Jambands.ca

Grateful Fest 8

afro poppa

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ohio has different liquor laws, but i know there aren't any restrictions here in michigan. just to be safe, though, i'm buying my liquor up here and stopping for beer in ohio. you have to go to special stores in ohio to buy liquor, much like in canada. and beer is cheaper in ohio than here because there's no bottle deposit.

see ya all tomorrow!

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Surprise soundcheck set at Nelson Ledges

Dark Star Orchestra set up early at Nelson Ledges and played a 1 hour soundcheck set:

The Weight, Big Iron, I'll Take a Melody, I Am the Walrus>Ohio, Watching the Wheels, Up on Cripple Creek.

to all you skancs in attendance....[color:purple]you fuckers! ;)

what an awesome week of music I'm missing :(

BACK, from hippyheaven unfortunately :(

but what a week...7 straight dayz of pure fun in the sun.

The weather was perfect along with the music and company...it was so great to have so many fellow skanks groovin' all together at my favorite place.

oh and Starhead don't mean to rub it in but that surprise set was one of my favorites from the weekend.

Hope everyone had as much fun as I did !!!:)

more to follow as I ease myself back into reality very reluctantly here at work...booooo ha

Well I don't know if I have the time right now to really give this festival the credit it deserves, but I'll try and sum it all up as best as I can.

This was by far one of the best festivals I have ever attended for so many different reasons (and for the record I was basically completely sober all weekend, so I think that has to count for something as well)...

The venue is incredible. We had a great, relatively private campsite with a pretty dense forest cover. The swimming was fantastically refreshing and beautiful. I have never in my life danced away on a better "sand" floor. YOu can really get a good groove on when slipping and sliding over some soft, cool sand. The vendors were plentiful, nutritious and so very tasty. The weather couldn't have been better. The wookie ratio was kept in check, and the people there were so kind and friendly. All around a laissez faire, yet relatively clean atmosphere. Definitely kid friendly, especially around the beach/swimming area.

And the MUSIC!! So great.

I strangely went into this with high expectations for DSO due to positive reviews by others (as I had never seen them before). I wasn't really sure what to expect as the whole cover band concept can be really hit and miss (and often a miss). But these guys are fantastic musicians, and really did the songs justice. I would say that my favourite sets by DSO were the first night, and the last night (maybe I'll try and dig up some set lists later...)

The third night (although still great) was my least favourite DSO night. A little too much "space" for my liking. Having said that I know that many people thoroughly enjoyed that show, and one of the things I love most is the broad continuum of musical taste. There is something for everyone, and debating the highs and lows was one of my favourite parts of the weekend.

Morning Dew on the second night was like a blissful, peaceful lullaby for me. If I could fall asleep to that every night, I think I'd quickly forget the meaning of worry or anxiety.

If I had to give "ultimate props" to anyone in particular for the duration of the festie, it would have to be ROB FRICKEN BORRACO!!! Holy moly can that man ever tickle those ivory.

In addition to DSO, he sat in with the Tricksters, Kimock, NRPS, amongst others. HE is such a pleasure to move to, and watch. His big grin is sooo infectious. It is so apparent how much he is enjoying himself up there. Watching him just put me in a real happy place.

Aside from DSO my highlights were definitely the Greyboy Allstars (I haven't grooved that hard, in a really long time... and I love to dance...), DAMN are they good. Kimock's Zero was also fantastic. Great band. Donna and the Tricksters was a pleasant surprise. I was much more impressed with them than I was initially anticipating. They put on a fanstatic set!! There was this acoustic bluegrass band called Cornmeal that was amazing as well. I had never heard of them before, but if you ever cross their path, check them out!!

I didn't catch everything, but those were my highlights from what I did see.

Everything i saw was fantastic. The only one I was underwhelmed with was Keller Williams. He did a solo act with lots of looping effects etc. It was well executed but a little redundant for my liking. I tried to hang in there and maintain my enthusiasm, I really did. But about halfway through I opted to head back to the campsite and refuel instead. But hey, for many others that I talked to he was a highlight, so to each their own I guess. I would have much rather seen him play a bluegrass set with a full band....

Finally I have to give a big shout out to all of the people that I was camping with. Mark Tonin, thanks for talking me into going, and as always it was a pleasure being in your company. YOu are a bright spirit my friend. Mousepad and Robin and Chris, your company and hospitality couldn't have been better. I mean where else can you arrive late for a festival, have a spot reserved for you, and the ground raked and smoothed over for your tent all within the first five minutes of being there? WOw.

REALLY, REALLY wonderful to finally meet Fisty and James, Babsy Mudcock, and Mud, as well as your friends Brad and Aubre, STeve, and Chandler (if only all of you who had wanted to be there had been able to...BB you were evidently missed). You truly are amazing people, and I couldn't have asked for better company. THe late night jams around the fire were just what I needed and made me feel right at home (especially considering I was away from Todd). Thanks for all of the laughs. I really hope that you all had a safe trip home, and that we will continue to cross paths. Good people can be hard to find!

