Jambands.ca

Bluesfest tonight

phorbesie

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reasons why the P-Funk empire fell in the early 80s was due to egos and such and I'm guessing that there are a bunch of guys who would just rather not have anything to do with each other any more.

"They say the bigger the headie, the bigger the pill"

I really enjoyed Iron and Wine last night but all the chatty people at the front can go straight to hell.

Very young crowd last night, bit of a sketchfest I thought. KISS is going to be messy.

That crowd was unbelievably chatty at Iron and Wine- which really took away from the show. We kept moving, but everyone seemed to be talking. His analogy about the Escalade with the thumping music, pulling up next to the car having a quiet chat was bang-on, the music from other stages was adding to the distraction.

Also, is it just me or is there a dramatic increase in drunk douchebags this year? You know the ones who are double fisting beers and chanting college slogans, huddling together and dancing some kind of east coast jig at the expense of everyone nearby. Just an observation, and maybe its just the luck of where I've been standing.

on a posetive note: Oumou Sangare was awesome!

Also, is it just me or is there a dramatic increase in drunk douchebags this year? You know the ones who are double fisting beers and chanting college slogans, huddling together and dancing some kind of east coast jig at the expense of everyone nearby. Just an observation, and maybe its just the luck of where I've been standing.

I noticed it all over last night. Felt like a huge frat party. I didn't like the vibe at all.

The jacked up security goons in red shirts didn't help either. I'd advise using a little extra discretion when engaging in proclivities. Security seem to be going out of their way looking for smokers this year.

pfunk is to thatpatguy as zappa is to tungsten and dylan is to esau

ha ha awesome!!! I've got a niche!! :)

and yeah.. I make my funk the pfunk' date=' I want to get funked up![/quote']

Makes me think of a line on the Motherpage, a P-Funk fan site, where there is a discography section and they are explaining the review system and it says "Please remember that even lower rated albums rate highly when compared with unfunk."

Quick question.

Are these lawn chair goons REALLY at the front of the stage for these shows? I plan on being up there for Drive-By Truckers next Saturday and a friend told me I will more than likely be turfed for pushing someone out of a chair at the front of the stage. I'd hate to go all the way up there just to be thrown out but I'd rather be tossed than stand at the back and watch my favorite band play to the lamest crowd in the history of rock n' roll.

i don't think you'll have a problem at that show. even last night at Steve Earle (at the same stage as DBT) we were standing, as was the vast majority of the crowd, and we were 5th row or something. There were some lawn chairs beside us but there was no friction that I could discern.

A certain skank even used the lawnchairs for a bit. photos to come....

Quick question.

Are these lawn chair goons REALLY at the front of the stage for these shows? I plan on being up there for Drive-By Truckers next Saturday and a friend told me I will more than likely be turfed for pushing someone out of a chair at the front of the stage. I'd hate to go all the way up there just to be thrown out but I'd rather be tossed than stand at the back and watch my favorite band play to the lamest crowd in the history of rock n' roll.

1. That wasn't a quick question.

2. Pushing someone out of a chair will either get you turfed or thrown in jail. The handicapped are not to be messed with.

Quick question.

Lawn chairs aren't really an issue this year, especially when it comes to the bands that play to a younger audience. I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Watch out for the roaming goon security guards though. They really seemed to be into hassling people last night for no apparent reason.

Okkervil River was great. Probably my favourite show so far. King Sunny Ade was wicked. I was surprise to hear some Genesis inspired solos from the keyboard player. Jackson Browne was godawful.

On the food tip, check out Jean Albert's stand. It's the last one on the right in that big strip of food stalls. Kinda pricey but so good.

for all the shit that Denis Armstrong has written in the past, he did a great job reviewing last night's acts. Meaning I agree with him.

http://www.ottawasun.com/entertainment/music/2009/07/10/10095756-sun.html

Glad to see a 7:15 act get such great response. I was warned 1 week ago not to miss Okkervil River, and then Northern Wish was kind enough to reinforce that yesterday via email. I made sure as hell that I was there for the start of the performance. I liked them, but I REALLY warmed up heavily when I started hearing their incredible Beach Boys cover of Pet Sounds "Sloop John B". WOW! That was it. I became an instant fan.

To pull off such an ambitious pseudo-cover-remake and really really make it sound right was simply fucking amazing. The rest of the set had me unable to leave. I had planned on hitting up Sham Roberts, for some photos but Uh Oh.... I missed that [color:purple]great opportunity in order to enjoy Okkervil River.

Sloop John B

Did anyone tape Okkervil River?

If I had my brain in order, I would have brought my Roland thingy and held it up in my hand. Fuck....it would be good to share that show.

The Punch Brothers look like a really good act to catch. Is this rain here to stay?

I'm going to try to make it down for John Vanderslice at 4:15 on the Hard Rock stage. I've never heard him but Randy gave him a strong recommendation.

I'm also interested in seeing The Church at 7:15 on the Subway stage.

And I guess I'll have to check out Matisyahu if I make it that late. Damn, I thought I was going to have an early night. ;)