Jambands.ca

CUBA kicks some serious ARSE

bouche

I found a really slow computer to drop a post here to let anyone who cares know that we are having a blast in Cuba.

We spent the entire day walking around Varadero's markets and stopped for many Cristal cerveza's along the way. Today, we are going to explore more on scooters.

As soon as we hopped on the bus at the airport, we were presented with Rom Ponche (rum punch) and it hasn't stopped flowing.

There isn't a cloud in the sky today. It's insane. We're debating shipping our house here.

many photos are being taken and I hope to share them all ...

And here I was talking yesterday about upbraiding you if you started finding time to take out of the sun to sit at a computer }:( !

But now that you've started and have whet the appetite, do get some picks up so we can indulge vicariously in the pleasure.

Edited by Guest
Couldn't find appropriate smiley

But now that you've started and have whet the appetite, do get some picks up so we can indulge vicariously in the pleasure.

I read picks as pricks. Really has a different meaning when you read it that way!

Go Ms. Hux and Bouche! Glad you're having a good time. Enjoy the clear skies and sun -- 'tis snowy here.

• 2 weeks later...
what hotel are you at and how would you rate it?(we are looking at the exact same location as a March destination- so we're curious).

Barcelo Solymar. We got tipped by people at work on this one and told it was 4.5 star (or 5 if you compare it to the other 4.5 star resorts). We had 1 veggie and 1 vegan with us and they both did fine. There were a couple of meals that worked out really well for them. We asked about the soup at this one cuban restaurant (a la carte) and he said it was vegetable. No meat. Of course, the base of the soup was made with a chicken. He said (in Tony Montana voice) "no meat. we put da cheeecken een and we take da cheeecken out". It was actually one of the tastiest broths I've ever had.

The Italian restaurant out shined all of our meals, and unfortunately we ate there on the last night. I would recommend booking that place more than once and skip the seafood restaurant. Get t o the buffets EARLY. We were having breakfast at 7:30 some mornigns and it was all much better than at 9:30. The same thing goes for the supper buffets.

Try and do the last minute deals on redtag.ca for your trip. We booked ours 4 days before departure. If we waited one more day we would have saved another 50 clams each.

The cuban currency is called 'convertible pesos'. You can change you CAD at the air port for CUC and they'll charge you with the USD rate plus ANOTHER 10 percent. The rates suck, but that's the way it is.

When you arrive at the varadero airport to come home, be sure to save 25 pesos for airport fees and ANOTHER 20 pesos to buy yourself really fun 3-4 hour VIP treatment. You'll bypass all of the lines and be placed in a lounge area with free booze and snacks (crackers, ham and cheese). Leather couches, and no friggen airport crowds! It was the best 20 pesos we ever spent. Just look for the VIP line, or tell one of the airport staff that you want to go VIP.

Are you going to head into Havana at some point? Check out some jazz cafes if you do.

I'm planning a non-resort trip to Cuba and plan on staying a week in downtown Havana.

You should price it out and see if you can just rent a room in Havana for a few nights but really book an all-inclusive at that Barcelo Solymar. The beach and katamaran trip were seriously paradise. We didn't get to see enough of Havana, but we certainly got a taste of the different flavours of Havana.

Apparantly there are many ways to get a room in Havana that include renting rooms from folk that turned their house into sort of a bed and breakfast.

I've got the number of our Havana guide and I'm hoping to call him soon and get his mailing address. I want to send him some photos, but it might be nice to hook up some Havana info from him as well.

I know you're really just going for some music, but I just want you to understand how goddman gorgueous Varadero is.

http://static.flickr.com/34/72682253_8daee8fbfb.jp

Bring me back a Cuban please. It's the last one I need to complete my latino set.

If you are serious (or anyone else) about the cigars, I have some Montecristos and Cohiba Siglo III for sale. Much cheaper than what you would pay here. PT me if you are interested.

I would like to sell the Cohibas as an unopened box, but I may end up breaking it open if there is enough interest for singles.