Jambands.ca

How many of you actually played organized sports?

c-towns

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a tricky one. Playing is fun, but there aren't a lot of fun drills that I can recall.

The only one I can remember that was sort of "fun" was drop shot practice. The coach would put a small bucket just past the opposite side of the net and we would have to stand near the baseline and try to land the shuttle in the bucket. I dunno if that is technically "fun" but at least there is a measurable goal and the kids can be competitive about it.

That;s great, thanks. I can def work with that.

I played everything at some point: football, baseball, soccer, golf, squash, badminton, and hockey.

Hockey was the big one, AA/AAA level for a long time, played for nationally ranked teams in the states, tried out for state and under 18 national teams in the states (got invited and played for fun/competition as i'm not a yank).

Started going on Phish tour at 18 and turned soft and slow at most things athletic.

Oh, and if anyone cares, c-towns is tops at most bar and backyard "sports", games and obstacles.

Id like to challenge C-Towns! In fact, before I left Waterloo, my friends from Toronto(guys I grew up with) and I got together and had a "Manournamnet". We got a couple of small kegs of beer and took part in a series of competitions to determine who was the most manly of us all. Some of the activities we did were Golf Pitch, Soccer Penalty shots, Football Throw, Long Jump, Newfie horseshoes (throwing washers into a box with a cylinder in it), and Hold-a-bucket-full-of-water in-front-of-you-with-your-arms-fully-extended-for as-long-as-you-can (There's gotta be abetter name for it though) and so on. It was ridiculously fun. I won the football toss and the soccer shootout, but nearly gave myself a concussion in the long jump, which is why I say I didn't win the whole thing. The long jump was dumb too - we did on grass, right after it rained.

6251_236318855337_518705337_7932496_2645741_n.jpg

6251_236318730337_518705337_7932482_2592562_n.jpg

6251_236318620337_518705337_7932468_2527534_n.jpg

From 6 to 18 played rep soccer travelling, tournaments each weekend. 3 years of region team and 1 year on the Provincial team as a Keeper. 2 Years of college soccer with George Brown and then Durham.

Played about 6 years of hockey before giving way to indoor soccer in the winters so I could train year round.

At 18 started curling and went to provincial championships as a junior. Played on the B money circuit in mens until i was 27 or so before i had a couple of knee surguries.

Now, I appreciate sports with a beer in hand.

I've played hockey since I could walk. I made the travel teams a couple times as a kid but never really was all that good. And never cared either, just loved playing.

I was actually really good at baseball when I was younger, went to the all-Ontarios, etc. But grew to hate it and quit playing altogether by the time I was 15-16.

Oh' date=' and if anyone cares, c-towns is tops at most bar and backyard "sports", games and obstacles. [/quote']

Id like to challenge C-Towns! In fact, before I left Waterloo, my friends from Toronto(guys I grew up with) and I got together and had a "Manournamnet". We got a couple of small kegs of beer and took part in a series of competitions to determine who was the most manly of us all. Some of the activities we did were Golf Pitch, Soccer Penalty shots, Football Throw, Long Jump, Newfie horseshoes (throwing washers into a box with a cylinder in it), and Hold-a-bucket-full-of-water in-front-of-you-with-your-arms-fully-extended-for as-long-as-you-can (There's gotta be abetter name for it though) and so on. It was ridiculously fun. I won the football toss and the soccer shootout, but nearly gave myself a concussion in the long jump, which is why I say I didn't win the whole thing. The long jump was dumb too - we did on grass, right after it rained.

sounds like you were all winners, Hal

I think it was called LSD.

That reminds me. My roomate and I were unemployed one summer around the age of 22 and we dosed a couple of times a week during work days because no one would bother us. One Friday afternoon, while peaking, we could hear someone calling my name from below. I look out my window and sure enough its another buddy.

"Dude, get down here. We have a (lob ball) game tonight."

"What?"

"Yeah man. We have a tournament in Napanee this weekend, first game is tonight at 7:00"

"FACK!"

I scramble to get all my shit together and only think to bring my glove and cleats. Wore a tyedye instead of the jersey I believe. I got downstairs and buddy couldnt figure out why it took me so long especially since I didnt really bring anything with me. Normally I am a chatty fella but during this drive I was drifting in and out of my whereabouts while listening to tunes on the 45 minute drive. At one point buddy even commented that something was amiss with my behaviour. Sure enough, that got me thinking about it too much so I probably was even more strange to him.

During the drive one thing kept popping into my head. "How thefuck am I going to play with all this shit moving about and all these colors exploding?"

Well lemme tell ya. Even though I felt incredibly nervous the first inning and a half, that was my best game that season. I was in centerfield and I dont ever remember seeing a ball come off the bat the way it did that game. I got Devon White jumps on every ball. One sure double was hit (probably a triple in other states of mind) but somehow I got to it and gunned the mother fucker out at second, only idiot secondbaseman missed the tag. Whatever. Hit my only opposite field homerun of the season that game but I will never forget the ball coming off the bat while I was in center that night. Perfection.

dockellis2.jpg

I forgot that I played in an inline roller hockey league one summer, that was actually fun, hotasfuck though

I played nets for inline for one game...NEVER AGAIN! I lost 10lbs that game and was in a pool of my own sweat and wrecked goalie gear... painful memoires! The heat was insane!!

I didnt know where else to post this golden goodness. More hahaha PEI news:

The City of Charlottetown demonstrated its latest weapon Thursday morning for keeping crows out of the Brighton neighbourhood.

The Phoenix Wailer is a $4,000 machine that plays sounds of predators and gunshots to disperse crows to another location. The city has purchased two of the machines.

The crows gather by the thousands in the neighbourhood, and are both loud and messy.

"I've had people approach me continually since I've been elected to council about this whole issue of the crows. It was an issue before I was elected as well," said Coun. Rob Lantz.

"This is just a pilot project to see if there's anything that can be done."

The Wailers are just part of an arsenal of tools residents are able to borrow and take home for up to a month. Other crow-chasing devices include strobe lights and owl whistles.

Residents are being asked to record crow activity around their home for a week before they take home one of the machines, and report what effect they had afterward.

The city will evaluate the program in January.

Buote could stage a rave with that kinda equipment...

Crows are horrible in Chatham, we had a crow shoot one year and people were up in arms.

I remember my old crotchety neighbour (the one who freaked out when the ball hockey ball went into his hedges) standing out in his front yard slapping two peices of wood together to get the crows to stay out of his tree.