Jambands.ca

I Had An Interesting Night Last Night

Jaimoe

I got a call from a co-worker of my fiance Vicki at 10pm last night - Vicki is a bartender at Spirit's Bar & Grill on Church Street in Toronto. [blurb]Every Wednesday for the past 9 years, Spirit's hosts a comedy night. Anyway, Vicki's co-worker said Robin Williams just came in and will be doing a surprise routine in thirty minutes. So, we hopped in my car and got to Spirit's in 10 minutes.[/blurb]

I grabbed a pint at the bar and walked through the dining room door only to be greeted by Robin William's distinctive laugh one foot away from my left ear. Sure enough, there was Robin wearing a green parka, enjoying an amateur's routine.

Vicki's co-worker found us two seats and Robin took the stage shortly after. Man, he was on fire. Jokes about the original Brokeback Mountain: John Wayne and Walter Brennan. Robin's Walter Brennan is one of his best impressions. He tore shreds off of Americans, North Korea, California, Canadian winter and made great fun of one lunatic that sat next to me, who felt obligated to yell at Robin whenever she could.

After his thirty minute mostly improvised comic jam, Robin shook hands with anyone and patted me on the back after I said: "Nice job". He said: "Thanks man, that was a lot of fun".

It's ironic that one of the great comedians and comic actors was friendly and appreciative since most of the comics at Spirit's (and some are very well known in Canada) are bitter, cheap, petty assholes.

MC Jo-Anna Downey told me that Robin will be back in two weeks for another "surprise" visit. I'll be there.

Edited by Guest

There was an article in the Sun yesterday about him popping up at various clubs for impromptu gigs. You can bet teh Rivoli will be packed next week for their weekly show (Monday I think).

I saw Robin Williams at the Hummingbird Centre a few years back - funny show.

Lucky Jaimoe! I'd have loved to have been there. I actually remember lying on the couch one night when I was a kid and happening across the pilot for Mork and Mindy. Funny to think he's been going full-tilt ever since (without, I understand, all that coke in his system). I've always thought he should be beatified for the character he did in The Fisher King.

Tooly: there were 100-120 people in the main dining room area. That's about capacity. No one knew Robin was there until he hit the stage, except the staff and Vicki and I.

Calamity: he was as foul-mouthed as ever, yet his shrewd observations shone through the four-letter words.

• 2 weeks later...

Incidently, since his surprise appearance, Spirit's was packed on comedy night the next Wednesday.

If anyone is planning on heading down tomorrow, get there early. The MC told me Robin would be there tomorrow, but she is pretty nuts and a booze whore. I'd give Robin showing up a 60-40 chance.