It was also a pleasure running into (and in some cases meeting for the first time) Baj, Captain, Tigger, Becky, Swifty, Jen & Kanada Kev and family. It was a real great feeling having so much Canadian representation carved out on that dancefloor.

Anyways. I'm sold. I would love to return to this festival again, and again. The MUSIC was what it was all about. Everything else was just gravy on the side.

Dark Star Orchestra set up early at Nelson Ledges and played a 1 hour soundcheck set:

The Weight, Big Iron, I'll Take a Melody, I Am the Walrus>Ohio, Watching the Wheels, Up on Cripple Creek.

This was a PERFECT way to start the fest. It sounded fantastic and it was a great set of tunes. I'd like to see DSO play some more stuff by other artists. Maybe they should do a "costume" set next year and cover an album or something.

Yup, I'd say this was the best festival I've been to! For so many different reasons - mostly the music and the company/fun around the campfire did it for me. But the swimming, general vibe/buzz in the air and food didn't hurt either.

Musically DSO kicked my ass all the time. Cornmeal was a real treat and nicest surprise of the weekend for me - thanks to Tigger and Becky for the heads up on that one.

Donna Jean and the Tricksters w/ Barraco was amazing - like you said Edger - much more than I was expecting.

It was nice to see Barraco and Donna Jean slutting themselves out to every band (I mean that in the nicest way). Barraco is so infectious!!

Was great to see some Hookah content. Katz and Jammers was good - not great though for me. One Under (with two former Hookah members) was right on the money! Too bad they only played like 4 songs.

Peter Rowan & Tony Rice Quartet - HOLY FUCK - I can't get enough of them!

NRSP - awesome - nice hearing the keys with them

Greyboy All-Stars - I wish I would have gone up sooner.

The only thing I missed that I would have liked to see was Ramblin' Jack Elliot w/ Peter Rowan and friends but there was just too much fun being had around the campfire.

Also wish I would have heard more Boris Garcia - only caught a couple of their songs but they had a great sound!

That said, it was really great seeing a bunch of new and old friends. Edger and Mousepad - was a treat getting to know you. Mr Mark - always many smiles with you - you as well Chris. Fisty and James - wonderful wonderful! TC - loved spending a week with you - still can't believe how many songs were written for you! Steve from Cleveland - you ROCK!!!!!! Jen and Swifty and kids - always a treat! Tigger and Becky - you guys are crazy fun!

Captain Sunshine and Baj - you two are great together - lots of nice energy! Sarahbelle and Hippyrastachild - love seeing your smiles! Boss and Aubre - can't say enough but those two! Robin - it was nice meeting you - thanks for the help with the car! Yellana (sp?) - it was really nice meeting you as well! Hope I didn't miss anybody - Oh kanada kev - nice to meet you briefly as well!

Backbacon - sure wish you were there!! Biggest disappointment of the weekend for sure! Hope you had fun at the wedding though!

Edited by Guest

Ah yes. I knew I'd end up forgetting some important mentionables.

Rowan and Rice quartet was DEFINITELY a highlight for me as well... don't know how I forgot that one. And NRPS was a great revolving jam of guest artists. The keys and accordian combo was great.

Soooo sorry for not mentioning Sarahbelle and Hippyrastachild earlier as well. You ladies always bring a smile to my face, and we spent many hours dancing the days away. Thanks for all of your sunshine. Oh, and Lauren, your glasses were priceless...

I'm sick of being back at work already. So fuck it, i'm gonna write a few things about the amazing week we had at Gratefulfest :)

Baj, thanks so much for steering me towards this festival so many months ago. It was a great choice and one that we will return to for sure.

Arriving at this festival just a little bit early really does help a lot. I'm glad we got there on the Tuesday before dark. I was amazed at how many people were already there. Nelson Ledges is well run and they seemed to have a very tuned system on how to deal with things ... and they stuck to it. Arriving early also allows you to enjoy a killer soundcheck/set by DSO as well that was a major highlight and a perfect kick-off.

After spending a day packing the RV we hit the road and enjoyed a relaxing ride to Ohio. It's an easy drive. The border crossing was a joke. I couldn't believe that they didn't want to at least get on board the RV to take a look around, but they just welcomed us in and wished us a fun time. My buddy Bryn had no worries either as he was following us in his car (since he would have to leave the festival early to get back for a wedding).

We got some good advice from a local on where to go to get any camping supplies, food, etc. which was in Middlefield, about 30mins from Nelson Ledges. With the RV, you can't really make trips in and out of the campsite :)

Once in the park, they sent us to a clearing in the woods that was pretty far back. It was perfect, other than the long distance from the concert/beach area. We had great neighbours where we set up. Once group from Chicago who had KILLER baked goods that they were more than happy to supply me with for the duration and some very sweet organics too (fertilizers from Holland are his biz ). They had a few cute little kids for our Jack and Cassidy to play with. They got along gloriously.

