Jambands.ca

CTMF REVIEWS!

jay sanislo

Hey folks.

Thanks for such a great time. Anyone who hung in there through the monsoon is a fuckin trooper!! I'm glad that I stuck around. The music was great.

My highlights were BNB (as usual), WTTS (you guys are sounding better and better every time I see you, great energy!)

I also loved the heady vibes all weekend long in the saloon. Comforting. A great place to warm up. Dr. Evil Mouse and crew I loved your "here comes the sun", and "ramble on rose".

Had a great time groovin to the Fatties and Diesel Dog as well. Unfortunately I had to take a bit of a break for JSB (much to my dismay), but my feet were fackin killing me! I have a bum ankle and was worried about doing it right in over the weekend. Lucky for me, it was my "good" ankle that I ended up twisting instead. Now I am balanced out...and equally uncoordinated on both sides.

It was crazy being back up at Ghost Town. So many memories...

Hey did anyone catch the sunset on Sunday night? (Intense...) Also a highlight.

I love my community of skanks. Keep on keepin on!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big thankyou form the Chameelon Project to all who came out and made our set and stay at CTMF as huge success. We had a wicked time playing and jamming in various project thorught the weekend. It was a wet one but the crowd was sturdy and enthusiatic. Can't wait to do it again. Great venue, just need better weather.

:):):):)

logo%2520cp.jpg

Good Times.

I feel properly connected this music scene we have here now that I've played the ghost town.

The sound was solid, the tent was great, the lighting made it happen too.

I have to say that we have an abundance of talented music people in this province and it was a pleasure to see the musicians performing so well and supporting eachother.

We woke on Sunday morning wondering if we were going to make it the 100 yards to the stage or be mired in the mud. We made it and it was great to see the folks file in near the middle of the set. Troopers.

My trippy day-time goal to catch the Fattie's while lifted was met and won't soon be forgot.

See you next time.

Thanks Mr. Wilson for having the drive to put this thing on.

Deeps

No, we didn't get stuck, though I feared the same fate, since we got mired TWICE on the way in. Guess the car was a few beer cases lighter on the way out! :P

mattm: thanks for taking that pic of Dave & I...we don't look too sketched out at all!

edger: it was a real treat meeting you...hope to spend more time with you and Todd over the summer.

Jenny (pass the message TribalStar, please)....absolutely loved boogien' down in my new frock...you rock!

Deeps...glad the set went down well. Sorry it over-lapped with Dave's acoustic gig. I need to get me a full set of WTTS soon!

Man, Dave's saloon set rocked my world (esp the love song which had me in tears!) In addition to the amazing tunes, the added bonus, for those who were there to see it, was watching the man pound back the better half of a 26-er of scotch straight from the bottle, the stage banter getting funnier and funnier!

Despite the weather, one of the best CTMFs yet! Awesome line up (though I'm not sure why Superstack would have closed the fest out - too much rock, not enough roll... special guests and high-energy dance floor made it quite a bit easier to swallow). Jimmy Swift was a definite highlight for me... though they were tired from travelling straight from Quebec, their set was tighter than Ari's hair and not nearly as over-powered as the last couple of times I've seen them. BNB fucking killed it rock star style... seeing Gavin up on that riser with all the lights and everything was awesome!!!

I think most folks were pretty blown away with Slow Coaster as well. They played a crazy set filled with all kinds of two-tone, rock and their usual wacky psychedelia (Cats are gathering outside my window, dinosaur fishsticks, etc). I have to admit, the "Monster Jam" afterward was torturous in comparison. Nice to see Mary play a little early-morning ditty though.. lovely way to greet a new day.

Super-awesome crowd this year... folks were in constant good spirits despite being soaked and freezing... we even survived snow! Party supplies seemed readily available and the vending area was great. Congrats on the bong raffle QQC'est (even though it should have been mine). Thanks to you and Sari for keeping up the mid-point fire and shelter.

Good to see so many fine skanks out for the fun (esp. Kaidy May who made a special appearance) and to meet so many newbies... I've no idea if any of you are on this board or not. (I was the one walking around with the severed torso of "Monica, the punk-whore from New York").

Good times, good times indeed! :)

hey mattm' date=' thanks for that picture of me! I am pretty sure I remember when you took that...I think...[/quote']

Which one is you?

