Jambands.ca

wtf is wrong with people?

bONES

i have to take the bus next weekend....

and i'm seriously considering take the train.

i know it sounds stupid...

but i will be tense the entire time if i'm on that greyhound....not so much because i fear for my life... but I just don't want to be in that environment...thinking about nothing but this Mclean kid and what he went through.

i am going to take the train.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's this new Febreeze TV commercial I saw which took place on a greyhound like bus. It's like a sticky wall freshener... and the woman puts it on the window and everyone gets all happy... they pan back through the aisle and zoom past the bus driver, and they're all happy! mmmm smells...

But the first thing I thought when I saw it on the bus was: Awkward...

Never seen it before too, which I thought was odd... can't remember the channel, it was probably showcase...

Febreeze is probably aware of the principles brought forward by this book:

SD_071001120057861_wideweb__300x453.jpg

What confuses me is how he got to saw the guy's head off and nobody did anything to stop him.

That's what I thought about a lot, too, when I first heard this story. But with no time to organize, and everyone in an absolute panic, it isn't really a straight-forward matter to try to take down an emotionless psychopath wielding a knife. Certainly there were enough people to stop him, but the environment wouldn't have been conducive to organizing an approach. Probably a good social experiment to be made there.

And as meggo pointed out, when I was considering out loud what I think - if it came down to brass tacks - I would do in a situation like that: "by the time you knew what was happening, the guy was already stabbed enough that he'd die before [medical] help could get there" (or something like that).

when a person has absolutely no regard for human life, there is no saving or rehibilatation for that wretched excuse for a man

Maybe true, but for better or worse, we gave up on the idea of rehabilitation a long time ago. If there is no point attempting it, there is no point driving ourselves crazy over who could or couldn't actually be rehabilitated. Incarceration at this point is about a) maintaining public safety and B) 'punishment'. Lifetime incarceration meets the criteria of a and b, costs less, and is less hypocritical. But that's a giant can of worms. Would that (a) and (B) would be (B) and © and (a) would actually be 'understanding and healing' or at least a valiant attempt at such. But it ain't.

Fucking ghastly story. Gives me the heebie jeebies all over the place.

So, I'm coming back on th GO train from Ajax to Toronto today and some little shit about 20yrs old who was all tweaked-out, running around the train car, lights a smoke in the doorway right beside me as we're at a quick stop...Danforth I believe...I asked the kid, actually pretty nicely if he'd mind actually smoking outside...this little fuck pulls out a knife and questions "want your head cut-off?" There was one other young girl on that train level with me...

I was behind my bike (I use it to get around to where I'm going all the time) and that was the first thing the kid got hit with...the rest is a blur of anger but I can pretty safely say he's got a broken arm, elbow, knee-cap, leg, and most of his face...

The girl ran to find some train authority and by the time we get to the Union Station (the next coming stop, and mine), the cops are waiting for the kid and asking me some questions...the cops were really nice, told me I might have went a little too far but completely understood and told me I could be on my way...

INDEED WTF is wrong with people?

Gawpo Giggles :D:D:D

Just a note on this as I don't want to seem too crazy and last night I was still jumping inside from the whole thing...

So firstly, I have been "knifed" in Toronto once before; got a 7inch scare on the inside of my leg to show for it...

BUT...

I've really been unable to get this poor Tim fella out of my head...so much of me is thinking about this poor guys family...how is it even possible they could deal with something like this?

How is possible that a new immigrant to this Country isn't screened for psych problems? Is it possible that the Winnipeg water messed this guy up so bad he needed brutally murder, gut, decapitate someone as well as eat some of them? I doubt it!

The killer was 5'8", how was this poor Tim kid not helped...anything, blocking the knife with suitcases, dousing the guy with the fire extinguisher, or using the fire extinguisher, or I think the greyhound even has a damn axe on board...anything? Nothing? But, it is a horrible situation to think about and I certainly wouldn't blame or point fingers (besides at Li) at the outcome of something like this...

I'm even reading more about this horrible story on the damn "GO T.V" as I'm on the bus and this little prick; with a brutal grin on his face says this to me??!!??

