Jambands.ca

Gotta get strong for the season?

SaggyBalls

Well it turns out that I'm one of 2 considered for a beekeeper's assistant position in my hometown.

While I am excited and want to keep any sort of momentum forward-moving, I also realize that there are a few obstacles...

...most notably is that my body will be very angry at me if I don't get to some kind of fitness training - particularly if I get the position, but with time as well (I'm 30 and the clock is ticking)

So if you have any great tips about getting stronger, or great resources for me to find them myself, or are in a similar spot and wanted to say something but never had the appropriate place to mention it, then I guess this is the place!

I don't understand... you're getting too old to get in shape?

I heard lifting weights work for getting strong. You can even use the weight of your own body, like by doing a push up or sit up or pull up. Anything that ends in up usually means you get stronger.

Good luck, sounds like a stingy endeavour!

YT, if access to a gym is limiting you due to fundage, the YMCA has an amazing assisted membership program. Just give them a call and they will arrange an interview. Its not humiliating or anything like that. They just need to know what you have to figure out what you can afford...my gf in Ottawa pays $10.00 a month. A YMCA card is also good at any YMCA gym.

Also you recieve a free first 'go through everything' session to help you figure out whats good for you.

Wheres your hometown? I thought it was Merreckville?

Try walking long distances at first.. then up the anti to jogging short distances.. this will lead up to bigger and better things.

baby steps my friend.

I found that jogging really bothered my knees after a few months. Pound, pound, pound. An elliptical machine accomplishes the same thing without the wear and tear on the knees and hips. I've lost 9 kgs this year using one (and I haven't changed my eating habits one iota).

I was a competitive athlete in high school (swimming) and even laid off nugs during swim season but have basically biked, ultimate, bouts of jogging and martial arts in the years between. Then I got fat. Way fat. Then I got way excessive about training, like way overtraining excessive (I also live right right around the corner from the best Y in Toronto) I'd say well ove 500 training hours in the last calendar year between swimming, jogging, biking and weights. And everything really intense. I hit my fitness goals which were losing 50 lbs. (actually more like 60 depending on the day) and going from %26 body fat which was charted for my age as 'insufficient' (I believe, whatever it was the word really pissed me off) to now %11 or 'excellent' for my age. Although I'm still really active and at the gym say at least 3 days before dawn I find with short sprints on the bike and longer treks and a jog maybe once a week it's gravy. Getting to that point was really hard though, I guess the motivation is what people have trouble understanding or finding for themself. It just has paid off so many really tangible mental health benefits I can't say enough really. Embarassingly one thing that set me down the road was I took a really bad tumble on a brand new custom built hybrid with as it turned out super touchy front brakes at least brand new. Nearly lost the tip of my finger (really hot plastic surgery resident, buxom) and broke my right arm but my shirts off and this other hot RN with tats and shit on her arms sort of takes me aside and gives me the speech about the paunch and how she wouldn't be doing her job as a community nurse and the host of diseases associated with it. It was way embarassing but oddly, although it played on vanity, really needed.

So if you're remote I'd say work on the doing something first thing in the day principle say realistic target of 3 days a week and combine some sort of cardio and body resistance. Go with like five minute warm up, ideally twenty jog and stop to do 10 pushups every five minutes see if that flies. Go from there.

Good luck in getting this job YT! It does sound interesting.

If I were seeking advice on exercise and getting fit, this site would be the last place I would look!

I figure that of the very few places I go online anymore, this site might as well come in useful for something if I could be outside or 'training' inside...I welcome any discussion or jokes at my expense.

obesekeeper...

So if you're remote I'd say work on the doing something first thing in the day principle say realistic target of 3 days a week and combine some sort of cardio and body resistance. Go with like five minute warm up, ideally twenty jog and stop to do 10 pushups every five minutes see if that flies. Go from there.

Thanks!

Oh and eat something first first thing when you get up like a piece of fruit or glass of milk or soy milk or whatever too.

Thanks! Lemon water or grapefruit is best for me *first* thing, but protein breakfast is great I agree.