Jambands.ca

Live 8 Broadcast

Swan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Bryan Adams with his british accent right now. He did a Tears are not Enough tease. atta boy!

I noticed his keyboardist had a setlist taped on the keyboard. I saw "All for love". It made me chuckle because I figured that the cameraman released a secret. Then, Adams takes his acoustic out to the crowd and does a SOLO version of that tune (sans Sting and Rod). We wondered then, why did the keyboardist need a setlist for 4 songs, and one of those, he wasn't even playing on. hahahah.

Meet the mover and shaker.

Dimitri Ehrlich

Sorry for the long absence. Russell Simmons, founding father of the modern hip-hop industry and one of the producers of Live 8 in Philly, agreed to spend the morning with me, so I spent a few hours away from the front of the stage, instead trailing Russell as he wheeled and dealed.

A bit of background on Russell: He co-founded the Def Jam label, signed LL Cool J, founded Phat Farm, and has gone on to be a driving force in hip-hop and popular culture through a number of ventures, most recently branching into political activism. I first met him in the late 80s, when Def Jam was still a small indie label, and have watched him steadily grow into one of America's most successful and well-connected entrepreneurs.

The nice thing about hanging out with Russell is he's like a battering ram: walk around with him and doors magically open.

I met up with him backstage in the artist's compound, where Dave Matthews was holding court, among a circle of friends and admirers.

I followed Russell past the Dave Matthews circle of love, and qucikly found that Russell is a quick walker--though his progress was constantly interrupted by well-wishers and fans. Russell was supposed to sit down and do an interview with Don Cheadle, but first there was business to attend to--something about a contract for today's concert that still hadn't been signed.

In the meantime, I would be a fly on the wall, and get a firsthand glimpse of what a concert producer actually does.

Jay-Z is sick. The sarcasm of doing "Big Pimpin'" at a show like this is pure genius. Even Linkin Park didn't make me wanna throw up.

Glad to see that some Hip hop made the bill in some places considering that the support for the Live 8 cause is massive amongst the artists as well as the fans in this particular genre. Too bad a group like Dead Prez couldn't make the cut.

I'm really pissed that I can't choose what to watch, and I'm forced to see only the Canadian performances.

Thanks to Bit Torrent, I can at least see U2.

I really want to see Sting....LIVE. however, our tv selection for this sucks donkey nutz.