I was amazed at the camping they had there. It is almost all nestled into the woods. Every where you looked were funky camp setups and people having good times. It's all under a great canopy of trees which provided for a perfect temperature regulator. Nothing worse than waking up at 7am in a sun-baked tent and not being able to cool down.

You get down around the concert area and they have 2 stages set up. All you had to do was turn around when the acts changed. They had it synchronized very well and there seemed to always be somebody performing. This is all with in ear-shot and eye-view from the BEACH. Oh man, that is where we spent most of our days. Cold drinks, hot sun, cool water, sweet tunes, good people ... who said the ticket wasn't worth it???

Since we had a fairly long "commute" from our camp to the show we did our best to try to plan it around certain acts and to get in as much as we could with the kids. Couldn't see it all, but got to see a LOT. Most people have mentioned their musical highlights and I must agree with most of them. For me they were:

Greyboy Allstars! RIGHT ON. The only thing better would have been if they could stick around and done a nightime set later on :)

Cormeal! Where the fukc did these guys come from? They were an absolute blast. Tons of energy and fun players.

The New Mastersounds! UK Funk. They did a set in between DSO sets one night. We were in a grassy area at the side of the stage and got down for their whole set as they were just feet away from us. My kids LOVED them. We all groved together and life was absolutely perfect. That was what it is all about IMHO. Gotta catch these guys again. If you like The New Deal, you'll love these guys. A bit more on the funk side than the techno. Perfect balance.

Peter Rowan and Tony Rice Quartet! WOW. Again, I finally get to see somebody i've wanted to see for ages. Tony looked like a pasty faced corpse up there, but DAMN does he come to life through those fingers as he's picking that guitar. The two women playing with them are a treat as well. I'd really like to track down some more of their stuff.

Steve Kimock & Zero! Sweet. Kimock is so amazing to watch and the infectious riffs that dance off that fretboard are so soothing to the soul. I could sit and chill to Kimock for hours.

Keller! I completely understand how his schtick can get a little "old" but I hadn't seen him since i did a couple of shows on the Big Summer Classic tour. He is a lot of FUN as well as being very talented. His performance of Doobie In My Pocket had me in stitches. What a riot. I did get a chance to say hi to his soundman Lou Gossain just prior to his set. He's an awesome guy who I partied with a couple of times.

And of course, DSO. There's something magical about the sounds of the Grateful Dead pouring through the woods in the summertime. My oh my.

It was great to see everyone from the list here too. I was juggling the family duties and all, so I tried to hang out in Wonderland a couple of nights. Great central location which drew in a wild bunch of festival goers :) I was able to meet up with Skanks at the beach, at the stage, in the woods, on the road, etc. I know I won't remember them ALL, please forgive me if I forget ... thanks for all being a part of my Gratefulfest: Baj, Tara, Rich, Scott, Becky, Mark, Sara, Sarahbelle, Lauren, Mousepad, .... ok my brain is mush from last week and I can't think now so thanks again to everyone who was a part of this trip. Wouldn't have been the same without all'y'all.

This festival is IT. I'm tellin' ya. You get a beautiful campground/park, amazing swimming, cliff jumping, hiking trails, beach, skydivers, burning men, FIREWORKS, yummy food, vending, etc. etc. AND who can forget the Forest DISCO!!!! Seriously, in the middle of the woods you come across a dance area with full on sound system, lighting, disco ball, mini bar ... what a trip!

I'm bummed i didn't get pictures of everyone as I wanted to, but i did get a bunch that i'll try to post tonight when I get home ... that time is NOW.

Thanks again everyone and Gratefulfest '07 :)

yeah man.. I agree..

It was OVERWHELMINGLY great!! the music was amazing!!!! Some Highlights for me where DSO...they are sooo wicked! soo bang on.

Keller Williams..love him, his set was awesome.

Jerry Garcia band..so funky and wicked

Cornmeal...sooo fun and I Loved thier acositc set with everyone crowded around one microphone

Boombox..they are my new favourite band

New Riders of the Purple Sage..they are sooo great and I have a soft spot for them cause they played in hamilton

Greyboy Allstars..soo wicked, Pnuma Trio..wicked funk!!

Seeing Donna Jean...I know not everyone likes her but I was pretty stoked she was there

Other highlights...Buzz Coffee..8 bucks for all U can drink coffee all day

Ganga Ice Cream!! ooh yeah.

Cliff Jumping!

Firepoi! they had TONS of fire spinners going all night..

Hanging out with all the Canadians and meeting new pepople...

it was just so fun..!!!!!!