Jambands.ca

Grateful Fest 8

afro poppa

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t give a flying fuck what anyone has to say about me, especially a balding William Hurt look-alike, but I got to say if I can save one stupid hippie and convert him/her from their hypocritical ways, than my work here is done.

How can 15 thousand of ANYTHING be good, except for the tripped out dumb fucks watching the pretty colors? You are probably the same people screaming at Harper to ratify Kyoto. That is the epitome of selfishness in my eyes.

"Hey, lets go down to Parliament Hill today for the 420 protest at 4:20."

"What are we protesting?"

"How cares! Lets go get stoned......."

It's not the festival doing it, it's the people that bring the glowsticks in.. At Labor Day when we had 3,000, the festival staff kindly asked us to clean up after ourselves.. Which we did.

Each morning with a wagon full of bloody marys, we scoured the entire grounds handing out drinks to anyone kind enough to help pick garbage (not just glowsticks) off the ground. We ended up having about 20 or more people help out each morning..

So don't blame the festival.. Blame the fun-loving glowstick artists like my friends who were generously giving out the glowsticks to any kid or grown-up who wanted..

The glowstick forest (aka Mars) is one of the many amazing, unique wonders of this fantabulous festival, along with the many generous, helpful, and fun people that make Gratefulfest amazing!

It's not that I'm looking to assign blame to, for example, the festival. Even if you pick up all the glowsticks you toss they still have to go into the garbage somewhere on this planet. That's my point.

My bad for assuming hippies were pretty tight with the environmental movement.

I don’t give a flying fuck what anyone has to say about me, especially a balding William Hurt look-alike, but I got to say if I can save one stupid hippie and convert him/her from their hypocritical ways, than my work here is done.

How can 15 thousand of ANYTHING be good, except for the tripped out dumb fucks watching the pretty colors? You are probably the same people screaming at Harper to ratify Kyoto. That is the epitome of selfishness in my eyes.

"Hey, lets go down to Parliament Hill today for the 420 protest at 4:20."

"What are we protesting?"

"How cares! Lets go get stoned......."

i would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

glowsticks are a personal pet peeve.

wikipedia says the following about the chemistry of glowsticks.

By mixing the peroxide with the phenyl oxalate ester, a chemical reaction takes place; the ester is oxidized, yielding two molecules of phenol and one molecule of peroxyacid ester. The peroxyacid decomposes spontaneously to carbon dioxide, releasing energy that excites the dye, which then deexcites by releasing a photon.

so the peroxyacid ester decomposes to CO2, but no mention is made of the phenol, or the plastic tube for that matter.

please do your planet a favour and stop buying these things.

I'm not the one planning to throw 25,000 tubes of plastic into the garbage. I'm seriously not trying to be a dick, would just like someone to address my point. Is it not valid?

I think it's valid, especially since the Earth Day just passed on April 22. What about all the other recyclable materials at this fest. Will this material find its way into a garbage dump too? I think so.

ollie your point is very valid and to be honest i never really thought about the enviromental ramifications of glowsticks before...

I didn't either until I saw the possible number of them... 25,000. Environmentalism is about more than just pointing fingers at SUVs. We ALL need to consider the impact we have and do everything we can to make it as minimal as possible. It's just common sense.

I appreciate the efforts of captainsunshine and her friends for trying to spread good cheer. But we can certainly all benefit from giving a second thought to the impacts of our habitual practices (whatever they may be).

I think Ollie and Booche have raised great points (perhaps if some didn't "get the vibe" that their very character was also under attack then they may be more a little more receptive to your valid underlying message).

I myself am not a fan of glowsticks. They distract me.

I think Ollie and Booche have raised great points (perhaps if some didn't "get the vibe" that their very character was also under attack then they may be more a little more receptive to your valid underlying message).

No character attack intended on my part. Just trying to extend some of that good cheer to the earth. :cool: