Jambands.ca

Grand Theft Bus: OK by me..

SolarGarlic

Just wanted to say that GTB played a couple of great shows in Calgary and Canmore. Ive read a lot of negative reviews regarding these guys over the last half year or so and didn't really have any expectations before I saw them this past weekend. I had gone to a few GTB shows in the past couple of years and was always pretty indifferent about the their live shows...I never hated what I heard but I never got really excited either.

After going to back-to-back shows I can honestly say that the band has finally sparked my attention. At times, the "older" sound got a little stale to my ears...This "newer" direction they are taking their music to is much more interesting and way more entertaining. Many of the old tunes were played both nights (and played well) but mixed in with the newer songs (which were also played well). At times I heard hints of Broken Social Scene (not a comparison or a pigeon hole, just an observation....) and even, GASP, some Slip-like stylings as well. A really good mixture was brewing and I was diggin' both nights for sure.

These guys certainly aren't a hippy dippy noodle band...there seems to be a little more substance and emotion. So this time around, for me, the band was great and I think they are really developing their sound and carving out something quite unique. Ive also been a fan of the first album, "Birth of Confusion", since I bought it however long ago that was...Up until this point Ive always liked that album more than the live show..maybe not so much the case anymore...and as a final note, the new album is just as good. I see heavy rotation of both for a long time to come.

the Bus are a great band... last show I saw, I couldn't help but visualize them playing on much bigger stages... hope that day comes for them, I feel like their sound definately has the capacity for that

good to hear you enjoyed yourself, hope lots of out-westerly folks are too

I totally agree with the Solar G, better than ever. I love Bob's drumming, at one point he was trying to use his electric drums but could barely hear them and it was like he got pissed and just started beating his drums with more force, it was awesome.

As for the new album, I freakin love it, theres only about 2 songs I don't like, pretty rare for a studio album for me.

Keeper goin' boys, you do good things.

If it's to "each his own", how many his's are you Gr8ful?

"Meh..to each his own i guess!! I never really liked Birth of confusion that much..or the bus...but since this new album and the new bus "Attitude".....I hate them, and will NEVER watch them play again."

"Hey i just wanna get everyones opinion on the new album, whaddya think? Do ya like it more or less than the first album? I just cant get into it at all, i've only listened to it maybe twice, but i just cant get into it like i could the old album, just wanna see what everyones elses opinion seems to lean towards."

"but to me the GTB i knew and Loved is DEAD"

Which is it and what are you saying?

I'm about 2-3 his's normally Booche..

It wasnt the bus i loved really..it was the party that ensued with the shows of old....People were just soo into the shows and the good times and the band was all about the crowd and partying afterewards and just Fun times..I dont get that anymore.. thats all

I also freakin love Birth Of Confusion and I've been jonesin' to see GTB again for some time now. I'm especially jonesin' to hear the new album!!!! I put that song "Room In Your Brain" on KC#20. I liked the way they were and I also like the way they're going.

jonesin.

I'm about 2-3 his's normally Booche..

It wasnt the bus i loved really..it was the party that ensued with the shows of old....People were just soo into the shows and the good times and the band was all about the crowd and partying afterewards and just Fun times..I dont get that anymore.. thats all

So because the people attending aren't partying as hard as they used to during or after the show,you hate GTB?

As far as I know the band is still about the community that comes out to the shows...just because they don't come and party with everybody after each show doesn't take that away...especially given they usually have to play a gig the next night & night after that & in between drive,rehearse,sleep,write..and have their own seperate lives.

I love gtb..

They embody a lot of what I like about music, their show is always different and you can tell they love doing it. Not only that, all their tunes are natural and it never seems like they're 'going for a sound'. I like it a lot when music feels real.

Its too bad anytime someone says something nice about them, people *cough*gr8ful* have to keep chiming in with the same opinion over and over. We get you dont like them ! Why not give people a chance to check them out with an open mind, instead of constantly saying they were better before or whatever? get over it!

Edited by Guest
spelling = bad

Gr8FuL, you're going to have to come up with some evidence of the change of attitude of the band (which, in and of itself, is not a bad thing; you'll also have to show why the old attitude was good, and the new attitude bad) if you want your opinion to have any credibility. I've seen them a bunch of times since 2002-01 (and started taping them in 2002-10), and have never seen any attitude except gratitude to the fans (and tapers; they're one of the best bands for ackowledging tapers' efforts), and a desire to play their music.

And their music has changed, certainly. It used to be fairly noodly (even trancy, at times) and extended (not to largely instrumental), and now focuses more on tightly written songs (with vocals). What I've seen of them trying to distance themselves from the "jamband" label is more about an honest statement of their musical direction; it's truth in advertising, not disrespect to the fans. (And they still have most of the trappings of a "jamband": allowing taping/uploading/trading, varying setlists, touring relentlessly, an intimate relationship with the fans, etc.; "jamband" is a sociological term, not a musical one.) Yes, they've also said that they can't stand to play some of their older stuff (some of which they don't know how to play anymore; heck, even REM had to buy a copy of their songbook to re-learn older material at one point), but that's them being honest.

Admittedly my experience is limited to seeing them primarily in Ottawa (along with the odd time in Toronto, Montreal, and at moe.down), and is influenced by the way I, as a taper, have a relationship with them that's a bit different from that of a listener, but I've been a fan since I saw them the first time, and the high regard I have for them as musicians, and as friends, has stayed consistent, because they've stayed consistent.

Aloha,

Brad

I have to say, I never saw the GTB of old. I have seen them probably 4 or 5 times and thought they were alright, but they never really grabbed me enough to stay until the end of the show. Obviously I think they're good enough that I continue to come see them. The last Hamilton show, however, was the best I have ever seen them play, enough that I actually anticipate seeing them again. Was fucking loud though; they could stand to turn it down a notch and still rock hard.

Have to say as far as attitude, though, that they seemed pretty chilled to me. They even asked for a round of applause for KC, saying that for all the touring they've done, Ken at the Pepper Jack has got to be the nicest bar manager they've ever met. Gr8ful, I can understand how it is if you've become friendly with a band and you see their attitude change, how that can leave you feeling alienated. In truth, though, they're a band, and you pay your cover charge or CD cost in exchange for the music they play, end of story. Sure, you have the right not to go see them anymore, but understand that their attitude has no effect on someone like me, a casual fan who comes out simply to see what they have to offer musically. Of course it's a bonus when a band who has just blown your mind comes offstage and chills for a few beers and some good times; likewise, if I'm watching a band and get the feeling that they hold particular disdain for the audience or each other, it's a turn-off. All that means, though, is that I won't go back to see them again.

I'm not commenting on GTB, I look forward to seeing them again, but Rev, you contradicted yourself pretty badly here...

understand that their attitude has no effect on someone like me, a casual fan who comes out simply to see what they have to offer musically.
if I'm watching a band and get the feeling that they hold particular disdain for the audience or each other, it's a turn-off. All that means, though, is that I won't go back to see them again.

If a band's attitude has no effect on you, then why would disdain for the audience prevent you from seeing them again?

For the record, I think the Bus boys are some of the nicest dudes in the scene... Very chill and good to their fans...

Your then vs. now comparison boiling down to lack of a good afterparty is laughable, but the effect that your unwarranted criticism has on a talented band and potential fans lurking in the shadows is disappointing and fucking stupid.

Next time think a bit more about what you're saying. Far be it from me to tell anyone not to express themselves but is it too much to ask that you put some reasoning or credibility into what you're saying? As someone else mentioned on another thread:

1. We love well-presented criticism

2. We need fewer people saying "(Insert Band) sucks"