Jambands.ca

Johnny Cash Dead At 71

Jaimoe

Rest in peace Man In Black.

You will always be a legend and a musical treasure.

There will never be anyone as cool as Johnny Cash.

Country, folk, gospel and rock and roll music would have sounded so uninspired and dull without your influence and creativity.

The outright love you had for your wife June could be heard in every note you created.

Words can't describe the way I feel right now, so I'll stop writing. But before I go, I'd like to thank you John Cash. I will never stop playing your records and I know your music will always inspire me to be better songwriter and hopefully an even better person.

Rest in peace Man In Black. You are the coolest.

a day filled with sorrow indeed. [Frown]

Like it has been said he is making music with June again. She has always been his true salvation.

I'm sure Johnny has also found Waylon and the outlaws are kicking up a strom.

His one of a kind voice and masterful lyrics will live in many hearts and inspire generations

Hi Folks,

Sometimes when I'm standing at that microphone singin'

I feel like I could touch all of you

I can't see many of your faces with that spotlight in my eyes

But I can feel you out there.

Performing is communicating

And I feel so good

When I'm performing a song that your enjoyin'

I feel it

It's like we are all holdin' hands

Or maybe huggin' up a little bit

I've been writin' songs as long as I can remember

And I guess I always will write songs

"Cause I can say things in a song

That I don't know any other way to say

Or maybe sometimes I can get away with otherwise

Anyway, we try top give you everything we have in a concert

A slice of life

A few highs and a few lows

We sing it the way we feel it

We tell it the way we know it

We share things with you

That we think you feel

It's a supernatural positive force behind it all

He is part of it

We hope it makes you feel better

"Cause it sure makes us feel better

Doin' what we love to do

JRC

-

RIP Johnny Cash, you're forever in our hearts and minds.

Nonononono!!!! I just rediscovered the Live at Folsom Prison record and I've been playing it nonstop for almost a week. Got me to thinking why I've never seen him in concert, and that I'd better get my ass out there and...

Dammit.

One time he was supposed to come to Barrymore's and do a benefit show for the natives at Oka, and my band got the opening slot. I was pretty excited (the band did a neat cover of Folsom Prison mixed with the Sesame Street theme) but the show got cancelled because a lot of people had a problem with JC helping the rebelious Indians.

Dammit.

Sigh, I'm gonna call my dad.

On transcending musical pigeonholing:

"I never did like musical bags or categories, you know? We busted out on our own at Sun Records with our long hair and sideburns and black clothes, and they called us every name under the sun, from rockabillies to white niggers."

-Johnny Cash

Wow. I am deeply saddened. I was up north at the time with my father who incidentally introduced me to Johnny Cash when I was too young to remember. I had the truck backed up and was trying to find music that my father would appreciate. I came across one of my Johnny Cash CD's and threw it on. My father lit up: "This is music; this is songwriting," he exclaimed. "Why does no one write songs like this anymore?" I simply replied, "No one is Johnny Cash dad, that's why." We listened to all the Johnny Cash CD's that I had with me that night (Monday). We drank copious amounts of wine and talked about Johnny, and June's recent passing, and their love. I commented that I didn't know how Johnny was going to last without June. Last night SevenSeasJim joined Leanne and I at the trailer (my father had left) and told us the news. We all, without hesitation, raised our glasses and toasted his life. I think I saw a few tears around the table; I know I had a few in the corners of my eyes.

Good-bye Johnny. Thank you for all the memories, from childhood to present. You will forever be apart of my musical tastes and I will always take joy in introducing your music to new people; be they my friends or my children when I have them.

Rest in peace. I know you deserve it.

Archived