Jambands.ca

Possible Means of Effectively Resisting Gas Price Hikes

StoneMtn

First, I want to say that in some ways I am pleased that gas prices have gone as crazy as they have. This will cause people (hopefully) to start purchasing more environmentally sound vehicles, or even drive less when it is not necessary. In turn, I suspect this will change the auto industry, and further and better enviro-vehicles will be developed. Perhaps one day we will even drive a completely new type of vehicle that doesn't consume gas at all.

Now, that being said, I am also not pleased that the oil companies are the only winners in this situation, so far, by raking in record profits due to price-hikes.

Here's a possible solution, but it will require some good participation across the country...

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It

came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It's

worthy of our consideration.

Join the resistance! I hear we are going to hit close to $1.50 a litre by summer and it might possibly go higher! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around earlier! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really

work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $.79/litre is super cheap. Me too! It is currently

$1.10 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the

OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre of gas is

CHEAP at $.79 - $.99, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline

going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting

ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

Starting June 1 of 2007 DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the biggest Company in Canada. Petro Canada ! If they are not selling any gas, they will be very quickly inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. Think about this. Petro Canada has 1500 retail locations and the entire country consumes 68 million gallons a day. Yes per day. And Petro Canada is Canada's largest gasoline retailer, the doesn't it make sense that the consumer can bring this giant to its knees and force them to lower their prices.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Petro Canada

gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this point....

keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people.

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us sends it to at least ten

more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300x10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three

million pass it on to ten friends each, then 30 million people!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you

don't understand how we can reach 30 million and all you have to do is send

this to 10 people....How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 30 MILLION people could conceivably see this within the next 8 days!!!

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please

pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from Petro Canada UNTIL THEY

LOWER THEIR PRICES TO A REASONABLE PRICE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

i think that this is a great idea...i personally don't ever buy gas at petro can so this will be easy for me.

i think one other step should be taken. print out a form letter stating your name, town and why you are not buying gas from petro can. to start a price war. maybe even update it once in awhile with approx how much money you've spent on gas that wasn't at any of their stations. i think that the further communication may drive the message home faster than a slowly decresing bottom line. when you pas a station and you've got 2 extra minutes in your day, drop off a letter.

say we call the Conservatives on their uber green ways and get hydrogen powered public transit in all the major centers

take it a little further by providing the kind that runs until at least a half hour after all the bars let out... "last call" shuttles running from entertainment districts to all the significant suburbs... shuttles running to and from manufacturing and business districts... if businesses run 24 hours, then so should public transit

Things that make you go "hmmm":

That article states that Petro Canada is the "biggest company in Canada" with 1500 stations. (I'm assuming that they mean biggest gas retailer)

However some quick googling showed me that Imperial Oil is this country's largest gas retailer with 3100 stations.

Also, there's a huge error in the writer's logic in the sending the article to 10 people each, saying it will reach 30 million people. What if some people send it to the same people as others?

Thirdly, the article talks about litres but all of the sudden switches to gallons when talking about the country's consumption. Leads me to believe that the writer pulled the numbers out of his ass.

Hey, maybe I should work for snopes!

Edited by Guest

With the price of gasoline up over 40% since the beginning of the year, many people are trying to find new ways to save money at the pump.

While many of these ideas are useful and worth the extra effort - i.e. adjusting your commuting time, cleaning out your car’s trunk, turning off your car at long stop lights - many driving habits that people think will help them save gas or money are actually causing them to waste both.

So on that note, here are the top four ways people think they’re saving money and/or gas when they’re actually not:

-Driving across town to save a nickel on a gallon of gas. With gas prices at record highs, many people are doing everything they can to reduce the amount of money they spend at the pump. One of the more popular ways people are doing this is by using sites like Gasbuddy.com to find the cheapest gas stations in their zip code. Unfortunately, many of these same people are driving long distances to save a couple of pennies on a gallon of gas - meaning they’re probably burning up the amount of money they save by using extra gas to go to an out of the way station.

-Driving on the highway with their windows down to avoid using the air conditioner. We’ve become accustomed to thinking that our car’s AC is the biggest drain on our car’s gas mileage. While using it will reduce your gas mileage, there are many instances where using your AC instead of rolling down the windows will actually be better for your car’s gas mileage. One of the biggest drains on your car’s gas mileage is aerodynamic drag - something that is exacerbated by rolling down the windows. If you’re going to drive on the highway, go ahead and turn on your AC and keep the windows up!

-Driving with their truck’s tailgate down. Many people believe that driving with their truck’s tailgate down will improve gas mileage. Unfortunately, the opposite is actually true. When a truck’s tailgate is up, a “protective air bubble†will form in the bed area which actually makes the truck a little more aerodynamic; when the tailgate is down, this bubble disappears and gas mileage gets worse.

-Accelerating extremely slowly. Many people think that the slower they accelerate, the better gas mileage they’re going to get. Unfortunately, extremely slow acceleration can bog down your engine and make it run less efficiently - thus wasting fuel. So, instead of slamming the accelerator to the floor or barely even touching it, try and find a nice happy medium so you can achieve a moderate acceleration.

So, if you’ve been doing the aforementioned items, I certainly can’t fault you for trying to save gas and money, however, there’s a reason why you haven’t seen much of a savings - these ideas just don’t work.

I guess only one of you stoners read the Snopes link eh.

LOL ... it's been fun following this one to see if anyone would actually check out the link without the article being copied into the post :)

It's a US based email where somebody in Canada got "clever" and changed the names of those involved in the email.

Snopes is one of the most important resources on the interweb, imho.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

Edited by Guest

if everyone stopped buying gas from petro canada, do you think it would cause the pirce of gas at esso and other station to rise?

when there was the big gas shortage and all the esso's were out of gas, the other stations had a really hard time staying stocked on gas, because all the petro can, buys were going there. It made the other staions run out of gas much faster, and caused then to raise the prices way up

i'm gonna stick your smart car in the back of my hummer, and then fill my car with th emost ezpensice gas i can find, then leave it running out side a store all day.

on the plus side i took my hummer into the shop today and they gave me a huge gmc yukon fo a loaner, now that thing is bad on gas