Jambands.ca

Question re: Furthur Festival (Toronto, 1997 - Molson Amp)

M

Does anyone know what the full line-up was for this show? I'm archiving my ticket stubs and can't seem to find online the listing of who played this.

I think it was Ratdog, Black Crowes, but need the full list.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback guys; this helps.

I think Bobby was listed as Ratdog on this tour, right?

Anyways, once I'm done my "master list" I'll post it here. Might spark some good memories of concerts gone by that folks can share!

I've got some pretty good pics from that show. Got some moe. and Hornsby up close since nobody was in there at that point (it was a work day and all ) Then a security guy freaked because I had a telephoto lens. Said fuck it, and packed away the camera.

Arlo was the MC wasn't he? Bobby was Ratdog at the time and Wasserman was still performing with him.

The next day, moe. did a Monkeys On Ecstasy gig at their old haunt, Broadway Joe's in Buffalo. Big Wolly Mammoth and I went and had a blast. Man, did it go late :)

Here's Chuck from that gig:

chuck.jpg

That was a great show. Ratdog was Bobby and Wasserman. I remember the all star encore consisted of Bobby coming out to sing Jailhouse Rock with the Crowes. Then a couple do the guys from moe. came out to play the Harder they Come and Easy to Slip.

Anyways the complete line-up was

The Black Crowes

Ratdog

Mickey Hart & Planet Drum

Bruce Hornsby

Jorma Kaukonen w/Michael Falzaarano

moe.

Sherri Jackson

hosted by Arlo Guthrie (I remember that he also sang the City of New Orleans)

Great show. I also remember all of the tapers taking down all of the mics after Ratdog and leaving because they didn't seem to care about the Crowes. Attendance was very low, the worst I have ever seen at Molson Amp. They opened up the entire venue to be GA. I hope this helps.

i was there too.. my first live GD experience. That was fun show... but i couldn't help but wonder if everyone was still talking about Jerry's Death and that impact on the scene ... but there were some really tripped out cats there... and I liked the Crowes live show better than Ratdog. Looking forward to hearing about your master list, I know it will be impressive!

That was the second Furthur tour right? I remember it quite well. Bobby was there with Ratdog (and yes including Wasserman) and he did a song or two with the Black Crowes, and I remember he looked a bit irritated with the lead singer throwing his arm around Bobby. Arlo did MC. I think Jorma played with Electric Hot Tuna (if I remember right)?

The first Furthur tour was even worse for everyone just missing Jerry. It was weird, because you got down to whatever American city you were in (I don't think that one came to Toronto as I recall) and saw all these deadheads and familiarity, and got all pumped for the show ... and went inside and no Grateful Dead. It was just weird and depressing. The second one was less so, but similar.

Those tours were necessary transitional stuff, but just weird and somewhat depressing at the time. Overall, I remember it being bitter-sweet, to the point that I can't say I have the best of memories of those two tours.

I think I was hanging out with Weirdness, recording that show in 1997.

I went to 3 or 4 Further Fests in 96. I couldn't let go of the "dead experience", but I certainly wouldn't say that this came even close to the little taste I got in the early 90's.

My favourite thing about the Fests was the hornsby action. My least favourite thing, and it still sticks to me to this day, was Mickey Heart completely butchering Fire on the Mountain with his Diva wireless gear.

Agreed. It was really not a Grateful Dead experience at all. It was more like the antithesis to a Grateful Dead experience. (I remember feeling a little sick to my stomach at all the shows I saw in 96, reeling from the loss of the GD.)

And, ya, Mickey learned his lesson in 96, I think, but I actually had a recording of that weird rappy Fire On The Mountain from many years before that, so it wasn't anything new. The recording ended with an old man saying, "Do you remember that old band we were in called the Dreadful Great? Something like that." I think Furthur 96 may have been the first time he tried it on a live GD crowd, though; and last.

I am sure I still have an analog recording of Ratdog, but it is on cassette and currently with LeshLush in Alberta, in a long queue of tapes to be digitized.

Feel free to PT him and convince him to move those tapes to the front of the line. If you're successful, and he sends me my tape on a disc, I'll send you copies.

Further was often pretty clunky times, a taste of the Dead show feel but there was definately a chink in the magic... some good parties and it came together here and there and all but you could really feel the band barely hanging on, almost going through the motions... didn't see the sad and awkward fully lift until 2002 or with the last leg of The Other Ones tour (woohoo Auburn Hills!)

I need some Phil

all that said loved The Black Crowes crazy lightening storm set at Darien that year

1997 Further Fest roster

Ratdog with Bob Weir and Rob Wasserman

Mickey Hart and Planet Drum

Bruce Hornsby

The Black Crowes

Arlo Guthrie

Jorma Kaukonen and Michael Falzarano

Sherri Jackson

moe

12012002_154.jpg

Auburn Hills, Nov. 30, 2002

I have a pretty good DAUD2 of the Crowes set with some Dog filler. Great day out in the sunshine. Loads of kids who used to frequent this board went down with me in a cargo van with blankets and beer in the back from Waterloo.

The Crowes set was littered with covers including two or three Stones songs (HAPPY!!!!!), and the weird Elvis sing along.

I remember the highlight was AL and Chuck from moe. sitting in with Bobby for help-slip-franklin's.

Unless you're referring to Weir sitting in with moe for those tunes, Ratdog did not play Help->Slip->Franks in 1997.