Jambands.ca

What's Happened To Robert Randolph?

Jaimoe

I just got off the phone with Booche. He was so outraged at what he saw tonight that he called me at work long-distance to tell me that Robert Randolph was terrible performing at the beginning of tonight's NHL All-Star Game. No wonder the game wasn't a sell-out. Booche also mentioned that there's been some negative buzz surrounding RR recently regarding his behaviour and erratic playing. Is there any truth to this? If so, what's going on?

Thanks for confirming what I saw and heard as well. First, I was surprised and happy that I was getting to see him and that he was performing at the event. But that was totally lackluster and lacked any sort of power and soul that I've experienced at his gigs in the past. I haven't followed him much in the last couple of years, but this is a change. Too bad.

His new album isn't very good imho. His live shows are the same every time, I remember from previous public performances (the grammys) that he isn't so good not playing to his crowd. I didn't see the show (there is no hockey here) but hopefully it's not as bad as everyone says. I love Randolph but lately I love him more as a guest musician at other people's shows...which is a shame.

Danyel on the bass on the other hand...wow he is so underrated.

I don't think he had a troubled childhood.Both of his parents are involved in the church, as well as much of his family. I think growing up where he did, he could have had a troubled childhood, and has friends who did, but got involved in the church to avoid that...

I'm not sure what happened to the music. I think I started wondering maybe late 2003 or early 2004. Setlists became somewhat repetitive, and the playing wasn't 'pushing the envelope' as much as he used to. I have no idea. I could be full of crap. I think, in part, the changes came with a new record deal, switching of the keyboard player, and I'm speculating change in management or handlers or what have you? Huge talent, lots of hype, maybe record company tried to mainstream him a bit, and he lost some support from the Jam community that really gave his career a boost in the beginning.

If you want to hear some really goooood Robert, do yourself a favor and download these shows:

http://www.archive.org/details/rrandolph2002-02-09.shnf

http://www.archive.org/details/RRFB2003-01-10.shnf

BEST MOMENT .. interview of Bettman by McLean.

Funny you mention that Kev. I didn't bother watching the game but I tuned in for the 'annual' Bettman-MacLean Commissioner's Corner segment (used to be an annual thing pre-lock out). Bettman is a great salesman, I'll give him that. My favourite line was Bettman's "oh, my knees are getting weak" after MacLean admitted he was finally warming up to the new style of play. Hilarious.

Cue the "this belongs in Rich Stadium" replies.

Yeah, Robert Randolph wasn't very spectacular. New Song, All the mascots moshing infront of a passive crowd who was walking by to get into the stadium for the game. He didn't even get outta his chair and flip the pedal steel and stomp like he does. That allstar game was pathetic production. I mean there were some amazing things... like the stage that they lowered to hover a couple inches off the ice, but did they even use it? Certainly not to the effect of justifying the cost. And the only time I really heard the crowd was when they yelled "STARS" when the word came up in the Star Spangled Banner. The Woman who delivered the Canadian Anthem... WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!!! Take your Kobuku Theather back to Japan! (Not that anyone was Japanese, or there's anything wrong with that)

He's just stopped trying to do anything artistically new for too long. I was at the last show here in TO and Jaydawg was right, he played almost as much guitar (not what I paid for) as he did pedal steel. The last show before that I saw at the Phoenix was fuckin terrible. A night of shitty covers with no energy. He needs to write better new songs and tour less. (and I need to learn to spell better.)

Also, no band or artist ever sounds very good on TV, and certainly not outside the fuckin arena playin to people who probably have no clue who he is. Besides, that venue and idea (intro the All-star game) would not have been the ideal setting for some RR shred. (though it would have been avast improvment). I think maybe they were going for the RR pump us up with your high octane gospel rock.

Edited by Guest

He's just stopped trying to do anything artistically new for too long. I was at the last show here in TO and Jaydawg was right, he played almost as much guitar (not what I paid for) as he did pedal steel.

Sounds like you could be talking about Ben Harper as well.