Jambands.ca

QOTD: First Concerts

djmelbatoast

I went to The Stones "Steel Wheels" tour at the CNE that same summer. Another great show. Bill Wyamn still looked like a man back then.

I thought that show sucked...I've never gone to see The Stones again.

My first big show would have been Rod Stewart w/ The Eurythmics opening at the CNE in 1984.

Rod kicked soccer balls into the audience during the show...I didn't get one :(

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kool and the gang..at the ex at landsdowne (sp?) with my parents. all i remember is when the sang celebration and the concrete was shaking up and down.

weird al hit on my friend kim after a show in london ontario. he gave her back stage passes the night before after meeting her at a pool hall. he subsequently phoned her from california aking if she wanted to move down south with him. :)

I loved the Stones show. Man, Keith ripped it up.

Me too. I worked at the EX that summer (hell) but got into the first show dirt cheap about 40 rows back. Then, the next night scored some tix through a connection of my Dad's (front row and 8th row). Hung out for the opening few songs in the front row. PYRO is RIGHT! Fuck, the heat that came off of those things was almost scary and I was blinded for most of the song :P I then proceeded to hang in the 8th row seats and party my face off :)

first REAL show was AC/DC, march 23rd 1996, and it owned my fucking face!!! i skipped out on a family trip to florida w/ my dad and his wife et al, AND it was my mom's birthday, had to skip that, too, but we got some quality time in the car as she drove us to the show. fuckin' eh, mom!

i remember the opening like it was yesterday - it was the ballbreaker tour, so the big ball comes down and smashes the shit out of everything, then angus comes running out of the ball as it breaks up and launches into back in black. crowd goes wild. actually, it was all angus all night, runnin' around screechin' his guitar on all kinds of steel shit causin' sparks, goin through the crowd on brian's shoulders, dancin' all over the stage, he was simply incredible to watch. i remember the hells bells vividly, with brian smashing the huge bell, and the closer, for those about to rock, and all the cannons going off. wow. that was a bloody concert!

i also saw weird al prior to that, but it wasnt what i'd really call a concert. it was almost too cheesy for that.

Edited by Guest

Does Beatlemania at Hamilton Place in 81 count or Blue Peter in the gym at Highland Secondary in 82 or 83. If not it would have been Aztec Camera at the Concert Hall in 85.

I was there dude. I remember the posters around our school very well.

I think yes to all three' date=' but Beatlemania may fall under "theatrical".

I saw The Hip back in 86 (or was it 87) at my highschool before their first EP dropped (1987). They did originals and a number of Doors tunes. Good show.

[/quote']

My first show was actually Gawain at Kingston Memorial Center in the summer between grade eight and nine. In grade 10, I was at the Tragically Hip show at Frontenac Highschool. I was just into the Beatles big time, and the only song I knew that they played was a Beatles cover (to me at the time) MONEY. It was AWESOME!

after that, the Hip became part of regular listening throughout highschool. not because of the show, but because of road apples. I think Up To Hear was fun, but Road Apples became a staple at all the bush parties.

Hmmm. I remember seeing that Cure/LaR/Pixies show too. But I think it was at Lansdowne in Ottawa for Canada Day. I believe they shared the stage with the Hip, Billy Idol and some band from the NWT. Then again, I could be confusing a few shows together.

First show was the Clash - Combat Rock tour 1983. I saw Billy Idol a month later with Honeymoon Suite opening (yup - they sucked even to my 10yr old ears).

1) first concert accompanied by an older family member:

-Michael Jackson's Jackson 5 Reunion (sponsored by Pepsi) @ the CNE in 1984-5; my big Bro took me when I was 6; we bought tix in a sketchy dark alley from scalpers; during the whole show I'm telling these obnoxious girls surrounding me to stop screaming.

2) first concert on my own with friends

-"Clash of the Titans" : Slayer+Megadeth+Anthrax with Alice in Chains opening up (and getting booed off) @ CNE in 1991