Jambands.ca

Grateful Fest 8

afro poppa

Gratefulfest ‘07 reminded me of so many things that I am grateful for. I cannot remember ever having a better time at a music festival than I did at Gratefulfest ‘07. What a brilliant combination of amazing music, natural landscape, and wonderful people. I’ve wanted to make it to this venue for the last few years, and am very glad that I finally made it happen. This festival captures the spirit of the Grateful Dead experience in many ways.

Musically, Dark Star Orchestra got me to that magical musical place that made my emotions bubble like a pot of spicy chili left on the stove to simmer for a long time. Tears of joy, tears of sadness, smiles and laughs, psychedelic madness … I shiver as I sit here writing this. The Morning Dew mentioned by edger made me melt. I got to hear Brokedown Palace twice, once when it was played late night by the Zen Tricksters and friends, and once when it was played as the final song on the final night by DSO. Both times I was with Joni (mousepad) and memories of our beloved friend Marcel spilled from our hearts through our eyes.

I’ve wanted to see Greyboy Allstars and Zero ever since tigger introduced me to both bands by giving me copies of live shows 5 or 6 years ago. Both bands did not disappoint … I had a blast dancing on the beach for the whole festival, and especially for those two bands. I wish that Kimock let it rip even more during the Zero set, but his guitar playing was still impressive and the rest of the band was great.

Two bands I’d never heard of before that impressed the heck out of me were Cornmeal, a newgrass band that played an acoustic and an electric set, and The New Mastersounds, a funky, jazzy instrumental band from the UK.

My favourite musician from the whole weekend was Rob Barraco. If I had a dollar for every time I looked up at the stage to see him smiling while “tinkling the ivories†I’d be a rich man. That guy is golden.

In case anyone wonders … Donna Jean can sing!

I enjoyed many other bands and musicians as well, and missed some that I’m sure were also great, but found that I needed/wanted to take a break from the stages from time to time to go for a swim (what a refreshing swimming hole!), wander around the vending areas and sample the tasty food and drink, and hang out at our campsite in the woods to visit with friends and play music.

The music brings us together, and what an amazing collection of people came together for this festival! Joni (mousepad), I am so lucky to have you as a close friend. Thanks to both you and Robin for arriving early to the festival in order to secure such an amazing campsite. Talk about hospitality … I arrived at the festival and the tent that I sent down with Joni and Robin was already set up!

Edger my friend, it was wonderful to be able to spend a bunch of quality time with you at the festival. Your insight, maturity and thoughtfulness amaze me. You are a beautiful person, inside and out, and your beauty lights up the people around you.

Blair and Mud, what can I say? I love spending time with the two of you and it was so nice to be able to do it at this festival. When I think of the two of you I think of love and kindness and positive energy. Blair, thanks for sharing your song with me … that was special. As was the surfing dive onto the sand near the end of Zero’s set! Mud, it was very sweet hearing you sing and play. Blair and Mud, thanks for inviting Boss and Aubre to this festival, as it was a huge treat having them camped with us. I have heard lots positive things about the two of them over the last few years, and now I understand why … they are wonderful people to be around. Boss, thanks for the campfire music … wow!

Karin and James, both of you rock! I loved hearing both of you sing and play, and thanks for the endless supply of bratwurst sausage! Chris, I don’t think that you visit this message board, but if you do, thanks for driving, for the conversation, for the friendship. Jelena, it was nice having you along for the convoy down to the festival and at the campsite. Captainsunshine, thanks for sharing that wonderfully infectious positive dancing energy … I had a blast dancing with you!

I’m running out of steam here but also need to say thanks to Tigger, Becky, Baj, Rich, Steve from Cleveland, Chandler, Jen & Swifty & family, Kanada Kev & family, Sarahbelle and Hippyrastachild for the conversation, laughs, dances, and/or feel good vibes that were shared. I hope that I didn’t forget anybody!

I didn't take any pics, so I'm begging the rest of you to share pictures ... please ... pretty please!

What a frickin’ blast!!!

Peace, Mark

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I'm new here, but was attracted by the Gratefulfest conversation.

Myself and a couple of my buddies got there on the 2nd (unbelievable choice to get there so early). We got a great camp site, and the week only kept getting better.

The DSO soundcheck was amazing. I didn't go up to the stage for it, but I had a cooler and a section of quarry wall which seemed like the proper way to start the festival.

The weather was unbelievable the whole week.

Shows:

Dark Star - Friday's show was good, everything else was unspeakably spectacular

Rowan/Tony Rice - Rice's late walkon was priceless. Loved it.

JGB was fantastic - gotta love Melvin

Zero with SK was good but not fantastic

The Zen Tricksters late with guests galore was unbelievable

Umphreys and Keller were underwhelming

Boombox wasn't enjoyable for me, but I think that had more to do with me not liking their sound

The New Mastersounds were pleasant but got upstaged by:

The Greyboy Allstars who I saw for the first time.

Donna was wonderful in all her performances

A show I haven't seen anyone mention yet was the Greyspoke show. I thought they played okay in their first set, and spectacularly in their second set (including 'Mighty High' with Rob Barraco and Lisa Mackey).