2nd picture down, guy on the right

I should have put that in purple but it just doesn't have the same effect. ;)

What a great time , the weather was rebelious ,I remember the time a few years back when it snowed it seem alot colder then .That being said , the following year it was beautiful , to that end Mark W said , "this weather is for the folks who made it through the cold weekend the year before ." Since then we have been shined upon with pretty good weather .So if the weather pattern is cyclical all of us should have nice sunny CTMF's in the future.

All kinds of that a'boy pats for those who made it through the entire weekend.What a blast .

Sorry we had to jet Deb. I had to take Chrissy home. His strep throat came back and he was in no shape to take on another day.

Promise that we will make the next one and will be there is full force. It's our anniversary July 1st weekend!!

We had a awesome time less the rain, snow and death metal campers on the other side of the rock fence. Caught Daves set in the Saloon and it was warming in more ways then one.

We're feeling a little rough down this way today. Who would have thought that sharing bodily fluids with strangers and sleeping in the cold and wet could have led to a cough and head cold? Deb; I'm going to kick your ass when I see you next. So much for believing that the Scotch (or was it the Absinthe) would have safely killed your squeeky-voice germs on the bottle.

I have great memories of the weekend though! The Saloon was every bit as magical as I remember it. Caution Jam were tearing it up in there on the first night until some wanna-be special-ops type decided to physically stop the band from playing. What gives? I thought the whole point was that if we were in the Saloon things were cool? The band played much later on the last night (7am or so), so I don't really understand what happened that night.

I thought that Jomomma were one of the main-stage high-lights. Paul's playing an acoustic guitar now and I thought it was a welcome sound in the mix. The cover of Ramble On was absolutely spot on and made me quiver inside. We made mental notes to get out and see these guys more often.

Mark Wilson was absolutely great as he and the Brantford boys (Steve, Joel, Geoff (sp?), et all) consistently are. One of the most underappreciated bands in the whole scene in my opinion. Great players, great songwriters, great people.

Burt Neilson Band were great like they always are too. Gavin sitting up top of the pedistal was awesome. So much focus in his playing. Very impressive.

The Fat Cats tore the roof off the tent and no doubt should have been headlining the entire weekend. I looked around during every band to see how many people were there watching, how many people were smiling uncontrolably, and how many people were dancing like no one was watching. As usual, the Fat Cats in the tent and the Caution Jam in the Saloon were winners of my informal observation.

What The Thunder Said played an excellent set. The First Tube cover (my absolute favourite Phish song) was played to perfection. These guys get better each time I see them and I look forward to what the future holds for them. Steve's bass playing was dead-on and the guitar work constantly impressed me. (Never mind that guitar - drool.)

Diesel Dog in the Saloon was just that. Don't know what I mean? Well, think about it: It was Diesel Dog in the Saloon. AND they had special guest Mark Crissinger sitting in with them on rhythm guitar. (Mark was the Warren Haynes of the CTMF festival!)

I thought that the closing Saloon band (Superstack?) were quite enjoyable but to be honest, there were SO many guest musicians (Dave Hill on bass, Ryan Morrison on keys, Mark Crissinger on guitar, Craig Mercer on drums, Aaron Collier on keys (I think), et cetera) that it was hard to tell what the band were like normally. I wouldn't trade it for the world though: I danced my ass off with a tonne of my friends and stood several feet away from a Canadian jamband super-jam in the Saloon. It's hard to beat that.

That's all for now. I need to relax and get ready to watch the Oilers take game three tonight.

Love and peace,

\/\/

Willy....I'm terribly sorry to inform you....I actually got even sicker, if you can believe it! Still NO voice...not even a squeeky-cute one....horrible racking cough and total head/nose congestion. Not sure what kinda super bug this is, but it's taken me down. Here's hoping you're a stronger man than I am :P

permission to ass-kick is granted. But whose idea was the bottle-sharing anyway? I'm sure I'm innocent...I'm just a wee inexperienced thing, so very easily influenced...anything presented in kindness goes down the gullet.

