Jambands.ca

Bluesfest tonight

phorbesie

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tip for those sneaking in beers: make sure you get a proof of ID wristband before you start drinking them. Otherwise it's a dead giveaway that you didn't buy your beer from a vendor.

Oh yeah, they ran out of Creemore again.

Man. They've turned drinking into such a hassle.

I'm glad I quit.

Thankfully there's no wristband required for smoking a doob!

black keys ripped it last night. i see many more shows in my future with those guys. but hopefully a smaller venue. jeff beck was awesome. but alot of people kept leaving. guess the jam was a bit too much for some people. holy fuck, Iron and Wine Ben harper tonight.

Edited by Guest

Tip for those sneaking in beers: make sure you get a proof of ID wristband before you start drinking them. Otherwise it's a dead giveaway that you didn't buy your beer from a vendor.

Oh yeah, they ran out of Creemore again.

Thanks for the tips! What are they selling? Tall boys? And what other flavours?

Van Der Graaf Generator were awesome ... thanks' date=' Oliver and Christine for keeping me company with my weird ass prog rock before heading over to the main stage. Only things missing : no encore and they didn't play Childlike Faith In Childhood's End.[/quote']

Van Der Graaf were great! I wish I'd stayed for the rest of their set, Jeff Beck just wasn't what I expected. Meh. Nice white pants though.

Best part of Van Der Graaf happened just after you left. They were playing "Sleepwalkers" and there is a bit where is quiets down for a stretch and it is just Hugh Banton making swirly sounds on his organ. Well, if an act on a side stage at BluesFest quiets down, what always happens is sound from the main stage starts to drift in. Well, what drifted in was the sound of Jeff Beck's keyboard player making his own swirly sounds, different from Hugh Banton but it went perfectly with what was being played. Peter Hammil (VDGG lead singer) was damn near busting a gut laughing, pointing towards the main stage then giving a thumbs up. A rare moment of inter-stage serendipity.

Black Keys were cool but I left part way through (the trifecta of sore feet, unfamiliar music and being surrounded by strangers who were all much younger than I am) and went over to the Subway stage where I caught the last chunk of Blue King Brown from Australia ... they were great, high energy and very fun and danceable. I hope they bring them back next year.

From the mailing list:

Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest Byward - July 9 schedule adjustment

Ottawa, July 9 - Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest Byward organizers today announced a slight change in the Bluesfest ByWard schedule.

Sergent Garcia will follow up on last night’s brilliant Bluesfest performance at the LeBreton Flats site, with a free performance tonight at 7:15 p.m. on the Bluesfest ByWard York Street stage.

Rjd2 has been re-scheduled to perform at the Whiskey Bar, 110 York Street at midnight, tonight.

Check all the details online at www.bluesfestbyward.com

george clinton was fun, but very short. they started around 8:50 and were done by 10:00 as there is a curfew. i think they only played about 6 songs.

intro w/o GC

cosmic slop

red hot mama

flashlight

george's grandaughter doing song about the skunk

we got the funk

and maybe a couple more.

it was free, and a 30 minute walk from home, so i can't complain. the kids really liked it.

george clinton was fun, but very short. they started around 8:50 and were done by 10:00 as there is a curfew. i think they only played about 6 songs.

intro w/o GC

cosmic slop

red hot mama

flashlight

we got the funk

and maybe a couple more.

it was free, and a 30 minute walk from home, so i can't complain. the kids really liked it.

VERY entertaining show, I had to laugh at how little George himself can perform! It's almost like he doesn't need to do too much; he can get everyone going just by flapping his arms around once or twice.

A little heavy on the wailing distorted guitar solos and light on the synths. THey had 5-6 guitars going at once (although you could really only hear the lead flying V). Anyhoo, it was fun to see. I was hoping that one guy's makeshift towel-diaper would fall off.

Anyone know who from the current band has been in the band for a long time?

george clinton was fun' date=' but very short. they started around 8:50 and were done by 10:00 as there is a curfew. i think they only played about 6 songs.

intro w/o GC

cosmic slop

red hot mama

flashlight

we got the funk

and maybe a couple more.

[/quote']

VERY entertaining show, I had to laugh at how little George himself can perform! It's almost like he doesn't need to do too much; he can get everyone going just by flapping his arms around once or twice.

A little heavy on the wailing distorted guitar solos and light on the synths. THey had 5-6 guitars going at once (although you could really only hear the lead flying V). Anyhoo, it was fun to see. I was hoping that one guy's makeshift towel-diaper would fall off.

Heresy!

I'm not very good at identifying many of the thousand or so P-Funk long timers by sight, although I do know that Gary Shider (diaper guy) and I believe Lige Curry (bass player way at the back) were there, but for me the big news was that Michael Hampton (rainbow wig/flying V player) was on stage last night, unlike the last time they came to town. Of my Top 11 List of all time favorite guitar players (it's one higher!), 9 are still alive and , before last night, I had seen 8 of those guitarists play live. Michael Hampton last night completed the set, and I was not dissappointed (apart from the fact they didn't do Maggot Brain, and I understand that there were time considerations).

Edited by Guest

The guys who have been in The Funk Mob since the glory days of the 70s that were there last night were:

• George Clinton (obviously)
  • Garry "Starchild" Shider - buddy in the diaper, who's been in the band since day one and is considered the musical director for The P-Funk All Stars
  • Michael "Kidd Funkadelic" Hampton - The guitarist with the rainbow afro. He joined in 1976, replacing Eddie Hazel. The story is he auditioned by playing Maggot Brain note for note and was hired on the spot, at the age of 17.
  • Michael "Clip" Payne - The guy playing the drum machine with the super deep voice. He joined Bootsy's Rubber Band in 1979
  • Lige Curry - Bass, sitting down all night, hard to see. He started with Parlet and The Brides of Funkenstein in 1974
  • Frankie "Kash" Waddy - The drummer with the braids. He started with Bootsy's Rubber Band in 1971, before that he played with James Brown and then Bootsy's first band, The House Guests
  • Robert "P-Nut" Johnson - The background vocalist with the dreads. He started with Bootsy's Rubber Band in 1976 and did studio work with Parliament and Funkadelic
  • Greg Thomas - Saxophone. Started with both George Clinton and Bootsy Collins in the mid 80s

Most of the "real" all stars.. the guys who were really active in Parliament and Funkadelic back in the 70s have either burned themselves out, died, or just don't seem to be interested in playing with George these days other than maybe the odd big show, like they did at Woodstock, where Bootsy and Bernie Worrell joined the band for the gig.

One of the reasons why the P-Funk empire fell in the early 80s was due to egos and such and I'm guessing that there are a bunch of guys who would just rather not have anything to do with each other any more.

One thing that's cool to note is that there is a Canadian connection in the creation of Funkadelic. Garry Shider moved to Canada along with his buddy Cordell "Boogie" Mosson (a bassist) in their teens from New Jersey. There they joined a band called United Soul. Before moving to Canada Shider had already met and started to impress Clinton back in New Jersey with his vocal abilities and guitar playing.

When Shider and Mosson moved to Canada Clinton was living in Toronto. Shider used his existing connection with Clinton to get him to produce some singles for the band in 1971, under the name U.S. Music with Funkadelic. In 1972 Shider and Mosson joined Funkadelic (and then Parliament).

Edited by Guest