• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feds fast-tracking 'essential service' tag for transit

Designation would force striking drivers, mechanics back to work

By KENNETH JACKSON, Sun Media

Union members adamant strike to continue

Voting day Thursday

If striking OC Transpo employees reject the city’s offer they could still end up going back to work if the federal government declares public transit to be an essential service.

It’s a decision being fast-tracked by the Canada Industrial Relations Board, according to spokeswoman Sylvie Riverin.

“Oh yes. That is for sure,†she said Monday. “That is why we have a public notice. We’re trying to find a more efficient way to deal with matter.â€

Riverin was referring to advertisements taken out in newspapers Monday advising the public, union and city to submit their written arguments by Friday.

The move comes after Labour Minister Rona Ambrose forced the union members to vote on the city’s offer, which is to be held Thursday. She also asked the industrial relations board to look into making OC Transpo an essential service.

There’s an online petition supporting the move circulating with close to 700 signatures.

City Council will meet WEDNESDAY to discuss their next move. Nice to see they're serious about things, lazy fucks.

Boy, what a fabulous job Larry O'Brien is doing running our city. Is this really the way he thinks that a "business" should be run.

like, um....why cant't they meet today? then again O'Brien is not personally affected by the strike. he can easily walk to work every day.

Imagine what the city would be like if Alex Munter had won the election. I can't imagine that we'd be in this mess.

O'Brien is indeed a douche and a failure, but he's just one councillor out of many. He's the mouthpiece, but the Council as a whole is of the same mind on this issue, according to them (now that Doucet has been muzzled).

People get the government they deserve. Why people don't want to work together instead of protecting their own privilege is beyond me.

I read today the city is saving $400,000 a day because of the strike... no wonder they want to wait another week.

Instead of people taking to the streets to protest the 'process'... both sides are fucked IMO... they're probably just going to take it out on the drivers when they do get back to work.

Fugly.

Interesting article as it shows another view to the situation...also interesting to see that not a single comment was in support of the strike but who's to say what comments are getting posted and what ones are getting flagged...

With Flaherty's latest announcement that there will be huge numbers of jobs lost this year in Canada, it's not an oppurtune time for any union to strike as public support will be minimal, if at all...

i heard similar comments on the CBC call-in this afternoon - i.e. that given all the upcoming job losses they should be happy to just have a job. but that's not really fair IMHO. this union has it's own specific issues. and these negotiations should have started a long time ago.

the city decided to actually meet today. the mayor on OC transpo are expected to make an announcement later today.

I'm two weeks away from losing my grad applications and my year (I'm 'only' in my honours year and I'm commuting from London), I wish I was experiencing a transit strike... not to belittle the problems of about what, a million in the Ottawa area? They both suck but from some perspectives I assume they must seem necessary. I hope one day to be a grad student benefitting from the strikers work in ensuring greater pay, benefts and contract possibilities. It's hard for me to root against the TA's and other contract employees, but I need a settlement, and a confession that my posts became much more ridiculous after I had nothing to do for school in the foreseeable future.

is foreseeable a word?

It only gets worse...

Edited by Guest

I can't believe the greed of the TAs at York. What planet are they on?!?

Toronto Star: "While York's teaching assistants are believed to be the highest paid in Canada – at about $17,386 a year for roughly 10 hours of teaching a week – union officials said their wages still fall below the poverty line. "There is no percentage in being the highest paid workers in a poorly paid sector," said teaching assistant Punam Khosla."

$33/hour isn't too bad for a student.