Jambands.ca

CTMF REVIEWS!

jay sanislo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stink like camp fire.

The campground is really cool. The saloon is wicked...I loved the swinging doors. My only complaint is that it was waaaay to small for comfort. I dont think it could even hold 100 people. The first night even more so because there were couches all over the place.

Music highlights:

-my first harvard mouse show

-Caution Jam closing friday night. Holy shit balls. I believe ryan(?) from Diesel Dog sat in on keys

-Burt, my first show since Labour day, a wicked set of both new and old. Speedbump encore kicked ass!

-slowcoaster closing saturday night was great, but i couldn't move in the crowd. there was some numb-nuts dancing like a mad fool, falling into people. I think mattm sustained damage which ended his weekend...<<<<<>>>>>>>

-sunday was an intense day...it snowed over night and was pissing rain until lunch time. Drinking ensued. 5pm Jomomma, more beer, 7pm fatties, more beer, 8pm JSB...my ride left soon after, missed diesel dog.

Nice meeting some skanks...afropoppa was hard to miss...mattm...calamity jane, evilmouse, fairysari, smoothshreder...'twas fun people!!

Lauzon + slowcoaster at PJC on thursday was really neat. dave played to a practically empty house. I should have the recording up in the near future.

Plaskett tommorw!!

Oh yes, I forgot that I saw alexis at both PJC and frontier town.

I also forgot to note that JSB opened with Supertramp's "Fools Overture"...I quite enjoyed it.

Brad, it was my first recording (iriver hp-120), and the mics and battery box were Larryllama's. LL recorded the surly young bucks at the casbah the night before and one of the connections in the box became loose. Basically if you touched the battery box at all, one of the chanels would cut out. Good news and bradm news: Dave's set came out well. I think. It needs to be mastered but its all there save for last 15 seconds where i touched the battery box and one of the chanels cut out. Slowcoaster's set was not as fortunate - We didn't have headphones to monitor the recording. The whole first set was recorded, but the battery box cut out and one of the chanels was clipping the entire time. It can be salvaged if you can deal with it being mono. After realizing at setbreak what had happened, we went home to get shut-eye for come together.

Some unfortunate news about thursday; I found out that Devon no longer plays drums. Also Darren was not in attendence for this show.

edit to add: the battery box is fixed and i will have another practice run tommorw for plaskett

Edited by Guest

Sadly enough, I was there only for one night... but what a night... I've seen Slowcoaster a few times now, and have liked them, but that night in the Saloon until god knows what time, they rocked my world... cheers to you guys, and the rest of you nuts too.

Boy, that was fun (and wet).

And windy!! We'd bought a bug/rain canopy sort of affair that got blown apart the first night, and then the wind kept on coming. But you couldn't have hoped for a more beautiful day on Saturday, and Sunday was a great day for being all sketched and thawing out by the stove in the saloon. I now understand something of the nostalgia that people talk about Frontiertown with.

Damn, what a fine weekend. It was great to see people again, and to put new faces to old names. I loved having had the chance have Mark Crissinger jump into the Mouse fray and bring all that energy and jaw-dropping musicianship to that thing that we do. In point of fact, I felt completely musically spoiled through the whole weekend - all the bands we saw kicked it up high and beyond, and, in my favourite phrase of the weekend, totally delivered.

And speaking as someone who's had to deal with nail crisis all week: MattM, I nearly broke down in tears when I saw your foot - please make that thing better soon! I understand that it was all in service of an honourable cause (hinted at above). Thanks for fighting the good fight, and may good karma vibes, as it were, reach you directly :).

So same thing next weekend, right?

yea mattm, the first night when you had your friends leave you and take your beer with...and then when I heard about your foot...too bad man, I hope its all better.

So amazing meeting everyone from the board and getting a chance to dance up a storm with them was unreal.

So same thing next weekend, right?

I'm down.

thawing out by the stove in the saloon. I now understand something of the nostalgia that people talk about Frontiertown with.

I felt this from the moment i stepped through the double doors...A few skanks and i got a fire going friday afternoon inside while it poured rain outside ...and a little inside. It was cold, dark, damp, maybe a little too quiet at first but really started to build from there. The Harvard Mouse set was treat with MC stepping in on lead. I'm sure the good Dr. Evil appreciated a bit of a rest in that catagory. As a band we really couldn't ask for a more appreciative group of heads to play for. Thanks for a great time to everyone I met, from Rick, our gracious host to Mattm as well as what I'll just call the 'Willies' for now in reference to all the cats hanging out past the second tree line in the eastback 40. And a very big thank you to Mark Wilson once again for sharing his heart with us and putting together one of the finest collections of people and their joys this side of the next long weekend....All hats off!!

cheers and go placidly amid the noise and haste.

So amazing meeting everyone from the board and getting a chance to dance up a storm with them was unreal.

yes indeedy...though I guess we shouldn't have been so LITERAL about it!!!! I'm grateful for the little bit of sun we had on Saturday!

I had a wicked weekend with everybody....CTMF is really feels like "coming home"....there are some of youse freaks we get to see way less than we'd like.

peace, love and gratitude to all the musicians....you help us get our groove on!

mattm....your ripped off toenail certainly sobered me up for a piece! I really hope it heals quickly and that you'll still wanna come to another fest!

still no voice for me yet, btw,.....so read all the above in that squeaky thing that was coming outta me all weekend!

Wooo hooo, fun times. Hurt a bit but that's all good. Just for the record, we didn't actually take off due to my little foot injury, more a mix of a bunch of things like having to get a good sleep before work and such. Thanks to those that helped me out and for all the good vibes up above. A little foot injury doesn't deter me from shows in the least and if I have the money, I'll be at the labour day party as well. There'd have to be some pretty hard core negative vibes running around to kill a great atmosphere such as a bunch of hippies getting together for fun times.

d_d-ctmf06.jpg

afro-ctmf06.jpg

crissinger-ctmf06.JPG

hm01-ctmf06.jpg

me-ctmf06.JPG

More to come.

Overall I had a blast. I kinda missed not being there for sunday night and JSB but did get to see some great bands which was nice.

Frontier Town: Fucking right!!!, what a place. Anyway, I could go on and on but I think I already bored everyone I talked to there about how much I was loving the place.

The Bands: I'm not going to review them. They rocked. Too bad the army looking dudes stopped the overnight jam at 4 am (I mean, by that time if anyone was annoyed, it was kinda late to really do anything anyway).

Peace to all. I'll post all my pics once I get a chance. My cam had some technical difficulties at one point (hahaha, actually I think it was my brain filled with too much shit that had the technical difficulties cause the cam seems fine now).

[edit] Just a little note to mention that I met quite a few of you from here but I'm having a hard time associating faces with names (except willy and afro poppa because of their hair). It was neat though. I think there were a few skanks there that I didn't meet, though. Oh well, next time.[/edit]

later,

Edited by Guest

got your report card, yeah, i think your failing i'll give u a blue star badge after u tell me the secret to the world. Fuck u and the horse u rode in on, if anybody finds my raindrop sweater, its got thunder clouds on the back of it. Polish secret perogie dog food bowls.