I've been trained in Combat Sambo and Systema for several years now and my brother was a national Ninjitsu champion growing up. I'm also 6'3" and close to 240lbs. As you can note from my earlier posting of the injuries to the kid, you will notice nothing was near vital organs or such...limbs, joints and the face...

I felt bad, because in all honesty I certainly overdid it...but sooooo much was running in my head about this poor Tim and this little punk just had too much "cocky, prick, smirk", almost joking behavior to his comment and he certainly suffered the worst for his attitude...

So, I'm coming back on th GO train from Ajax to Toronto today and some little shit about 20yrs old who was all tweaked-out, running around the train car, lights a smoke in the doorway right beside me as we're at a quick stop...Danforth I believe...I asked the kid, actually pretty nicely if he'd mind actually smoking outside...this little fuck pulls out a knife and questions "want your head cut-off?" There was one other young girl on that train level with me...

I was behind my bike (I use it to get around to where I'm going all the time) and that was the first thing the kid got hit with...the rest is a blur of anger but I can pretty safely say he's got a broken arm, elbow, knee-cap, leg, and most of his face...

The girl ran to find some train authority and by the time we get to the Union Station (the next coming stop, and mine), the cops are waiting for the kid and asking me some questions...the cops were really nice, told me I might have went a little too far but completely understood and told me I could be on my way...

INDEED WTF is wrong with people?

all that hockey training finally came in handy ;)

atta boy. you're going to have to change your avatar one day to a Hanson bro.

hansons45.jpg

sorry If I upset people with my comments, I used to be so much more idealistic but as I get older I just don't know...... there isn't help for everyone unfortunately. sociopaths can't be fixed can they? so whats the point? interesting research? I don't need to know. cold I know, but thats how I feel.

p.s. I love slapshot

Edited by Guest

I have to say, in a way, the PETA thing bothers me more.

Life has always held totally random, aberrant moments..and our lives can get so comfortable they seem even more extreme.It 's one thing for something totally random to happen..its another for a group of people to consciously manipulate the emotional trauma that randomness causes to their own purposes.

I can't imagine the anguish Tim's family is going through...or his own in those last fleeting moments when he realized his life was being stolen.

Did anyone else hear the culprit in the Greyhound case asked the judge to kill him?

... group of people to consciously manipulate the emotional trauma that randomness causes to their own purposes.

but it's not for "their own purposes", allison. it for the purpose of agressively provoking discussion and saving innocent animals from being slaughtered. (as they would say)

As for the inevitable call for capital punishment - c'mon, we're above that. We know that murder is murder regardless of who makes the call, and state-sponsored murder is especially insidious and often media-driven. Plus we all learned that two wrongs don't make a right.

As for people getting freaked out riding the bus - seriously there's no way this will create copycats. To think that somebody will hear this story and think, "Hey, neat idea, I think I'll try that," strikes me as absurd.

Finally, as to why people didn't come to the young man's rescue, I can only assume that by the time people realised what was going on I bet the average person would think it was too late to help but not to late to save themselves and those around them from a murderous rampage.

This was a horrible event caused by someone who is obviously very sick. It makes me wonder why a case like this would require a psychiatric evaluation. Doesn't the act itself prove that the perp is unstable to say the least? How could a psychiatrist come forward and say, "After an evaluation I find this person was completely sane when he randomly sawed off the head of a man on a bus."

This was a horrible event caused by someone who is obviously very sick. It makes me wonder why a case like this would require a psychiatric evaluation. Doesn't the act itself prove that the perp is unstable to say the least? How could a psychiatrist come forward and say, "After an evaluation I find this person was completely sane when he randomly sawed off the head of a man on a bus."

I wonder if the psychiatric evaluation isn't so much to determine his state of mind at the time of the killing, but whether he's competent to stand trial now.

Aloha,

Brad

I wonder if the psychiatric evaluation isn't so much to determine his state of mind at the time of the killing, but whether he's competent to stand trial now.

From my understanding of the news stories, that is exactly what the evaluation is for.