Jambands.ca

Dream Show '04...

guigsy

ok....a short while back there was a thread about your favourite shows of 2003....now, as 2003 winds down and 2004 looms larger in front of us, and the anticipation builds as to what shows we all hope to get to in the new year...here's my question, what would you just absolutely fucking love to see in 2004? one show, one scenario, one night, whatever, if it were up to you to put together one show, what would it be?

me?

im gonna go to bed tonite dreaming of Evolve 2004, Saturday nite, Grand Theft Bus>Jimmy Swift Band>Nero seamless set into the wee fuckin hours of the morn'.....some of the best canadian talent at one of the best canadian festivals...

Canadian:

Due to his health problems and whatnot I would have to say most of all:

Gordon Lightfoot...Canadiana at its finest,hes feelin better latley and has been in Hamilton at Grant street studios...

All others(well two only I guess):

The Slip & Addison Groove Project (same bill... [Eek!] )

(I got to hear a "If one of us should fall" live soon.)

Dylan,plain & simple...he's my favourite.

hmmmm, dream show...

well, a three hitter for me...

leading off-- Hookah, just to warm it up... then panic (with a guest appearance of Robert Randolph, like at roo--the smile on his face!) and then end it off with two sacred jams by sci, with Fleck joining for a couple of sets-- venue??? hmmm..... commodore would be nice...

hmmm

phish in my basement,,, my requests all night,, or keller>the slip>phish with the giant country horns and choir for julius >>Pfunk latenight set>ween morning jam(id love to see ppl waking up to that)>om trio lunchtime set all this is happening at frontier town where for one weekend only, all the drugs are FREEEEE!!!!!! and thers everything youd want there,, some deemsters, some paper, some mush, some good op

thats my dream

A musical staging of King Lear, starring Joni Mitchell and Neil Young, with Edie Brickell, Bobby McFerrin, Lucinda Williams and Paul McCartney co-starring. The pit orchestra would include Brian Blade, Bill Frisell, Mike Gordon, Paul Schaffer, Pharaoh Sanders and Roy Hargrove. Good seats.

Ween afterparty.

1)well it's still a dream of mine to see DSO recreate the Festival Express (sort of)

Caravan of great bands and friends to join the party as we travel across Canada this summer

2)to see The Slip and Robert Randolph everytime they make it up to Canada...anywhere!

3)i have to check out 2 bands i've been wondering about for the longest time...STS9 and Garaj Mahal...please come to Ontario!!

you're all so silly.

what a silly post...i love silliness...

so far the best one's been velvet...

but my dynamic seamless sets are indicated with a double asterisk between the seamless bands.

2PM springer and ducommun group(could be interchanged with stephen franke...but i haven't seen SF&NFtT but i believe everyone's points of view regarding music that's raved about that group)>**4PM tND(a few shows after the hiatus, warming up for the montreal jazz fest...DnB/dub/jazzy/funky stuff) 6PM the roots>**8PM theivery Corporation>**11 PM soulive> 1AM moe.>**4 AM trey band 7 AM antibalas>**9 AM dirty dozen brass band> 12 noon-4 PM - bill frisell

dinner - 4:30-7

7:30GTB**> 11 PM nero> 1:30AM> 4AM D&T> ** 7-9 AM manitoba

anyone that's heard theivery corp would understand why they get the longest mid-evening set.

another reason would be that people deserve a break from intensity.

i know all you kiddies love your rock and roll but if this fest were in an opera house style club or a club with multi level partying (balconies and mezzanines) the show would be by far one of the most mindblowing times you'll have had. that would make it the dream concert.

especially with manitoba.

i think it's a great mix of organic and electronic. you got some rock, some funk, some jazz, some trip, some ultra trip. sure you can have your phish and panic and keller williams and this and that and granola this and hippy psychadelia that but keep in mind that it's not set up as an outdoor festival show. outdoors is the best venue for tie dye. indoors is a totally different vibe...

...i just opened the gates for a 'jambands started from concert hall shows' yeah i know...of course a cool venue is great for any band but we get to see somany rock and roll shows indoors and the summer is when they really open up and we have more fun with them.

i don't see a lot of jazz/hip hop/post rock/electronic festivals happen with the intensity of an outdoor rock fest.

sure there are select performances, but when mood and atmosphere are so dependant on the venue and you understand that mood and atmosphere are an integral part of the experience, I think that my point of view isn't necessarily deserving of a devil's advocate...especially when it's MY dream show.

and if you really think about it it could be yours too...especially with a hammock room for after manitoba.

Archived