Jambands.ca

THANK YOU GMP PROMOTIONS! YOU ROCK!

MarcO

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've never received any of these emails...knock on wood.

you dont' have to include your email address in your profile...i don't.

you are correct, Heather. But I would say that having your e-mail listed in your profile is not an open invitation for it to be appropriated for promotional purposes. Secondly, in my case, my email is not listed. So, again, I wonder where they found it?

The thing I don't understand is why would these promoters take emails from a MUSIC message board and send out spam to annoy us when they could just post their info here on the forum??

And they do. I knew all about these shows from them being bumped and hustled on the front page of this board for some time now.

It's not like I need a freakin' e-mail to remind me of these shows I don't want to see.

I wrote a particularly nasty e-mail asking to be removed. I'm not holding my breath though, what with the last fiasco we had with this sort of thing.

The reason that "some people never learn" though is that some people use this board solely as a vehicle for promoting their shows, and never take the time to read any of the other threads - like the ones about how everyone hates receiving spam, and how wrong it is to be harvesting e-mails from the board.

Fuck you, Marky.

Haha. I've had the same problem repeatedly, but in a different situation: because I play in a band, I have my contact info all over the net, my band website, new music canada, etc., so industry people go there, pilfer my info, and send me crap I don't want. Which I hate. And unfortunately, when I get spam from these industry people, especially at something addressed to buycd@stephenf...(obviously from a 'bot) I get pissed, and I email back without thinking or sensoring my responses.

As a result, I've ended up in email wars on a dozen occasions. Indiepool and I went head to head. The guy (who I don't know) from Bandspace.ca got so mad at me when I told him to f@ck off, he threatened to hit me in the head next time he saw me. I told him if he sent his name he would be on the guest list on our next show (he's from Toronto), because I figured, growing up on a farm in smalltown ontario, being also that I'm a loudmouth, I'd been in lots more fights than some random musician starting up a music-selling business. He wouldn't send his full name and became apologetic. Priceless.

I stopped emailing these morons because I thought I was just some aggro-email guy. Now I find out there's likeminded folks.

Good to know I not alone and not completely crazy...although I do recognize that I need to relax a little. I still hate priests. Not that I've been touched. I swear. Now I've said too much.

maybe we should change the thread title to "ROLL CALL: BROTHER'S PAST, MICHAEL FRANTI, SOULIVE"

[oh and by the way, that apostrophe in brothers was bugging me so i checked it out on their official site. according to www.brotherspast.com, they are BROTHERS past not "brother's" past.

gee, if i was a band, i'd probably be annoyed my promoter was not only spamming people about me but spelling my name wrong in the process!!!]

[oh and by the way, that apostrophe in brothers was bugging me so i checked it out on their official site. according to www.brotherspast.com, they are BROTHERS past not "brother's" past.

gee, if i was a band, i'd probably be annoyed my promoter was not only spamming people about me but spelling my name wrong in the process!!!]

Thankyouthankyouthankyou. PalacePrincess for Head Grammarian.

Aloha,

Brad

I think it was Frank Zappa who said something along the lines of, "In order to break the rules effectively, you have to know the rules." Eliminating the spaces between "thank" and "you" gives the feeling of someone speaking the two words, over and over, rapidly, seamlessly, as if the person had so many thanks to give out that they tripped over each as they left the speaker's mouth. In essence, I created a new word, "thankyouthankyouthankyou", whose meaning is essentially a more intense version of the meaning of "thank you".

Either that, or I've some kind of Last Starfighter thing going on, to recruit people for the Apostrophetic Army I'm planning on starting...

Aloha,

Brad

I'm not defending GMP here but I am lost by some folks logic in this thread.

Since folks seem to know Marky does not read these threads & want the emails to stop, as well how he got your email addresses why not post your disapproval & questions in all of his show announcement threads?

Its clear he checks & bumps those and if everyone who wants the emails to cease did that then perhaps he would take notice or perhaps folks could use the 'contact us' link provided within each GMP email sent out & request to be removed from the email list, that what I did and lo & behold the emails stopped!

It also took me less time then writing out this reply.

I'm not defending GMP here but I am lost by some folks logic in this thread.

Since folks seem to know Marky does not read these threads & want the emails to stop, as well how he got your email addresses why not post your disapproval & questions in all of his show announcement threads?

Its clear he checks & bumps those and if everyone who wants the emails to cease did that then perhaps he would take notice or perhaps folks could use the 'contact us' link provided within each GMP email sent out & request to be removed from the email list, that what I did and lo & behold the emails stopped!

It also took me less time then writing out this reply.

I suppose I could respond in one of the threads that has been speculated as being one that the promoters would only look at - those being, their own, the ones they post in a public forum to advance their own interests. But then, I never looked at those threads in the first place, because I wasn't interested in what they were promoting. Which is why it is such a pisser to now have these announcements e-mailed to my (unlisted) gmail account without my permission.

It would seem to me that in order to use a forum such as this effectively, they would have to look further into it than only their own interests to begin to get a clue. And if they don't, ignorance must be bliss, especially when people are frustrated with your practices.

And I'm actually not sure that these people - well-meaning they may be - only look at and concern themselves with their own posts.

As far as responding to the e-mail, I did. It was fun to write that e-mail and I trust I'll never have to write it again.

Sure, it didn't take very long. But neither did it take very long to then come over here and see if anyone else has gotten their personal information ripped off a public forum by someone who, if they had paid attention to this board, or cared, should have known better. This is at least the third time this discussion has come up around here.

Why would I be concerned about GMP's reputation when they have no regard for people's desire to not be spammed? (not saying you questioned that, Greg, just throwing that out there)

This thread is painful to read. I'm associated with Marky, sometimes helping him put on shows, and frequently attending shows that I'm not directly involved in, and know that he's trying hard to make some neat things happen here in my own backyard. He's clearly not the swiftest guy when it comes to web ethics, but hopefully with enough feedback he'll learn. And I guess if he doesn't, another one bites the dust... and I can see the wolves are all ready to move in.

the only beef i have with this assclown is that he pilfers ppls emails and then spams them.

im sure he brings good shows to town, and that rocks!

but he cant do business like this.

BTW this isnt the first bad thing ive heard about marky either, but, i dont personally know him or have even met him so who am i to say

Esau - I totally understand what you're saying, emailing the promoters would get us taken off the mailing list - no problem. But I think an open discussion on this board will bring even more awareness to these promoters.

It's an even harder lesson to learn... with the issue being out in the open on a public forum, I'm sure he'll want to change his ways a lot quicker.

And like Backbacon has expressed... these emails that we are recieving are HUGE! For some, it would actually take less time to come here to rant, then to respond to the email.