Jambands.ca

How many of you actually played organized sports?

c-towns

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Played baseball for Chatham until end of Midget and then switched over to Fastball for various Select Teams around Chatham.

Football in High School.

In the summers in Chatham there was competitive level beach volleyball, slo-pitch and ball hockey.

KW is only full of poor ass hippies that never done nothin' in their lives.

i miss hal.

Hockey, soccer (Daveyboy and I were teamate kings) and a highschool football tackle dummy.

After highschool only soccer was played at a competitive level for a couple of more years before beers and bongs became my sport of choice. At that point, lower soccer divisions, slo pitch/lob-ball (winning money at weekend tournaments was awesome) and pickup hockey began to rule the roost.

Then it was onto pubs for pool, darts and Golden Tee golf.

Hockey, golf, skiing and tennis teams at my high school. Go on make your jokes........

Played baseball and hockey growing up from 4 till about 18.

My hockey, tennis and skiing dreams died on Dec 30 1994 when I tore up my knee very badly skiing and never played anything in a team jersey again.

Until the beer league I played with at 22 after skating at least twice a year for 4 years. Note to self, no matter how hungry you are- a couple of quick soft taco supremes on your way to the first rink time you have seen in a while, IS A BAD IDEA.

Janitor'd.

Played high school soccer. 5 years, good striker on a crap team.

Made high school football team as a 120pound wide receiver just to see if i could make the team. If you caught me I woulda been a corpse. However, nobody ever caught me, so I made the team. That was all I wanted though, so I quit before the season started. Just wanted to make the team.

Lets see, I actually was fit as fuck at one point...provincial Silver medals in the 1500M and the 800M in High School. Canada Games rugby in Kamloops in 1993...I was small, but I loved getting hit. LOVED it; rugby was a good sport for me, I miss it tons.

Played nets all through minor hockey...I miss that too...

Thats it! This thread has made me decide to clean my life up and get back in shape! I'll keep you posted on my glorious comeback to fitness respectability.

Chris, before you attempt this glorious return- please read the last excerpt of my post very carefully.

I'd be in for a Skank Open for sure, if Gateaux isn't allowed to play.

Edit to add to my first post: I was the fastest kid in school up to Grade 6, like SOSSA champ for 100,200,400 and 4x100 races. During the summer between Grade 6 and 7 (heading to 'middle school') every one of my classmates seemingly hit puberty at full force. I didn't. I never even made the team again.......

Outside of school I tried a bunch of sports, at least for a season. My father coached hockey for many years but I never played for him.

Hockey (1975-1989) house-leagues, Huskie AA & AAA, reserve on Jr. B while I played Jr. C

Tee-ball (1975-1978?)

Lax (1978-1980)

Soccer (1981 or 82)

Football (1983)

I also played hockey for my highschool during 1984-1988

After 89 though, I drifted away from it all.

Thats it! This thread has made me decide to clean my life up and get back in shape! I'll keep you posted on my glorious comeback to fitness respectability.

That's it!

I know exactly where you got your idea:

A North Shore P.E.I. community has included grown-ups in a recent renovation of a community playground.

pe-playground-rustico.jpg

Much of the equipment in North Rustico's adult playground, which is right next to the new children's playground, is similar to what would be found in at a gym, with gear for working different muscle groups. But there is some swing-like equipment as well.

Volunteer firefighter Alison Larkin is a regular with fellow firefighter John Paul Doucette. Larkin told CBC news Tuesday she was initially skeptical.

"We went on it this summer and realized, you know, it's pretty fun," she said.

The outdoor fitness centre was built next to the kids' playground to give parents an opportunity to exercise while keeping their eyes on their children.

Outdoor fitness equipment is popular overseas, but is relatively new to Canada. There are similar centres in B.C, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador.

The new equipment cost $30,000, most which came from the provincial and federal governments, but North Rustico had to raise $7,000 of its own. It took a year to raise the funds, with help from the Lions Club and donations from businesses.

"Once the word was out of what we were doing, it wasn't hard to convince people that this was a worthy project," said community chair Dave Blacquiere.

"We've had an awful lot of people come down here and use it and of course we expect more and more as time goes on as people become aware of it."

The only disadvantage is the equipment may not get much use in the winter months, but the cold weather won't stop Larkin.

"I like playing in the snow still, snow suit, bundle up, and we'll get out."

played soccer from age 7 til 17, city travel team for two years in the middle. played on school team grades 8-11. once scored a goal from my own side of centre. giant kick out of frustration bounced over goalie into net.

played competitive (tournament) tennis from age 10-18. qualified for provincial championship tournaments a few seasons. didn't do so hot but technically got a provincial ranking as a result. won a few doubles titles in school district tournaments.

same goes for badminton, minus the provincial stuff.

played school basketball grades 8-12.

currently play in a 'all sorts of sports' league.

i'm sure i'm forgetting something.

I was a baseball guy for years...Then I got my driver's licence and got fat. So I umpired and coached baseball until I found beer. Then I hit the Slo-Pitch Beer Leagues.

I also played floor hockey one season in a pretty hard core league...They had an announcer that would announce the goals and penalties. It was fun...but killer all at the same time...You see, I was still fat.

I also ran track in grades 7-8....100m and 4*100m I placed 13th in the city and our 4 by placed 2nd!

This was before I got fat.

I played a bunch of sports, but I actually went through a phase where I didn't play or follow anything. I think it was called LSD. It wasn't until I worked at a summer camp as the head of Basketball that I realized that I actually got something really good out of sports. It's a touching story, really. My only hope is that the dude from the Wonder Years, not Fred Savage, but his buddy, plays me in the movie.

I did play shinny hockey with a bunch of 18 and 19 yr old kids at Acadia last week and I am very proud to say that I wasn't the worst one on the ice. Maybe the slowest, but definitely not the worst.

That's a tricky one. Playing is fun, but there aren't a lot of fun drills that I can recall.

The only one I can remember that was sort of "fun" was drop shot practice. The coach would put a small bucket just past the opposite side of the net and we would have to stand near the baseline and try to land the shuttle in the bucket. I dunno if that is technically "fun" but at least there is a measurable goal and the kids can be competitive about it.