MD, but will have to change discs, as I think some sets are longer than an MD can hold (80 minutes).

Now if the board is being recorded upstairs, that frees up my "little rig" to be used elsewhere, such as downstairs. The problem is that, as much as I want to try it, I doubt I'll be able to record two separate shows, upstairs/downstairs from each other, at the same time. (Although if I could manage it, it would be one for the record [pun intended] books...)

So will any recording be going on downstairs? If someone knows how to operate an MD recorder (setting levels, changing discs, etc.), I can loan my little rig to be used downstairs if I don't need it upstairs.

One other thing that'd help a lot is being able to be there during the sound checks. Is this workable? When are bands loading in and checking sound?

Aloha,

Brad

hey mark, thanks for the update.

yeah the buick beast died on route last year. my gas line decided to break at that nice little petro can service station off the 401 in cambridge.

this year tho, i have a new ride that is VERY reliable so i shall be there for saturday night, as originally planned.

god i love being right! ;)

So will any recording be going on downstairs? If someone knows how to operate an MD recorder (setting levels, changing discs, etc.), I can loan my little rig to be used downstairs if I don't need it upstairs.

I can take care of getting the downstairs recorded through the sbd, using my MD recorder.

So will any recording be going on downstairs? If someone knows how to operate an MD recorder (setting levels' date=' changing discs, etc.), I can loan my little rig to be used downstairs if I don't need it upstairs.

[/quote']

I can take care of getting the downstairs recorded through the sbd, using my MD recorder.

Sweetness. If the downstairs board isn't set up (i.e., won't have a separate/suitable mix) for recording, my little stealth mics could be used if needed (I've sometimes just taped them to a mic stand in the middle of the stage and got good results).

Aloha,

Brad