Jambands.ca

US 2004 election thread

bouche

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the deal, according to CNN, as of 02:22 est. The way that election laws work in the state of Ohio is any provisional ballots(ballots from voters who were challenged about their legitimacy to vote, people who had problems with the original ballots) are to be verified, then counted 11 days after the election. In addition, any mail in ballots that are post marked on or before the date of the election still need to be counted. These would be the votes from United States citizen's who are living or travelling outside of the US, including soldiers. The mail in ballots are given 10 days to arrive to the state of Ohio.

The reason that this is coming into play is because there are approximately 150,000 to 250,000 mail in and provisional ballots that still need to be counted. Unless the difference in votes between Bush and Kerry exceeds that number, the Democatic party will not conceed the election.

To top all of it off, the Iowa polls have stopped reporting due to fatigue and equipment failures. Currently according to CNN, Bush has 149 electoral votes vs. Kerry's 142. At last count Bush was leading Iowa before they stopped counting.

Everybody spell it with me O-H-I-O. No Ohio, no presidency.

It looks like the American public bought into the "you're either with us or against us" Bush Style politics, although results are similar to 2004, I think the real problem with the US, is that there is a huge smokescreen about the truths of Bush's gov't and Kerry for that matter. They don't know who to trust, so it's a case of going with "the evil you know" as opposed the "evil you don't know"

To me this election just goes to show the narrow inward minded viewpoint of Americans. They are ignorant and arrogant about their place in the world; and that's why they are so dangerous... they still are a bunch of cowboys

Down with Bush.

Well, I guess that settles it. Its not a matter of a stolen election and a leader in power that the majority of the people don't want. Its a matter of most of the people who are citizens of that country, are fu©king retarded.

Its really too bad. It took a long time for me to sink this low in my opinion. I couldn't be happier that I don't have to go back there anytime soon.

Bush has also won the popular vote by a large margin, even if Kerry ends up winning Ohio! Votes for Bush 58,296,120 (51%), votes for Kerry 54,778,889 (48%).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is the most sobering statistic. Most Americans really do want Bush in power.

Personally I think the most sobering fact is: out of some 293,027,571 people (July 2004 est.) only 113,075,009 votes got counted.

For the "Greatest Democracy" in the world that doesn't seem like a very acurate representation of the will of the people. Let alone the fact that most states seem almost evenly divded.

bush_devil_horns.jpg

I've got a worse hangover than any combination of drugs and alcohol. Waking up to the same man is a tough pill to swallow even though there's some very faint glimmer of hope in Ohio.

I agree with Timmy wholeheartedly...if only in principle it's incredible to most of us that Bush won the popular vote. WE may not know the full reason for this but the safety and security of the status quo is likely. Rightly so, most Americans regardless of world view, intellect or sophistication are shaking in their boots. Some say voting in a new C-in-chief could eventually make them safer. Others think that change at such a crucial juncture is the last thing they need. I can see the validity of both arguments but keeping in that lunatic is a frightening thought, and what I truly wonder is why so many Americans can overlook the opinions of fellow Americans, Canadians, Iraqis, Europeans, and just about every other group of stakeholders and convince themselves that:

Even though most of the world thinks he's a nutbar,

Even though things are worse domestically,

Even though I don't feel safe,

Even though I lost my job,

He is the right choice.

...what I truly wonder is why so many Americans can overlook the opinions of fellow Americans, Canadians, Iraqis, Europeans, and just about every other group of stakeholders...

The following response, from another message board I frequent, is pretty typical of Americans who voted for Bush. (Note that this is in response to someone from Australia.)

The rest of the world can suck my cock. We're quite capable of making our own decisions here, despite not being as smart as the enlightened masses abroad.

You do know that without the American economy generating $11 TRILLION a year, being the world's economic engine, and without our military providing safety around the world, Australia would be a giant version of Ghana? Your country has no resources and is lucky to be included in the Western sphere of trading which lets you go on the Internet to put down a majority of our populace. Every night, you should go to bed and thank God America exists because without us, bucko, you'd be living in rags.

Ride 'em cowboy!!

Woke up, fell outta' bed...

Looks as though Bush is in for another four years. I guess The Daily Show and comedians throughout the world will have an endless source of material to make us laugh.

And again, I feel so fortunate to be a Canadian, knowing that I can travel to other countries and wear my flag proudly and be welcomed warmly...

Can'O'Phish