Jambands.ca

sudden death of our friend Marcel ...

mark tonin

Earlier today, I received some sad and tragic news ... a very good friend of mine, and of the the entire Harvard Mouse family, died suddenly while sleeping last night, apparantly of a heart attack. He was back for a visit to Ontario and staying at his parents when this happened.

Some of you will know and remember Marcel from the music shows and festivals he attended. The Chairmouse was a big, friendly, generous guy who a few years ago moved to Slocan, British Columbia, but who still made it back this way on a regular basis to visit with his family and friends.

The entire Harvard Mouse family is still in a state of shock over this. We jammed together on Saturday night, and two of his best friends spoke with him on the phone just a few hours before it happened.

Forty years old ... far too young to die.

We all love you Marcel, and we will all miss you so much.

Mark

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

niffermouse and i just got back in from an evening with mark and liana and the mouse family...i don't think that it's sunk in yet. i can still see marcel from saturday night, standing in front of my kit, beatific smile on his face, wailing away.

marcel was one of the best people i know, and we're all really going to miss him. forty is indeed too young for a heart attack...

to paraphrase douglas adams, marcel was extremely. it didn't matter what excatly his state was, but it was always extremely. extremely happy, extremely sad, extremely silly...and he will be extremely missed.

fare thee well, chairmouse.

This is such a fucked up medium to reach out with. I know at least he'd be chuckling about that. I can hear it right now.

At this moment, I miss my friends, and need right now to be with them, as at least we soon will. Words are too feeble, struggle as we do with them. This song has been the only one to course through my soul over and over tonight, and I've never felt it so deeply; it's a sacrament. I've known nobody like Marcel that this could ever fit so well, and if anyone has had the sweet fortune to have known him, they'll know. Truer, more open, and more uncompromisingly honest and direct people I've never known. And he's still here, which is what hurts so much. Marcel had a heart for music like few others; I've known nobody with a heart so big.

This is the last I can say here on this. Sorry for reaching out like this. The song is him. It's hard to be so far from tomorrow, when we can be with his friends.

Rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb

You know better but I know him.

Like I told you, what I said

Steal your face right off your head.

Now he's gone, now he's gone, Lord he's gone, he's gone.

Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track

He's gone, gone, nothing's gonna bring him back.

He's gone.

Nine mile skid on a ten mile ride

Hot as a pistol but cool inside.

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,

Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Now he's gone, now he's gone Lord he's gone

He's gone.

Like a steam locomotive, rolling down the track

He's gone, gone, nothing's gonna bring him. back.

He's gone.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,

Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Lost one round but the price wasn't anything,

A knife in the back and more of the same.

Same old, rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb

You know better but I know him.

Like I told you, what I said,

Steal your face right off your head.

Now he's gone, now he's gone Lord he's gone

He's gone.

Like a steam locomotive, rolling down the track

He's gone, gone, nothing's gonna bring him back.

He's gone.

Nothin's gonna bring him back.

Tears as I read the messages and post this info:

[color:blue]The funeral for Marcel Guderian will take place on Monday Dec. 18, 2006 at 1:30 PM

Edward R. Good Funeral Home

171 King St. South, Waterloo, Ont.

(519) 745-8445

There will be a reception immediately following the funeral at the Edward R. Good Funeral home and all are welcome to attend.

Marcel is being cremated and there will be no public visitation.

In lieu of flowers, the family would gratefully accept donations to:

The Cardiac Fitness Association

RR#2 Breslau, Ont.

(519) 648-2252

Your continued prayers for the family would be appreciated.