Jambands.ca

QOTD: do you believe in UFOs/aliens?

MarcO

A thread on another board inspired me to start this one here.

Do you believe in UFOs? And, by extension, aliens?

I am an extremely sceptical person when it comes to paranormal activity. I believe our evolutionary processes of cognition as a species can make us have shared hallucinations, to feel spectres or "ghosts", or simply to feel the presence of "God". It is a trick our species plays upon itself.

But when it comes to extraterrestrial considerations, I am somewhat less prone to a general dismissal. In my case, two people I have known in my life - good, solid, sober, sane friends, one now around 30, the other pushing 70 - have claimed to have seen UFOs. In the one case, it was fleeting but unmistakably abnormal. In the other, it was said the spaceship arrived quickly and hovered over them for some time before disappearing in the blink of an eye. I recall being a child and having this man and his wife (our neighbours at the time, and my parent's closest friends) draw pictures of what he, and several other carloads of people along Brock Road near Flamboro, saw that night.

So what do you think? Do you believe in the potential existence of aliens? And do you believe that at least some UFO "sightings" are legit (I am sure the proclivity towards fraud is irresistable in this area)?

Do I believe there things people see in the sky that they can't identify (in other words, unidentified flying objects)? Yes.

Do I believe there's life on other worlds? Yes.

Do I believe beings from other worlds are visiting the Earth? No.

Aloha,

Brad

I'm not 100% sure I believe in valid UFO sightings.

I do believe 100% there is alien life out there somewhere. It just may be they can't travel too far like ourselves. There are just so many planets out there I'd think lifeforms could have developed somewhere else.

i think i was having this conversation just the other day on my deck. i'm a believer.

i reason that there must be some sort of species out there that is more capable than human beings (the whole food chain idea where there is always a stronger species).. and i question why we can be so skeptical when we ourselves have the ability to visit objects/whatever in outerspace. if i can fathom walking on a different planet, why can't i fathom someone from that different planet walking on earth?

plus after having that conversation on my deck the other day, i now know two people who claim to have seen something out of the ordinary in the sky. and i don't think they're lying.

I personally think that any "alien" would be so different to us that we may not even be able to recognize it as a lifeform, due to our very narrow, culturaly, evolutionary, planetary definition of what life is.

at the same time I have had some experiences with "UFO"'s. be them alien or not.. I couldn;t identify what they were.

Edited by Guest

seen some things I can't explain that lean towards that direction... but as stated, can't explain em

seems pretty elitist to assume we're the only planet in all the universe(s) that managed to come up with life... figure there's probably something or someone somewhere else looking up at their sky wondering if there's anyone else out there... if aliens have traveled here its easy to picture we're (and the other species of the planet) more of an anthropological interest to them than anything else

Edited by Guest
aliens

I'd echo Brad's thoughts...

unidentified flying objects---yes

other life forms on other planets---yes

aliens visiting earth---NO

Would either of you care to elaborate? If you believe that they are out there (and it does seem silly not to admit the possibility), then why don't you believe that these life forms might be checking out Earth?

I'd echo Brad's thoughts...

unidentified flying objects---yes

other life forms on other planets---yes

aliens visiting earth---NO

Would either of you care to elaborate? If you believe that they are out there (and it does seem silly not to admit the possibility)' date=' then why don't you believe that these life forms might be checking out Earth?

[/quote']

There's a big difference between "might be" and "are." Yes, I believe they might be, but I've seen no evidence that they are.

For them to be visiting here requires a whole flock of things, each of which has a vanishingly small possibility of being true: their wanting to get here (i.e., to select us as a location to visit), their ability to get here (and back home, presumably), their ability to be here without being discovered, and so on. I, for one, would love conclusive evidence that life on other worlds existed (let alone that we were being visited), but I have yet to see this evidence.

Aloha,

Brad

I wish that theyd swoop down in the country lane late at night when Im driving

Take me onboard their beautiful ship show me the world as Id love to see it

Id tell all my friends but they'd never believe me

Theyd think that I'd finally lost it completely

I'd show them the stars and the meaning of life they'd shut me away

But I'd be all right

I'm just uptight

Didn't know what time it was, the lights were low

I leaned back on my radio

Some cat was layin' down some rock'n'roll lotta soul, he said

Then the loud sound did seem to fade

Came back like a slow voice on a wave of phase

That weren't no D.J. that was hazy cosmic jive

There's a starman waiting in the sky

He'd like to come and meet us

But he thinks he'd blow our minds

There's a starman waiting in the sky

He told us not to blow it

'Cause he knows it's all worthwhile

He told me:

Let the children lose it

Let the children use it

Let all the children boogie

I had to phone someone so I picked on you

Hey, that's far out so you heard him too!

Switch on the TV we may pick him up on channel two

Look out your window I can see his light

If we can sparkle he may land tonight

Don't tell your poppa or he'll get us locked up in fright

When i get home from work, what do i do?

I try to kill you!

When i get home from work, what do i do?

I try to kill you!

And why would i try to kill you?

Because you're a...

Big black furry creature from mars

When we go out to eat, what do i do?

I try to kill you!

When we go out to eat, what do i do?

Oh, i am killing you!

Now why would i go and do that?

Because you're a...

I'm runnin, i'm runnin from you

I'm runnin, i'm runnin!

And what causes me to run?

Cause you're a...

I believe there is other intelligent life out there. It's totally plausible that there are civilizations out there that are hundreds of thousands of years more advanced than we are... We are just a crude civilization of ants, along the side of an interstellar super highway.

All ancient civilizations on earth seem to have reported seeing ufo's in the sky, it's reported in art and literature all over the place.

ancientastronauts.jpg

crucifixion1350.jpg

ufochase2.jpgufocase1350.jpg

I really believe that there is some sort of connection between extraterrestrials and some of the more advanced civilizations, like the Egyptians and Myans. The pyramid loving folks... What about the Nazca lines? Those aren't for us...

I honestly think it won't be long now before one way or another we find out the real deal with all these ufo, alien sightings, and abductions that have been going on for years, and are increasing.

The whole ufo phenomena has been going on since about the mid-40's, in our current civilization. This coincides with the use of WMD's, which could be detected from space. Or maybe a sign that we are ready... For what, who knows... Maybe earth is just a war colony and we are practicing for the big deal.

So yeah, call me crazy but I really do think something else is out there, and is keeping tabs on us. Life came to earth from somewhere else, I think. The big questions are where do they come from, and why are they interested in us...

My latest theory is that all the stars in our universe are just a distraction. There may be nothing out there. It seems infinte. But it could be that there are other universes, and more advanced beings have figured out how to travel between universes.

One other thought since we are on this topic...

I've been doing a little 'light' reading about Crowley and the creature called "Lam" that he supposedly opened up a portal and summoned. It's pretty interesting stuff actually, whether it's fiction or not I have no idea. But what has really got me interested is the resemblance between Lam and our Grey aliens of modern times. Lam is a very similar looking creature, but at the time Crowley allegidly summoned this creature we had not yet seen Grey aliens. Another interesting thing was that apparently Jack Parsons and L. Ron Hubbard opened this same portal to summon a Lam, but didn't have the skills to close it, and it may still be open to this day. Could this be the source of modern day Grey alien sightings? Maybe our grey aliens are demons or whatever from another dimension. Here's a sketch of what Crowley allegedly summoned:

Lam.jpg

Edited by Guest

Oh yeah, one more thing...

In recent weeks Buzz Aldrin has announced to the public that the US gov't is hiding and covering up information about extraterrestrials. And that they had seen ufo's on their moon mission. Although last week he recanted... I can't imagine why?? (cough cough big brother cough cough).