Jambands.ca

Don't Steal from the Staff Fridge

Sunshine

holy crap guys ---- I'd put money on the fact that the woman who put the toilet water in the bottles DID NOT do it with the intention of causing any actual bodily harm........only to drive the fact home that it was a shitty thing to do (no pun intended)

ecoli and whatnot probably didn't even cross her mind...

don't get me wrong - I think just putting the note that it was toilet water rather than actually using toilet water is the better option but

thanks for the entertainment though of all this freaking arguing about it.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salt in the water - or vinegar - now that would be funny.

Even better: some kind of mechanism (maybe involving clear carbonated soda and Mentos stashed under the cap) that would cause the water to erupt in foam and spray. This would also help identify the thief...

Aloha,

Brad

imagine how it would look in court if the person who stole the water was suing the the person who put toilet water in the bottle for making them sick.

i could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the the person who got sick from the water would win in a second

Actually, I agree with Jared.

That being said, I still think it's really funny.

they sell this clrea powder you can sprinkle on stuff then if people touch it, and there hands get wet it turns into purple dye that doens't come. there are a few stores that sell it for like $5 for a jar.

why not just try that? or like i said earlier, write your name in the bottle and then go look for whoever is drinking it

Guest Low Roller

This topic is nuts.

Is this workplace of yours an office Sunshine? If so, thieving is typically seen as a pretty serious offence in an office and should be reported to Human Resources.

Additionally, vigilante justice is also seen pretty poorly, so if word got out I suggest that said perpetrator should also be 'talked to' by HR. I'm guessing that most people in the 'eye for an eye' camp have never worked in an office, or have limited experience in such an environment. This ain't high school kids.

If I were in this situation I would definitely try to find out who the crook is, and then report him to HR. That's why they are there.

i find it really friggin' funny that the words "vigilante justice" are being thrown around, in their most serious form, in this thread!!!

what is the world coming to? all she did was fill up a bottle with toilet bowl water! you guys are too serious... i don't think this should warrant running down to the principal's office. maybe this girl isn't the tattletale sort ??? maybe she didn't think the theft of a bottle of water was worth getting someone all wrapped up in a HR ordeal for. maybe she googled it and found a pretty funny way to get back at the perpetrator. sure, there's probably a one in a cajillion chance that the guy could have gotten sick from the toilet water, but c'mon!!! live a little!

there's a greater chance you'll walk outside at any given moment, a car will spin ridiculously out of control in your work parking lot and will slide into you and over top of you and kill you. c'mon. toilet water in the bottle with a little GOTCHA note is funny.

Guest Low Roller

If these sorts of things aren't regulated and controlled by Human Resources, then things would just devolve into petty fueds...

What we really need here is a man that knows how to deal with these kinds of problems... A man who is not afraid to confront the problem head on... This man is Terry Tate: Office Linebacker.

I just read this whole thread, and I see that Booche specifically wanted to know how this thief would do in Court; if he sued the person who put toilet water in the bottles.

Okay, first, caselaw on contaminated drinks almost invariably involves a person throwing up for a day or so, and that's it. Damages are very nominal, as there is no ongoing condition; like one to three thousand dollars. (In this case, though, there could be increased damages as "aggravated" damages, because of the unusually reckless behaviour. I doubt it would reach the level of "punitive" damages, though, which are rare in Canada for little torts like this.)

In this case, would the thief win? I'd say yes. It does not come down to intentionally trying to make someone sick, though, as BradM suggested. Rather, it comes down to "foreseeability". (There are two different types of torts, intentional and negligent, and this would probably be the latter.) Whoever contaminated the water bottles could easily have foreseen that it was possible someone would get sick as a result; whether it be the thief or someone else who accidentally drank the water.

Now, what about the thief? Well that person had every reason to believe that drinking the stolen water would not cause illness. That person had already drank several bottles of water from the fridge in prior days without incident, so it seemed reasonable to assume that the bottle in the fridge that day would not cause injury.

The person who contaminated the water could plead "voluntary assumption of risk", but I would suggest that defence would fail (see paragraph immediately above). The person who contaminated the water could also counter-sue for the value of the items stolen, and have that amount "set off" against any damages payable by that person to the thief, but given that it was toilet water I expect that damages would be 0.00.

Judgment: For the plaintiff/thief.

Booche you're cracking me up!! This is baiting of the highest quality.

Clearly the theif deserves Chinese water torture treatment, in which water is slowly dripped onto the water thief's forehead, one drop at a time.

"The victim can almost predict when the next drop will fall and a sense of tension builds up. When the drop finally does fall, a sense of shock and relief follows, only to be replaced with more tension about the next drop. The release of tension (no matter how small it is) prevents the victim from withdrawing inside himself."

Sounds more like a Type B jam!