Jambands.ca

Bluesfest tonight

phorbesie

I'm going to try to make it down for John Vanderslice at 4:15 on the Hard Rock stage. I've never heard him but Randy gave him a strong recommendation.

I'm also interested in seeing The Church at 7:15 on the Subway stage.

And I guess I'll have to check out Matisyahu if I make it that late. Damn, I thought I was going to have an early night. ;)

I heard some vanderslice at Randy's last weekend. It is really good stuff. My plan was to catch that. I never reallly like Matisyahoooo so I probably won't catch that.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/2526397

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee Scratch Perry is playing on the York Street Stage tonight. I've heard mixed reviews of his live performances but I have to see for myself. His influence in the world of dub and reggae can't be overstated, and he has provided my ears with countless hours of pure 420 bliss over the years. I really love what he does, and am excited to see him tonight, regardless of the weather.

The sad bit is having to miss Ornette Coleman in order to see Scratch.

Wow I'm so happy that Okkervil got some new fans last night. They put on one hell of a rocking show and they deserve the love.

The setlist was phenomenal, I can't remember the exact order but here is what was played.

Pop Lie

The Latest Toughs

A Girl in Port

Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe

John Allyn Smith Sails

For Real

Singer Songwriter

Lost Coastlines

Westfall (AMAZING!)

Unless It's Kicks

A Girl In Port

I kinda made a drunken fan boy fool of myself at the autograph tent but I think the band found it amusing lol

This was the highlight of the fest for me, everything else is just gravy. Fuck I love Bluesfest!

I just love this festival. What a week so far and its only been 4 days......and in that short time I've been lucky enough to see:

Blue King Brown

Black Keys

Jeff Beck

Sargeant Garcia

Sista Monica

Ben Harper

Metric

Iron and Wine

The Roadhammers

Steve Earle

Jackson Browne

Okkervil River

Devotchka

The Church

Hey Rosetta!

Brian Setzer

Hubert Sumlin

Jesse Cook

FEMI KUTI

Matisyahu

So far ORiver, Steve Earle and Iron and Wine were my fav acts. Best song so far is still stuck in my head from Friday (Westfall- ORiver) and the best cover is a tie between Beck ADITL and Sista Monicas version of Soulshine.....

Gotta mention just how good Matisyahu was last night. I've seen him before but his new band is pretty wicked and this was much more interesting than gigs past.

What you got last night was Scratch mumbling and ranting backed by Ottawa's own Ras Lee and Roots Movement. I was surprised he didn't have his own band.

It was pretty weak, but I still had a good time. There was a good group of friends out and the Dominion was right there for after the show.

USW was a bit more country than i bargained for...and i couldn't understand a single lyric, was she singing in english or another language?

i too was bored with the few lee perry songs i saw but i had some good sushi :)

i split my time between femi kuti, matisayu and brian setzer. all good stuff!

went late night at fat tuesday's again, good times. (this bar was oddly charging cover last night on top of bluesfest late night bracelet?!)

USW was a bit more country than i bargained for...and i couldn't understand a single lyric, was she singing in english or another language?

i too was bored with the few lee perry songs i saw but i had some good sushi :)

i split my time between femi kuti, matisayu and brian setzer. all good stuff!

went late night at fat tuesday's again, good times. (this bar was oddly charging cover last night on top of bluesfest late night bracelet?!)

She has a super weak voice. English but very hard to hear. I'm more of a Gern fan myself.