Jambands.ca

My new band needs a new name

TheGoodRev

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what an overwhelming response. To clarify:

- Welfare Mothers and Sedan Delivery are both Neil Young tunes, from the Rust Never Sleeps record

- I think I can get away with naming the band after a Neil tune without being a cover band because, well, there's a moderately successful band out there called Powderfinger (another Neil tune from the same album), and another called Aqualung (a Jethro Tull record/song)

- Junior Achiever is already a band

- We were originally going to be the Urban Achievers (the name is a reference to the Big Lebowski) but found out there was a band with the same name from Chicago who had taken all the good web domains

- The Others Disagree and Brocolli are both good ones, I might consider them

- Come on, nobody likes Sedan Delivery? I think that's the best bet

We're not a groovy hippy band. We're a no-bullshit Crazy Horse-style rock band with healthy doses of Canadian roots-rock and Southern rock. Sedan Delivery still gets my vote. Please, continue with your suggestions, and thank you.

isn't creating a band name / persona / identifier one of the key things in the creative process? why wouldn't you want to keep hold of that nice and tight to the vest?

I doubt Robert Zimmerman put an ad in the paper saying hey, give me a cool name...

just a thought.

I think Sedan Delivery is limiting. I've never been a fan of band names that are simply song titles.

I'd put The Welfare Mothers in the same category as Special Ed & The Musically Challenged, both being unprofessional and offensive.

As far as any useful input goes, I got nothing; I'll think about it.

isn't creating a band name / persona / identifier one of the key things in the creative process? why wouldn't you want to keep hold of that nice and tight to the vest?

I doubt Robert Zimmerman put an ad in the paper saying hey, give me a cool name...

just a thought.

Point taken. I suppose I was just looking to see whether I had any support for Sedan Delivery or the Welfare Mothers.

No support for Errin'?

Other than my little play on words, there, I'd need to hear the band before making suggestions.

I agree, though, that I am not a fan of song-names for a band. I would assume that a band called "Sedan Delivery" was a full-on cover band. If you're not, don't use a name like that. If you are; don't expect to go too far as a band, other than playing little gigs to local Neil-fans.