(BTW... a HUGE thank you here to Sarah & Korey for that Sunday treat! Love you crazies so much!)

and Will...please, please tell me you packed my orange hoola hoop which I left leaning on the van???? Miss you & Leanne already! Be well until the next time.

love & hugs

Did anyone end up getting stuck on the way out? Thankfully Todd had the jeep in high gear, so that was not a problem for us. I'm sure that he was happy to hear me have to eat my own tree-huggin, gas-guzzlin rhetoric.

yep. i have a fuel sipping toyota that came with really wide tires that as it turns out totally suck in melted peanut butter mud. some of the kw folks got pictures of rick towing me to higher ground. i'm proud that the first time that car was towed it was by a tractor :) next year i'm putting my snow tires on for the weekend...

it was great. my first bnb show (i know...but i get it now :) ) caution jam friday night, friends of hefner, mark wilson, and getting to play in front of the friendliest, most forgiving audience that we've ever played to. no wonder people can't stop talking about ghost town...if only the weather hadn't been so mostly sucky.

Willy....I'm terribly sorry to inform you....I actually got even sicker, if you can believe it! Still NO voice...not even a squeeky-cute one....horrible racking cough and total head/nose congestion. Not sure what kinda super bug this is, but it's taken me down. Here's hoping you're a stronger man than I am :P

Who the hell thought that voice was "cute"?! Nice try lady. I was at the, "horrible racking cough and total head/nose congestion," part last night. I'm a little better now. I'm sure I'll be fine by tomorrow.

and Will...please, please tell me you packed my orange hoola hoop which I left leaning on the van???? Miss you & Leanne already! Be well until the next time.

No, sadly I didn't pack your orange hula hoop but I did pack my orange hula hoop that Brian left leaning against my van. I recall him saying he left one leaning there for me. I also figured out how to do it on my second shot. I think those big ones are easier than the smaller ones. :D

It can't be long until we party again can it? I mean, it's summer time now isn't it?!

Any word on how Dr_Evil_Mouse and his Finger of Immaculate Health Insurance did on the weekend?

CJ and I were listening to the Secret Policeman's Other Ball on the way in, and that line from Neil Innes, when he introduces one of his tunes, kept coming back to me - "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn." :D

In point of fact, Mark C. came to my timely (and how-the-fuck-do-you-play-like-that way :) ) rescue Friday night right at that point in the set when my teeth couldn't take any more grinding, and a great big bottle of Bell's, as I think CJ alluded to, carried me the rest of the way on Sunday for the acoustic stage. Phew, I say.

What is it about friends, music, and intoxicants medication that can make you feel so happy, even after the elements seem to have gone out of the way to remind you how squishy we are as organisms?

Speaking of which, Matt, how's that toe?

CJ and I were listening to the Secret Policeman's Other Ball on the way in, and that line from Neil Innes, when he introduces one of his tunes, kept coming back to me - "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn." :D

Well the prophets of doom

Can always find room

In a world full of trouble and fear

Tipped cigarettes

And chemistry sets

And Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Rain on a tin roof

Sounds like a drum

We're marching for freedom

Today...

Aloha,

Brad

Hey did anyone catch the sunset on Sunday night? (Intense...) Also a highlight.

DSC01690.jpg

Intense Indeed!

I like this one, looks like I caught my friend Rich red handed, as he is running away, after blazin' up the forest :P

DSC01693.jpg

this was taken at around 8am sunday...

DSC01639.jpg

Sunday in the tent:

Jomomma

DSC01647.jpg

Fatties (My music highlight out of the bands I caught)

DSC01682.jpg

DSC01687.jpg

the last night was apon us...

DSC01679.jpg

JSB

DSC01705.jpg

DSC01711.jpg

warmed my bones by the fire before Saloon time

DSC01721.jpg

DSC01733.jpg

Rick the owner

DSC01758.jpg

D.D. sounded so great in the saloon!!!

DSC01756.jpg

this beast looked way too fun!

DSC01675.jpg

DSC01677.jpg

ghost? not sure? :P

DSC01749.jpg

Glad I made it...to spite mothernature, tryin to hold us all back...we showed her :P

2nd time at the ghost town...such a magical place !!!

Missed Friday night unforunately...wanted to see harvard mouse and caution jam ...

Calamity Jane ... maybe I crossed paths with you

cause I am down and out...that same monster of a cold has gotten me and is holding on tight...

but a cheap price to pay for the fun I had this weekend!

Great partying with all the skanks I got too..and the new ones I got to meet..your all so great !!!