Jambands.ca

FACK! We're theft victims!

Ms.Huxtable

So tonight we had the lovely Steven Franke over for dinner. After dinner we get in our swim suits and robes and head out to the hot tub. We open it up and "What the fack? No water?!?!? How does this even happen?"

So Mike investigates and walks around the tub only to find that someone has broken all the trim boards apart, clipped a huge electrical cable, unscrewed a pipe and stolen our whole circut board! We just had it replaced less than 3 months ago and it cost us $700.00.

Who the fack would do that?

They left our snow blower, BBQ, bikes, everything. They were specifically after this piece and knew exactly which side of the tub to break into and must have been pretty certain that we had a GFI before attempting to cut a live wire like that.

Our insurance deductable is $1000.00 so it looks like the repair is coming from our pockets.

Jesus Christ. What a sick feeling I have. Not sure I'll sleep well tonight.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who the fack would do that?

They left our snow blower, BBQ, bikes, everything. They were specifically after this piece and knew exactly which side of the tub to break into and must have been pretty certain that we had a GFI before attempting to cut a live wire like that.

Damn that really sucks, sorry that happened to you guys.

I wonder if someone saw the detailed pictures Mike posted here a few months back when troubleshooting the problem? Maybe it's just paranoia but you never know who lurks.

Guest Low Roller

Either that, or you did mention that you just got the part replaced. Obviously the people that replaced it knew it was there and how to get to it.

Paranoia sucks. Don't let this ruin how you think day-to-day.

Sorry for the loss. It could have been worse:

They left our snow blower, BBQ, bikes, everything.

That totally sucks. Sorry to hear it.

First thing I thought of is what Low Roller said ... the people who installed the board 3 months ago. They know the value, where to get at it, etc. Are there any other hot tub service providers in your area? Maybe they figure you'll just call them up and have them "fix" it again, and they'll charge you to put in the same board. Any chance of calling the cops and seeing if this has happened to any other hot tub owners in the area? You never know. Good luck.

Either that, or you did mention that you just got the part replaced. Obviously the people that replaced it knew it was there and how to get to it.

Paranoia sucks. Don't let this ruin how you think day-to-day.

Sorry for the loss. It could have been worse:

that was our first theory and it feels like the best theory. however, the company is top-notch, so it's not them. I would like to question whether the installer that serviced us still works there. Maybe he got booted off the job and needs some money so he's paying a visit to some previous jobs.

The cops don't really seem interested in this scheme. I'm sure if it is happening all over they might take a look, but I told the cop my theory and he just said "maybe someone did it for kicks, or wants to pawn it".

He didn't really care to understand the concept that the person who did this knew what they were doing.

I'm worried that the rest of the tub's innards will get fucked up from the cold weather. This stuff is meant to be cycled with hot water flowing through in the winter, or it needs to be winterized.

There's a house around the corner with a hot tub as well, so I may go see them and ask if anything like this has happened to them. Unless they're behind it. Everyone's a suspect!

Yeah we called the cops but he pretty much just made a quick 5 minute report and didn't sound to hopeful.

I agree it sounds like an inside job. The guy knew which of the four sides to destroy to get to the board, he must have been pretty knowledgable about our GFI, because he couldn't get to it, it's covered in snow, he must have known our dog wasn't going to bite his nuts... and that's all I want to post!

I do have the serial number on the invoice actually. Though I'm not sure how that will help save us the $1000 deductable.

To me that's the worse part. I think of what good citizens bouche and I are. We make an honest living and work DAMN hard for $1000.00. That's a trip to Cuba for Christ sake.

I know it's just money, but it sucks when someone you don't know decides how you spend it.

The thought of that guy even looking at my dog (we have a doggie door so she may have wondered out) just eats at me. Grrrrrr.

It sounds very much like someone who had knowledge of the premises...a contractor, one of their employees or even a neighbour. That toally blows, but I would definitely make a police report. The more information they have the more effectively than can solve problems. Theft is so repulsive, especially when it's for something that the person is not using because they're in desperate need. (you know the old argument about the loaf of bread for the starving family) I'm wondering about the water...how and why did they get rid of it.

that's brutal. sorry to hear that folks. do these things get sold on ebay or anything like that?

i've been looking online and I don't see "Hot Tub Controllers" or "Hot Tub Heaters" taking any hits anywhere. IT doesn't seem like a widespread thing. Must be a new scam.