Although I'm quite biased - they're all my friends - I'd love to hear any thoughts on the show.

Best show of the whole week though was an acoustic set on Saturday night. In what had become a near nightly occurence Rob Eaton Sr. and Rob Barraco showed up to the trampoline at our campsite one final time. However, this time they brought along Rob Koritz as well. Eaton Sr. jammed on an acoustic while Barraco played a bass through a pignose and Koritz played a snare case and the trampoline itself. They were joined by Rob Eaton Jr. and Mike Wheeler of Greyspoke on acoustics, and one more member of our camping crew who's not in Greyspoke. They jammed well into the night and it was the grand finale* to an incredible week.

Did any of you stop by the tramp? We had a crowd a 3-4 rows deep on a couple of occasions.

*speaking of which how 'bout those fireworks

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Surprise soundcheck set at Nelson Ledges

Dark Star Orchestra set up early at Nelson Ledges and played a 1 hour soundcheck set:

The Weight, Big Iron, I'll Take a Melody, I Am the Walrus>Ohio, Watching the Wheels, Up on Cripple Creek.

to all you skancs in attendance....[color:purple]you fuckers! ;)

what an awesome week of music I'm missing :(

I know its not the same as being there live but here it is to atleast listen too.

http://www.archive.org/details/dso2007-07-03.flac16

anyone catch Nawal at 4 am Saturday morning? played PJC Sat night and once we got talkin realized they'd come straight from gratefulfest (said they were only playing to 30 or 40 people at 4am)... they play some extremely beautiful and sincere sounding music

thanks for all the lowdowns... will have to remember to actually go next year

There was a vendor who chose to make 7-7-07 Kids Hoop Day. Kids were allowed to go to his booth and make their own hoop for free. What a kind gesture. Here's a bit of a parade they had for them. It was led by the "sound" wagon (so cool, a guy uses the bottom part of an electric wheelchair as a locomotive to pull this wagon pimped out with amps speakers light system, etc.)

Killatokes in response to your question, the only "negative" (although I consider it a huge positive), is if you're into meth, heroine, nitrous or blatantly parading around with cocaine then you would have been likely asked to leave....

I have pictures on my camera. What's the best way for me to load them up to this site? I'm not on facebook or anything like that, and I have an extremely slow and irritating internet connection. But if anyone can point me towards a not too painful process, I would love to share some of the shots I've got. There's some goodies.

What a festival!!!

A wonderfully magical time, indeed!!

Being with my amazing husband at the place I met him just 1 year before was such a glorious feeling.. I got to dance, talk, hug, and play with friends both new and old..

It was awesome meeting and hanging out with lots of Skanks there, the Canadian presence on the dance floor rocked!!

Joni, it was wonderful to be in your presence.. You are an amazing woman, and I'm so happy to know you! And thanks for the anniversary gift!! (You already know about that though!! ;);) Hehe)

Mark, we make a pretty good dance team!

Scott and Becky, you guys are crazy.. You made me laugh all weekend! (Love you.. Miss you already!! Have fun raiding castles!)

Sara, it was awesome seeing you smiling, dancing and having fun! I knew you'd have a great time!!

Lauren and Sarah, that chili was off the hook.. Haha.. I had lots of fun seeing you both dancing your asses off!!

Kanada Kev, it was a pleasure to see your family (and nanny.. ha) having such a good time! It made me smile seeing Jack and Cassidy dancing and having fun.. And thanks for the surprise treats! Packing up was never so much fun (and slow.... :P )

The music was fantastic.. I didn't catch everything, although I tried.. Not one band disappointed me. The magic of the Ledges was surrounding everyone the entire week. I can't wait until next year!

P.S. Watch out for the turtles...

Although I'm quite biased - they're all my friends - I'd love to hear any thoughts on the show.

Best show of the whole week though was an acoustic set on Saturday night. In what had become a near nightly occurence Rob Eaton Sr. and Rob Barraco showed up to the trampoline at our campsite one final time. However, this time they brought along Rob Koritz as well. Eaton Sr. jammed on an acoustic while Barraco played a bass through a pignose and Koritz played a snare case and the trampoline itself. They were joined by Rob Eaton Jr. and Mike Wheeler of Greyspoke on acoustics, and one more member of our camping crew who's not in Greyspoke. They jammed well into the night and it was the grand finale* to an incredible week.

Did any of you stop by the tramp? We had a crowd a 3-4 rows deep on a couple of occasions.

I'd like to see/hear more about this little shindig. Didn't anyone here stop by?

Kanada Kev, it was a pleasure to see your family (and nanny.. ha) having such a good time! It made me smile seeing Jack and Cassidy dancing and having fun.. And thanks for the surprise treats! Packing up was never so much fun (and slow.... :P )

LOL ... that was Bryn, the Manny with Moobs!!!

Glad you liked the treats. Damn fine, huh? You can thank our lovely neighbours from Chi-town for that going away present :) How was the "banana bread"?

Look out Rich! Here come the turtles ;)

turtle-t.jpgturtle.jpg