Jambands.ca

10 years ago this fall...

bouche

PEI Punk reminded me that 10 years ago this fall (the date is non-exact) this site came alive. It was called Phishsanctuary.com and looked like this in 2001. The first post that was kept is a Phish review by Booche. I probably deleted and reinstalled the site a few times through september and october of 2000 as I was using some beta software from Ultimate Bulletin Board.

Not much later I met Mark Tonin and he proposed the merging of phishsanctuary.com with jambands.ca which became what this community ultimately is today.

There are a good number of original community members still here and posting. If you want to check out what was hip back then, go to the Cavern Archive and start browsing. To go right to the first (kept) post, hit LAST in the pagenator links.

On saturday, the Punk pointed this out to me and I think that he wants to put on a 10th anniversary show. he said something like...

"I'll get the boys from nero in on it and we'll put on a fund raising.... *hic* *bonk* OWWWW! who the fuck' put that chair there? .... rund faising event for the 10th....Hey TOODDD! Check THIS OUT! (pulls dress shirt through fly of pants).... where was I...oh yeah, do you wanna do a shot of gin?"

Punk might not remember any of that and I can't promise that this conversation when down that way but he was pretty clear that he wouldn't be such a drunk if it wasn't for this site. :P

He reminded me that many of us wouldn't have met. For example, I wouldn't have met my bride if it wasn't for this community. I probably wouldn't have even known of nero if it wasn't for this community...I may not have moved to Ottawa. So many little things that came from relationships on here affected my experience.

Since 10 years is a long time, think of people you met or things you ended up discovering in direct relation to this forum and share them here.

Also, find some funny posts from the past and put them in this thread. There should be some doozys though most of the images that were included as links or even uploaded probably haven't survived 10 years.

Feb 2001 or 02 I joined, on my other account (love to see this one merged with that one now that it works again ;) ), although it shows 2004 as the join date due to a database error where mine and some others disappeared, if I remember correctly.

I'll edit this to add more thoughts when I have the time, but for now I just want to say thanks Mike for everything you do keeping this place going, I've met so many great folks through this place - the majority of which I may have only bumped shoulders with at a show otherwise.

Cheers :chug:

Not much later I met Mark Tonin and he proposed the merging of phishsanctuary.com with jambands.ca which became what this community ultimately is today.

I was sitting in tungstengruvstens living room on Feb 1, 2002 (bit of a guess there but I am sure someone has the recording) and in blasts Mark Tonin questioning each individual sitting around the scene: "Are you Asparagus?! No? Well, are you Asparagus?!"

It was a Saturday afternoon and the boys from nero were making their way to town. Unfortunately as this was the maiden voyage of the short bus they had some trouble getting out of TO and on to Kitchener where they would play that evening as a set blender with Jomomma (can't even remember the name of the place but I do know it was close enough to walk from tg's).

The night progressed as many at that old place did (hell I can't even remember the street name!) and we ended up at the bar watching what I believe to be the final night of Geoffs residency with Jomomma. At one point he was taking a piss while his band played!

The next morning, and afternoon we all spent in a hungover haze- including the nero lads and Stapes. By the time they got off the couch to head out of town to London (again I am para-remembering here) and the "new"bus wouldn't start. Someone should have told those boys that diesel freezes!!

So to summarize in one short 24 hour period I met Tonin, Bouche, gentlemonkey, Stapes, rabidmonkey and Pablo Sanchez.

Oh what a night!

So many memories.

At a New Deal show in January 2002, I met a rather funny fellow with a Burt Reynolds mustache. He told me about the phish sanctuary website and insisted I join.

The rec.music.phish newsgroup was not giving me the sense of community I craved, so I joined the phish sanctuary the following day.

At first, I got to know a few people through the board, in virtual form only. Booche and Bouche, I figured were in charge of the sanctuary. In April of that year, through the sanctuary, I learned of a Days of You reunion show to take place at a basement bar in Ottawa, and several "skanks" would be present. I could finally meet some of them!

Days of You were one of my favorite bar bands in the 90s. It was going to be awesome!

I arrived a bit late, after the opening band "Dr. Huxtable" had played, to see several people mocking an electric toaster on the stage. I thought "these people are idiots, I don't want to meet any of them".

Over time I got to know all the cool people on the board and have forged many good friendships.

Still no explanation about that electric toaster.

The thing I remember most when I first joined the board was Booche telling me to make sure I didnt tell anyone about it as it was going to simply be a small Ottawa community type thing and we didnt want it to get too big...

Thank you for all your hard work with the board Mike... can't believe my ForbinHood/PassedOutGuy persona was born ten years ago.

Wow...time flies eh? I think in 2000 I had a homemade microphone made of pine and aluminum that I was dragging to Jomomma shows at Times Square in Kitchener to record to minidisc...

The bar NW posted about was either the Circus Room - that was the first time I ever really talked to the Nero boys...or the only other bar close to my house(where I did see/record Jomomma once and Rheos once) was Club Abstract - much bigger and weirder...but my place was just past where Mrs. Robinsons had been in the Kit/Wtloo no-mans land...

My house was on Wilhelm(SCREEEEEAM) St. And back then it was very much a 'THAT PLACE' type of place!! hehehe

Anyways, After the Circus Room/Abstract gig they needed a place to stay, muttered shit about a hotel and I told them to stay at my place - even though the bus broke down, Lady Luck was present as there was a diesel mechanic right around the corner from my place!!!!

To clarify tho - it was Bouche who burst in asking who Asparagus was - he had come down to visit Mark T. for the first time...for my non-skank roommates this was far enough out of the ordinary that they still bring it up!

At the time I was working from home doing audio work for cartoon pilots(sigh...miss that) - Stapes and Jay did some hilarious voices for the pilot of 'Peep and the big wide world' while Shane blazed and Dave practiced...I'm pretty sure they stayed for a few or 4 days even until the bus was fixed!!

The first time I met the Nero boys was doing sound at Mr. Tonin's first Jambands.ca fest at the Lancaster - 2001? I think I had seen them at Frontier town before that(ScottieKing and I were just talking about this...)

I think I met the bulk of the Ottawa folks at the next Frontier Town....I just waltzed into the middle of their camp, set my tent up in a corner and made myself at home....man, it'll take some thinking to remember who all was there!

I'm oldish already, so even though I'm relatively speaking a johnny-come-lately signer-upper (Feb. 2005, I reckon), this thread makes me feel old, but that's awesome, since I like old.

First mention, though, that I ever caught wind of for jambands.ca was in fact back in fall of 2001, when Mark, whom I hadn't seen in a while, spotted me at a Hillside fest, and was brimming with the news about this new way to get amazing music happening through this new website he'd been working at getting set up; he asked if I wanted to sign on in a few weeks from then to play at this sketchy old place (as I remembered it from my high school days) - the Lanc - to do a solo set. It was all brand new to me at the time; I remember Mark Wilson, the Fat Cats, Nero, and Jomamma being on the bill. I also remember floating on clouds for days afterwards, thinking, wow, thanks Mark, I am so happy to have been brought into this thing that's going on.

It's been a pleasure and an honour to get closer to this group of freaky music lovers in all the years since. I'd say more, but it would be either silly, maudlin, pointless, or all three of those things at once.

Ten years, eh? Wow. I think I signed up in the summer of 2001, so I guess that means I've spent nine years staring at this board. I don't think I posted anything for almost a year, though. It seems like it's always been around!

Anyway, great job and a big thank-you to Mike for keeping this going for all these years!